Daylight saving time - Germany

69 posts in this topic

Yes, this day is coming upon us soon. This is where we will be able to see the sunlight when we leave work. The true beginning of Spring. Biergartens will start to open up. Spring is here. But be warned, in Germany the day that this happens is different than the US. The US will still observe this day as the first Sunday in April, which this year is April 2 at 3:00 AM. Next year, the US will change this to the second Sunday of March.

200px-PragueTownHallClock.jpg

I learned the difficult way with the difference between the US and Germany in regards to DSL. The first year I was here, I was in Konstanz and looked at the last boat scheduled to arrive back in Lindau. Well, I was off by an hour, which confused me when I asked the attendent that the last boat leaves at seven, right? He responded, "Yes." I then asked, but where is the boat? He responded the last boat leaves at seven. this went in a circle until he mentioned that the previous day the time changed.

I love the long summer days. When it is still light out when I go home from work. And it is nice and warm enough to barbeque in the backyard.

Yeee haaa :)

Just for info and future reference: in Europe (not just Germany) the clocks always go forward on the last Sunday in March.

Here is a little memory trick:

Spring Forward, Fall Back.

Because in spring you move the clocks forward, and in fall you move them an hour back.

So let me get this right, when you faint you fall forward, and when you are scared you spring back. SO I get it now... fall forward spring back. I like that mnenomic.

Well, I have a question. My wife and baby are flying into Munich from the States on Sunday. Do I meet them an hour later, German savings time, which will be the scheduled arrival time, or ignore the clocks and get there at what would have been the arrival time in the absence of the change? One assumes the airline would have accounted for the change, but maybe not...

I don't think anyone will be getting up in the middle of the night to move their clocks forward but, just for the record,

the switch takes place at 2am on Sunday.

At last my kitchen clock will show the correct time! It's such a bitch to hang up that I never bothered changing it last fall. Now all I have to do is remember to not subtract an hour when I look at it.

oh bugger. we're off on a stag weekend to zell am see and have to get the train back on sunday at 12:56. but in reality the clocks will have sprung forward, that will actually be 11:56 bodyclock time, right? one hour less lying in torment wishing i hadn't drunk that final obstler/stroh/jaegermeister/[insert foolish schnapps drink here].

knowing i'll forget i just changed my clocks and watches

All of my clocks are luckily all automatic, but its going to confuse the hell out of me for the 1 or 2 non-automatic clocks in the morning, particularly with my hangover, ahh... damm starkbier.

Today, 2:48 am

how did you manage that pepper? The time between 2 and 3am didn't exist this morning! :huh:

He must have been in the twilight zone...