Cooking with Philadelphia cream cheese

107 posts in this topic

I still haven't found a solution either. Buko, as suggested in an earlier post, did not work either. The particular recpie I was trying to make was a type of cream cheese bon-bon that requires no baking.  I've tried and failed with so many different types of "frischkäse" thatI've completely given up. I now make it only when I'm in the States for Xmas (once every 10 years). Some other recipes might work with the spreadable stuff, but this one does not. I hope Barefootlucy has better luck in Berlin:)

2 hours ago, Uncle Nick said:

Here's a German recipe for you.

That is not a cheese cake.

All cognac is brandy, but not all brandy is cognac.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nick said:

Well, that's what the Germans call it!

But there is no cheese, cream or otherwise. They have "liver cheese" without cheese (or liver) too, they seem to like to say something is cheese with no to little regard to the real cheese content. ;)

I also make a delicious cheesecake with full fat quark and even an equally delicious low carb version of that same cheesecake with the  40%fat quark ( just for me). :))

46 minutes ago, PLS said:

But there is no cheese, cream or otherwise. They have "liver cheese" without cheese (or liver) too, they seem to like to say something is cheese with no to little regard to the real cheese content. ;)

Kiwi fruit has no kiwis in it either.

3 hours ago, Uncle Nick said:

Well, that's what the Germans call it!

They also call it peanut butter but it ain't Jiff :P

we expect our cream cheese to have a  consistency closer to  butter than to whipped cream.

kasekuchen ≠ cheese cake 

3 hours ago, Erdmann said:

Kiwi fruit has no kiwis in it either.

Soylent kiwis is made of people!  ;)

20 minutes ago, PLS said:

Soylent kiwis is made people!  ;)

But where's the Ceasar in Ceasar Salad? :D

4 hours ago, PLS said:

Schlagsahne is cream and there's also quark in it which would fall under the category of "otherwise"

Quark is not cheese and I've never had a decent cheesecake made with it.

I find Philly in nearly every grocery store here. The equivalent is Frischkäse.

Glad this discussion is now over for 2016. See you next year.

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Quark is not cheese and I've never had a decent cheesecake made with it.

I find Philly in nearly every grocery store here. The equivalent is Frischkäse.

True.

you mean you find whipped cream cheese everywhere....it ain't the same. :)

Does anyone know if it is possible to use Philadelphia to make the philly cheese steak pizza? Since I ate one from Dominos in Florida on my holidays I am hooked, but sadly not available here?

Oh *hell* no!  Philly as in cheese steak has nothing to do with Philadelphia as in cream cheese.

You know Google? You should use it sometime, there are all kinds of recipes out there for Philly cheese steak and Philly cheese steak pizza...

To be fair, Subway has been offering Philadelphia Cream Cheese, as an alternative to cheese slices, for quite a few years now (6 or 7??). You're not going to find anything remotely close to the real thing (Philly Cheese Steak) here, anyway, so why not?

3 hours ago, Guest said:

To be fair, Subway has been offering Philadelphia Cream Cheese, as an alternative to cheese slices, for quite a few years now (6 or 7??). You're not going to find anything remotely close to the real thing (Philly Cheese Steak) here, anyway, so why not?

Indeed. I have tried the philly cheese steak sub here in Germany.

http://www.subway.com/de-de/menunutrition/menu/product?ProductId=3998&MenuCategoryId=344

It is delicious, but it is not the same as the philly cheese steak pizza. I do wish Dominos pizza Germany would make it available here.