Cooking with Philadelphia cream cheese

107 posts in this topic

I read in a recent cooking thread that Philadelphia 'doppelrahmstufe' separates on heating, but on looking at the huge range of Philly cheese in the supermarket it seems to me that the doppelrahmstufe is what used to be the normal stuff (philly with no explanation), which is recommended for cooked dishes, with the reduced fat (15 and 5 %) and flavoured varieties recommended as a spread only.

thoughts?

I've heard that as well, but I've made cheesecake with the reduced fat stuff before and it doesn't taste too much different, just the consistency is a bit runnier..

I like philly on a good tomato pesto bagel...mmmmm

Also this is the only good thing about Philadelphia ;)

In all seriousness though I never cook with it so I could not give a valid answer. Don_rina might be able to answer your question.

It has a lot to do with the speed in which you heat it up as well (the slower the better). I use the doublecreamstuff all the time and have no problem.

What I'd like to know is, why is it that when you mix cream cheese and honey and walnuts...mmmm... the honey seems to make the cream cheese get all runny?

@eurovol- :rolleyes: good one.

@Teabird-Midwest goulash does not in any way, shape or form resemble Hungarian goulash. It's a dish made with hamburger, onions, garlic, canned tomato soup and elbow macaroni. And it's dang tasty.

lol i love this! creamcheese to goulash... nice change

mmm. Midwest goulash sounds like what my husband (from Ohio) described to me as sloppy joes. is it?

I think I'll stick to Yorkshire pudding.

No, not really. Sloppy joes wouldn't have macaroni in them. My mom made sloppy joes with hamburger, onion, ketchup and mustard and brown sugar. They are SO good.

In my travels across the U.S. i have yet to see the same recipe for goulash untill now. Jennyl's sounds very similar to my best friends recipe. Her being from nebraska is probably the reason.

@teabird

Midwest goulash orginated from German immigrants that settled in the midwest at the end of the 1800s and the begining of the 1900s along with the hamburger.

sloppy joes are great! they are a sandwhich- this goulash stuff isn't. so yeah ground meat, tomato paste, seasoning, etc (sometimes onion or something)

esp good w/ tatortots and/or baked beans (hehehe ate that in school heaps!)

old Ore Ida tatertots.

I forgot about those it has been so long. Speaking of tatertots now, I remember going to Sonic drive in for tatertots with cheese on top mmmm

nothing beats fried cheesecurds though people (if you're going someplace for fried food that involves cheese)

(yes, i know tatortots aren't necessarily fried. i know i don't fry them)