Public vs. private health insurance

106 posts in this topic

Another add here: if anybody ever says to you: private insurance will cost this in 30 years´ time or public insurance will cost that - ask them about their crystal ball. Nobody knows. Absolutely nobody.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I have a crystal ball: Germany is an anti-children country, birth rate falls, life expectancy increases, so the proportion of old and sick to young and healthy people makes one be sure, that premiums will rise significantly in future. Both private and public.

22 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

I have a crystal ball: Germany is an anti-children country, birth rate falls,

Your crystal ball's broken, the birth rate's been rising for five years. 

43 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Your crystal ball's broken, the birth rate's been rising for five years. 

I don't care about five years. The glass ist half empty. The situation would have been already bad with 2.0 rate because the life expectacy rises. Here the chance that Germany will go back to reproducing its population (2.0 rate) is zero.

geburten-zusammengefasste-geburtenziffer

On 9/15/2019, 12:32:56, PandaMunich said:

The Alterrückstellung, i.e. the part of your contribution that's saved with the intent to lower your contributions when you get older in no way compensates the rise in costs because of the higher medical needs of the ageing members of that specific "pot".

Ok, so now I understand why my private top up insurance went from € 36 to € 55 per month within 5 years.

23 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I have a crystal ball: Germany is an anti-children country, birth rate falls, life expectancy increases, so the proportion of old and sick to young and healthy people makes one be sure, that premiums will rise significantly in future. Both private and public.

At the moment, I don´t disagree with you re your last sentence! This is what I always point out to our clients! Nobody knows! I sometimes miss out on a business contract because of that. People want guarantees and i cannot offer them.

Looking back: I never expected the fall of the Soviet Union in my lifetime, as an example.

By the way, public health insurance prices are rising next January for higher earners.I am sure some private insurers will announce the same. ie higher prices.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.