Public vs. private health insurance

119 posts in this topic

I think the key points I wanted to get across in my posting was that the Private health insurance is expensive and does not pay out as much as the state controlled system. The state regulated health insurers are also expensive (for younger people more expensive than the private schemes) but pay out more as they do not enforce an excess.

Then your key points are incorrect.  Private policies all differ - from ones with no excess that cover way more than the public system, to ones with an excess that cover around about the same as a public system (they are required to provide a certain level of minimum cover though).

In fact, your post is basically full of errors and misleading statements.  The only real value you've brought here is that you've suggested that people new to the system should see an independent broker who understands the system.  That is good advice.

My comments were based on my experiences, my situation and advice given to me by "experts". If this does not apply in your case (or your business), then the overriding rule is still seek advice and be aware when moving to Germany that you may incur costs that were not so high in the country you have moved from. 

The tone of your reply I find somewhat rude.

"- anyone over 55 years of age: you can re-enter German public system by moving out of country for a few months to another EU-memberstate with state health insurance system and then applying for "obligatorische Anschlussversicherung" in German public insurance when coming back under the EU directive 883/2004, Article 6.    Or, if your spouse is in public health insurance, you can stop your employment/occupation and become a depedent family member...in which case you, too, can reenter into public health insurance and re-start your occupation shortly afterwards under the same rule of "obligatorische Anschlussversicherung"."

THis means anybody can come back in the public system? So for ex at 55 ages I decide to come back in Italy for an year, then I want to come back in Germany for all remaing years, I can aplly for public without bailing out all the money skipped before, within the years I experienced the use of private insurance??

Hello, I am continuously getting dissapointed by my public health insurance, Termin wait times is at least 2 weeks for whatever I call, no doctor will take me as Hausartzt and so on .

But also the private insurance doesn't look so nice, as the costs are quite unpredictable, especially if you really want to go to the doctor .

So I would like to make a minimal private health insurance and maximize my net income .

But from what I see, even if I will take a very very cheap private insurance, from the net income calculators, my net income will not grow by the difference between the public and the private that I am actually paying .

Can somebody explain this ?

20 minutes ago, bbogdanmircea said:

Hello, I am continuously getting dissapointed by my public health insurance, Termin wait times is at least 2 weeks for whatever I call, no doctor will take me as Hausartzt and so on .

Most doctors will favor private patients (more willing to take them, make appointments earlier, call you in before the publicly insured when you are in the office...). However, not all behave this way. My preferred GP in Frankfurt for example doesn't AT ALL. 

23 minutes ago, bbogdanmircea said:

But from what I see, even if I will take a very very cheap private insurance, from the net income calculators, my net income will not grow by the difference between the public and the private that I am actually paying .

Can somebody explain this ?

I am not sure what you mean. If your premiums for private insurance are lower then your net income is higher. Are you maybe talking about your yearly excess?

Yes, I want to have a lower monthly premium for private than the percentage that now is taken from my salary and which is quite high and I am getting basically nothing for it ... at least I have a higher income

1 hour ago, bbogdanmircea said:

Yes, I want to have a lower monthly premium for private than the percentage that now is taken from my salary and which is quite high and I am getting basically nothing for it ... at least I have a higher income

If you ever have a car accident, major surgery, illness, then you can see how your health insurance protects you.

That is what insurance is for. I hope you remain well and healthy.

So I can pay hundreds of euro monthly and get a shitty service in the hope God forbid that the insurance will help in case of accident ...

7 minutes ago, bbogdanmircea said:

So I can pay hundreds of euro monthly and get a shitty service in the hope God forbid that the insurance will help in case of accident ...

What exactly is your problem? What do you mean by "shitty service"? 

10 minutes ago, bbogdanmircea said:

What shitty service is it that you are getting? [EDIT: someonesdaugher beat me to it!]

You don't have to "hope" that the insurance company will pay. They WILL pay if you get sick. I had an operation in June that cost over 28,000 euros. The insurance company paid, no questions asked. 

Health care is excellent in Germany. The whole public/private system in insanely complicated and if you are privately insured you have the not-so-often-mentioned disadvantage that you are burdened with some extra paperwork (having to pay bills and asking for reimbursement from the insurer, getting estimates from the dentist for approval, etc.) but when you get sick things work out pretty smoothly. Hospitals are generally very good.

6 minutes ago, bbogdanmircea said:

Isn't that the case with all insurances? We pay car insurance in case of an accident, house insurance in case of a robbery, and so on. Yes, health insurance is expensive, but so is health care.

I'm wondering if there are specific areas where the public coverage or service is less than average, and should be complemented by private insurance.

The first that come to mind is dental care, eye care...maybe there are others?

Is this something people tend to do in Germany, or is public health care as excellent as described overall?

Many publicly insured people also take out supplementary hospital cover for private/semi-private room/treatment/chief surgeon. Some people also like, for example, to have supplementary alternative medical treatment available eg Chinese medicine, acupuncture etc, PPR

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Don't get me wrong the service is good but the access to it is a pain . And they avoid to do too many investigation if you are public .

12 hours ago, bbogdanmircea said:

Don't get me wrong the service is good but the access to it is a pain . And they avoid to do too many investigation if you are public .

Going on 27 yrs. on public, have had a few operations, illnesses, etc. and have never experienced this.

13 hours ago, bbogdanmircea said:

The formerly "shitty" service is good now but access is a pain and 'they' avoid investigation (whatever that means)? You speak in riddles. 

Yes what I mean they have very nice clinics, medical facilities and so on, but my impression is that they are on purpose trying to limit the access to them .

For example, in my home country for 25 Euro you can get a blood analysis that contains more than 20 parameters, well in Germany they will make the minimal one that contains around 5 or 6 . Is it so difficult or expensive and does it really cost so much ? Where do those hundreds of euros payed monthly go ? 

1 hour ago, bbogdanmircea said:

Yes what I mean they have very nice clinics, medical facilities and so on, but my impression is that they are on purpose trying to limit the access to them .

Yes, basically for those that need medical treatment.

If you want unnecessary things getting done for fun you can pay them out of your own pocket, the doctors will be happy to test you on whatever you want. But the insurance will not pay for it.

For example, in my home country for 25 Euro you can get a blood analysis that contains more than 20 parameters, well in Germany they will make the minimal one that contains around 5 or 6 . Is it so difficult or expensive and does it really cost so much ?

In your home country – Romania – doctors earn – how much? 800 Euro a month? I heard that young doctors even earn as low as 300,- per month. So why do you expect the price for a blood test be the same as in Romania?

Where do those hundreds of euros payed monthly go ? 

Are you sure you understand the principle of an insurance?

If you'd need an ambulance after an accident that would cost you easily 350,- Euro, possibly more. If an emergency doctor would be on scene, add another 400,00 - 500,00.

Removing an appendix costs nearly 3.000 Euro (only the operation), transplanting a lung more than 100.000. 

Treatment after a heart attack is relatively cheap – with around 2.500,- If one needs a Stent that cost more than 16.000 and a bypass would be near 30.000.  

On 24. August 2017 um 11:23:54, Smaug said:

What shitty service is it that you are getting? [EDIT: someonesdaugher beat me to it!]

You don't have to "hope" that the insurance company will pay. They WILL pay if you get sick. I had an operation in June that cost over 28,000 euros. The insurance company paid, no questions asked. 

Health care is excellent in Germany. The whole public/private system in insanely complicated and if you are privately insured you have the not-so-often-mentioned disadvantage that you are burdened with some extra paperwork (having to pay bills and asking for reimbursement from the insurer, getting estimates from the dentist for approval, etc.) but when you get sick things work out pretty smoothly. Hospitals are generally very good.

Some very good points there, Smaug, and, by the way, I'm happy for you you were able to have your operation and hopefully speedy recovery!

Just one or two points- sometimes people also need paperwork re public insurance eg getting approval for certain types of dental work, root canal treatment, optical, fertility treatment etc. And those medical issues not covered ( or only partly subsidised ) by public insurance often lead people to take out supplementary private insurance - and back to square one with paperwork😀

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

5 hours ago, bbogdanmircea said:

For example, in my home country for 25 Euro you can get a blood analysis that contains more than 20 parameters, well in Germany they will make the minimal one that contains around 5 or 6 .

Not true. I have my blood drawn twice per year with about 20 parameters at my Hausharzt and my public insurance covers every cent.