Certificate of tax residency

21 posts in this topic

My account man in Portugal asked me to provide a certificate of tax residency from Germany. First he gave me a Portuguese form (translated to English) that the finanzamt should sign. But AFAIK, the finanzamt does not accept non-german documents.

Then he asked me for some sort of certificate from finanzamt that proves that I am tax registered in Germany. I dug a bit more and got to this site:

https://www.elsteronline.de/eportal/Leistungen.tax

Then I registered on the portal using this page:

https://www.elsteronline.de/eportal/eop/auth/Registrierung.tax

Now I am awaiting my activation code by post.

So my questions:

1) Am I going in the right direction?

2) What is the exact name for the "certificate"? Does it exist or a tax card is equivalent?

3) Can I do something else toward solving this while waiting for this activation code?

Are you currently working in Germany? If so, can you not just send him a payslip? Lohensteuer cards were scrapped a couple of years ago, but everyone still has a unique tax number I think. Mine is on my payslips.

If you have never been paid in Germany then you won't have a tax number. If memory serves, we got our tax number/Lohensteuer karte sent to us after we registered our residence with the KVR. Someone else can jump in here perhaps, because, as I said, those cards don't exist anymore. A final point... you are going to need an accountant, so why not research one in Munich and ask them? My accountant is Elke Garreis in Auenstr., and she is very good and speaks English. Perhaps Google her and send her a note. Her prices are reasonable and she knows the rules therefore saving me money each year.

It sounds like you need a "Bescheinigung in Steuersachen" (used to be called an "steuerliche Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung") which you can get from your local Finanzamt and confirms you are known to them and have paid any outstanding taxes to date. However, if you are not known to them (as would seem to be the case) this might be a problem!

the_cat, I do have a tax number, my wife is being payed by a German company and we declare taxes together.

YorkshireLad6, I have a tax number (or at least a Personliche Identifikationsnummer). I got it when I register in Finanzamt with my wife. Even my kid has one. I assume that it is the tax number because that is the number that shows up in my wife's steuernummer in her payslip.

But I have never declared taxes here, it is my first year...

A " Persönliche Identifikationsnummer" is simply an ID number - every resident in Germany has (or should have) one, even children. It is (will be) used as a tax ID, so on the basis of that you can request a "Bescheinigung in Steuersachen" - which will be pretty empty if you never paid tax, but should fulfil the requirements of the Portuguese that you are established in Germany for tax purposes.

YorkshireLad6, that is good info. So I just show up at Finanzam with my Persönliche Identifikationsnummer and ask for the Bescheinigung in Steuersachen? My Deutsch is a bit crappy, will saying those magic words be enough? Also I assume the links I posted are useless?

I had to get one recently and was required to request it in writing. It took about 3 weeks to be sent to me.

He he Mike... best of luck just showing up somewhere in Germany, requesting something, and then getting it in your hands there and then!! That Elster stuff is for people that want to complete stuff like their tax return / MwSt on-line themselves. If you can't read German to a good standard then you are going to struggle big time to do your tax returns yourself.

YorkshireLad, thanks a lot!

Did you deliver it yourself? Otherwise how would they enforce the cost payment? Also, is the Munich Finanzamt office in the Ruppertstraße? Me and my wife were told to go to Deroystraße to register, when she made her contract. What is the difference?

Also, I only have the "Persönliche Identifikationsnummer", is that equivalent to the steuernummer in this context?

You said your wife has a tax number and you submit together, so use that. You can add a comment with your Persönliche Identifikationsnummer for completeness if you wish. Like I said, I didn't have to pay, but I also know the guy who deals with my affairs in the Finanzamt personally, as we regularly chat on the phone when I have a question, or am late with a payment, so he may have been kind to me. I'm sure they will come back to you quickly if they have any questions or want money. Deroystrasse is the central service centre. You submit to the relevant "Abteilung" according to your name, so "Melga" (for example) would be Abteilung II/III

I have to be honest - I didn't use the form - I just called my friend and asked him for the certificate - I needed it to avoid withholding tax in India. After it had not arrived after 2 weeks I called him again to remind him, and got it by fax a few days later and in the post a few days after that.

I'm still having a small problem with the tax number. I provided my Identifikatiosnummer to my tax account man in Portugal but he said it should be a 9 digit number and not an 11 digit number. He also sent me a document saying something like "tax number for VAT purpose" would be in this format "DExxxxxxxxx". That seems to be an european VAT number. Is the German tax number (or Identifikatiosnummer) equal to the VAT number?

No.

Your Portuguese tax advisor should remember that private persons who do not have self-employed income never have VAT numbers.

@MikeMelga: Were you able to get the certificate that you wanted? Could you please elaborate on that?

@Others: I am facing the some problem now. I would like to have a certificate stating that I am German Tax Resident. Does anyone have an update on this? What is the right way to get it?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Best regards,

Luis

I had to provide one of these a few months ago. My accountant told me to fill out this form (see link below) and to mail it to my local Finazamt. It took about 3 weeks for them to mail the cert back; not sure if you can accelerate the process by going in person.

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.berlin.de%2Fsen%2Ffinanzen%2Fdokumentendownload%2Fsteuern%2Finformationen-fuer-steuerzahler-%2Fantrag_auf_steuerbescheinigung.pdf&ei=MJHPVMa9HdCV7Aa0zIHwAg&usg=AFQjCNHhy0uL0oaTFQX3Dy5Ia5ehhVNpwg&sig2=GNX5HMbNnH5_O7QQX0TLhg

I think this form came from a Berlin website, but I used it in Hannover without any problems.

Hi Luis,

Basically you need 2 documents:

- 1 from Portuguese finances saying you have un-registered yourself. You get this document when you unregister.

- 1 from German finances saying you are registered here. Got lucky and Finanzamt sent it by mail.

You have to un-register in Portugal when you are sure that you will stay at least more than 183 days in another country in that year.

I got lucky on the German side because the Finanzamt sent me a letter stating that I was registered here, but it took them almost a year to send it...

PM me if you need more info on this.

IMPORTANT THING: DO NOT FILL YOUR TAXES in Portugal before talking to me.

On 1/28/2014, 4:34:18, YorkshireLad6 said:

You can download this application form from the Berlin Finanzamt - it's Finanzamt neutral and in German and English - simply include the address of the Finanzamt you are applying to and post it off. Note there may be a charge (in Berlin the certificate costs 17.90€ to issue, but mine in Munich was free)

YorkshireLad6, I am also in a similar situation. I will be relocating to India later this year in October-November, having been tax resident in Germany for 2017 and having paid all my taxes here.

My questions:

1. My advisor in India asked me to get the "witholding tax certificate" and "tax residency certificate" from Tax authorities in Germany, before leaving for India in order to preclude being asked to pay taxes on Income that has has already suffered tax in Germany. What if any, is the difference in the two certificates? Does the above application form serve the purspose of both?

2. When can I apply for it? Alerady now or will I have to wait for a point in time?

I am assuming this application can also be submitted personally to the Finanzamt in Deroystrasse in Munich.

cheers,

itsnikee