Computer repair costs constantly increasing

17 posts in this topic

Hello People,

Actually I am quite nervous to write but before act I need to get some opinion in order to solve my problem:

As usual, my computer needed repair so I went to Sigoratis Siggelkow Computer in Hamburg as suggested by a print shop.

First we signed a paper to pay 25 for Diagnosis which needed a day as they said. The day after they have called saying that it will need 3 days for diagnosis (!). But luckyly they called only two days after my computer's check-in and they have explained its PROBLEM; saying that ""the -X- piece -100 euro- must be changed and if we can't find that "X" piece we leave it as it is and you pay only the cost of diagnosis 25 euro and not 125 euro".

They haven't even mentioned of the other POSSIBLE compllications.

We confirmed.

Today 5 days later they're calling us claiming that they have found the X piece, CHANGED but now something else went wrong and "Y" piece must be changed! So it will cost 215 euro!

They are adding and adding something new each time- I can't discuss their competence but I am really bored of these situations when they OBLIGE you to pay more and more and they do not even mentioned

If I say no, will pay 125euro the same and receive a NON repaired computer.. So I am obliged to have a new increased invoice even I have nt confirmed before.

I'm not rich. I have even thought about paying 25 euro for diagnosis (which was not even correct).

Any ideas about what should I do? Consumer rights?

Thanks-

B.

Hi bella74,

I’ve done this kind of work so I’ll try to advise if I can.

Firstly, computers are complex and taking one that isn’t working to repair isn’t necessarily straightforward. Things like this can happen and if the computer did have more than one problem that might not have been obvious from the beginning (if a car won’t even start, a mechanic won’t necessarily know that the breaks aren’t working from looking at the engine). No one who knows what they are doing would guarantee you that a repair will cost x unless x is a very big number, I’ve often known repairs cost more than a new computer would. Unless the problem is obvious and easy to fix it isn’t possible to know if other issues aren’t going to crop up later.

That said, if you are concerned about what you are being told then you can tell us a little about what the problem was and what the x and y pieces the shop recommended are and either I or someone else might be able to lay your fears to rest that what you are being quoted sounds reasonable, given the problem.

James

It also depends on what type of computer it is. If it is just a generic PC then a reputable company should have a stock-pile of compatible test parts in order to make a full and complete diagnosis before starting work. However, if we are talking about anything non-generic or a laptop, it is of course possible as JamesO says that another problem becomes apparent later.

Example.

1. You drop your laptop and it won't power on anymore.

2. The shop says you need a new motherboard.

3. They fit a new motherboard and realise that the screen is now dead too.

Was it feasible and would they have any way of testing that the screen was still working before they started work on the motherboard? ... for 25 Euro what sort of level of diagnosis is reasonable?

Best of luck,

D

depending on what needs to be replaced 215.- is still relatively civil for a PC repair. for that price the replacement parts are apparently cheap, what you are paying for is the tech doing the troubleshooting(which isn't always easy).

Thank you very much for editing my title and for your the comments-

I accept that the repair isn’t necessarily straightforward.

But I would like to be informed before a little bit before. And would not like to receive contrasting answers each time. Our conversations were based on prices changing each time instead of the problems solution.

Anyway in my case, everything went wrong. A couple of days later they called us saying that Vista does not exist anymore so they need to put windows premium X?. And the cost will double. This part of the story is more complicated. And I should not write here their other offered solutions I guess, we did not accept them anyway.

When we called our German IT friends (unfortunately all living in other cities) they told us that the repair shop should already know this detail when they received the laptop. And the solutions were contrasting again. We were just confused and angry..

Now:

The hard disk has been changed. There's windows vista uploaded again(they said?). None of my programs exists anymore. Word, Vaio Movie Story etc.. I can't even watch blu-ray.

They said that I won't lose anything. ALL my data has gone(I have copied some of them on safe modus before giving it to repair). Buttons (Volume, play, stop, AV Mode etc) don't work.

But I need to work!

In a hurry, I have forgot to ask the old hard disk while I was paying and picking up my old Sony Vaio, but they should give it back to me: Instead they kept my old hard disk, now I am going to get it back. Because the guy on the phone said it was still there and to confirm that it was mine he was looking to my pictures.

Still do not know what caused the problem, how can I prevent it (I have asked twice while picking it up, their answer was: "it won't repeat again")

Yes, I won't be there again, never...

well i agree with James.

I work in IT and basically refuse to repair peoples computers.

Siggelkow are a good company, i have know them for years.

The problem is that realistically the majority of "old" by this i mean anything over 2 years, are not worth repairing.

No-one is willing to pay the costs of diagnosis involved.

Oh and the comment that they should have some parts, i'm sure(know) they do, but the parts they have to sell are "new" and uptodate, and therefore do not necessarily fit at all in an older computer.

Macs are worth repairing, but that will cost you a lot more.

Learn to repair it yourself and save a bunch of $$. You'll Get better deals of parts as well

I know this is an old post but I would like to add my 2cents... sounds like Sigoratis Siggelkow are amateurs. If you say a diagnosis costs 25 then they should stick to that and diagnose the computer completely. Finding a new fault after quoting you 125 and then wanting 215 is very unprofessional. If I ran my business like that I'd be closed down by now. We offer diagnosis for free, if we quote a customer we stick to that price. If I found a different problem after quoting I would fix it and pay for it myself but that is usually highly unlikely. The things that go wrong with PC's 9 out of 10 times is either the hard-drive or a blocked fan, on notebooks it's generally a blocked fan or liquid (coffee, beer) over the keyboard. Phones and iPads get dropped. By the way my website http://www.zeklink.de (we accept repairs via post too!)

51 minutes ago, TallGuy said:

I know this is an old post but I would like to add my 2cents... sounds like Sigoratis Siggelkow are amateurs. If you say a diagnosis costs 25 then they should stick to that and diagnose the computer completely. Finding a new fault after quoting you 125 and then wanting 215 is very unprofessional. If I ran my business like that I'd be closed down by now. We offer diagnosis for free, if we quote a customer we stick to that price. If I found a different problem after quoting I would fix it and pay for it myself but that is usually highly unlikely. The things that go wrong with PC's 9 out of 10 times is either the hard-drive or a blocked fan, on notebooks it's generally a blocked fan or liquid (coffee, beer) over the keyboard. Phones and iPads get dropped. By the way my website http://www.zeklink.de (we accept repairs via post too!)

This post on no way sounds like an advert....

Anyone know if Sigoratis Siggelkow Computer are still open?

I am interested to know if their business model was successful or not.

Can someone move this to to the adverts section?

However if you do what you say, then good on you, seems like a fair business model.

The Siggelkow on Wandsbeker Chausee moved to a much smaller shop along the same road but also further away from the advantageous position just by the U Bahn Station a couple of years ago. One of the older people there was quite chatty and nice but. AHve never used their services as they seemed expensive. The guy said it was difficult compete against Saturn & Media Markt ..

A phone shop just opposite the S Bahn Station Wandsbeker Chausee repairs laptops for a flat priced rate of €99/- according to a noticeboard there. Haven't tried it either, but they moved from a  ratty building to a new renovated one ... if that can be any indication.

2 hours ago, Campari said:

The guy said it was difficult compete against Saturn & Media Markt ..

That I can believe.

One word of advice: don't upgrade your windows until it is mature, i.e. until the first service pack is available. 

I have used that rule for 17 years but for some stupid reasons (MS free upgrade) I upgraded my 3 PCs to Windows 10.

Since then, I've had all sort of problems. And each one was non trivial, taking several hours to fix them. Worst, they are recurring.

Most of the issues are driver related, and that is not 100% MS fault, but still this is a bloody mess.

Windows 7 is still the best windows ever.

19 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

One word of advice: don't upgrade your windows until it is mature, i.e. until the first service pack is available. 

I have used that rule for 17 years but for some stupid reasons (MS free upgrade) I upgraded my 3 PCs to Windows 10.

Since then, I've had all sort of problems. And each one was non trivial, taking several hours to fix them. Worst, they are recurring.

Most of the issues are driver related, and that is not 100% MS fault, but still this is a bloody mess.

completely agree! I had a chance of upgrading to Window 10 for free, but I am still super happy with Window 7!!

21 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

That's like saying breast cancer is the best cancer ever!

1 hour ago, phranco said:

That's like saying breast cancer is the best cancer ever!

A comment made out of ignorance... educate yourself and stop being a fanboy,

I suggest you could address to a private repairman. Find someone on the web ads or maybe through word of mouth. It will surely be cheaper and yes, you probably will be given a garantuee too (should arrange it with the repairman)

By the way if you somewhat good at electronics you just need repair kit to diagnose it using instructions from youtube e.g.