Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Game direct-download services discussion thread

21 posts in this topic

I'll begin by admitting I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread. Misc, Life in Germany, Telecoms & TV since it's more or less similar to Netflix and such services? Even Legal because of what this post will chiefly be about. Mods feel free to move it to wherever it ought to be.

So this is a general thread to discuss the use of direct-download services like Steam and Uplay in Germany, because experiences might as well be consolidated in one place. For Steam my only experience was activating a Germany-bought Skyrim and I was easily able to set it up to play in English. All good.

Now for what motivated me to start this thread...

So Might & Magic X has been released by Ubisoft and I decided to set up an Uplay account so I could buy and direct-download it along with Heroes 6 for half price. M&M X is supposed to be a sort of throwback to the DOS-era Xeen games, of which I have fond memories. Among them, editing my config.sys to enable extended memory to take advantage of the 4 extra megs of RAM I'd just bought - my first ever game-driven PC upgrade. Ah, digression. Anyway, I registered an Uplay account, filled up my shopping cart, and entered my billing and credit card info. So far so good. Then I clicked to confirm - the final step - and got the following message:

"Aufgrund des Jugendshultzgesetzes sind einige Titel nur zwischen 22:00 Uhr und 6:00 Uhr erhaeltlich. In der Zeit zwischen 6:00 Uhr und 22:00 Uhr koennen Sie das Produkt nicht erwerben. Sie koennen es aber in Ihren Eeinkaufswagen legen und spaeter kaufen"

Or in English: "Due to youth-protection laws, some titles are only available between 10PM and 6AM. You cannot acquire the product during the hours between 6AM and 10PM. You can leave it in your shopping cart and purchase it later."

I'm sorry, WHAT? This earns the award for the stupidest thing I've read all year! (Granted, it's only January 26.) Someone has GOT to explain this ridiculous German law to me. Firstly, neither game is rated above 16+. And what teenager in 2014 can't figure out how to access the internet after 10pm? If kids have internet in their bedrooms, then their parents must trust them with it. If they only have internet in the living room, then the parents can oversee what they are doing. Or is Germany decades ahead of the rest of the world in parental control technology? Secondly, is anyone under 30 excited about a throwback M&M game? And finally, the whole point of direct download is to be able to install and start playing right away. Gaming on demand, essentially. I have to work in the morning. I can't start playing a new game at 10pm! (or later when you include download and install time)

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Does Ubisoft WANT me to pirate the game? A few clicks and I could have had it for free hours ago...

I have not used this Ubisoft service, but I have had many problems with the DRM in their games in the past and even had to send one back because it just would not run on my PC because the DRM was so restrictive (Ubisoft support could not fix the problem!). And they are well known in the community for this, and I must admit to thinking twice now before buying a game from them (and haven't since this problem).

So I am not surprised totally by there stupid approach. And I think that I even read recently that their uplay service (or inbuilt browser?) was full of security holes and really bad.

I must admit that I like steam, it works pretty well. I just changed my PC and I could just install steam and download the games again that I wanted, no searching for the disks, and all my settings and profile are saved so no configuration needed.

I have also used origin from EA, and this is not so good. Problems launching games sometimes, slow, buggy, and on my last PC it managed to install itself with the wrong file security settings which were messed up and I have to manually change them and run the client and all games in administrator mode. Although this does not happen now on my new PC. (Same o/s WIN 7)

I have become a huge fan of Steam and the Xbox market place in Germany. I find that they both work well and have not really had any major issues. Another nice tidbit is that both stores will often charge me the US price for a game verses the Euro price (with the right settings...payment method, profile, and smart DNS).

I got EA's Origin for Sim City and another game and found it to be buggy. Basically the same problems that dj J had with launching a game, crashing occasionally, and it never seemed to patch games properly.

Hello all. I need help in setting up a PC game I just bought on Amazon. It's Civilation V.

On trying to set up, I have to download 'steam' but after getting to 27% , the download stops and tells me to try again later. I've been trying this now for 2 days with always the same result.

Any advice please? Thanks,

Hello...I would start by clearing your 'Downloads' cache...you can find it under 'Settings' in Steam...Edit: I just re-read your post an realize you might be having trouble actually downloading the actual Steam app...if so, disregard. ;)

cache.JPG

Try it like this. 

1) Downloadand install Steam via steam webpage.

2) Use your Civ CD key to add the game to your library (you do it by going to Library, then at the bottom there is an option "activate a product on steam)

3) Download Civ instead of using your CDs to install (it'll automatically install as well)

Thanks. My problem is I can't download the 'steam' product. I've tried to do this from their direct site and from CHIP etc, but nothing works. I tried deleting it

from my computer and starting again, but still no success. Could my computer be blocking it? It is quite new (October this year).

Where can I find the library Snowchief?  (Bibliotech?)

I meant the steam Library, sorry, should've been more clearer. You can access it once you install Steam. 

And no, it's highly unlikely that your firewall or antivirus are blocking steam, steam is used by tens of millions of people as it is the number one gaming platform at the moment.

Back on the problem at hand

So you downloaded steam from here you say?http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Make sure it's this exact link, you have a green icon that says "install Steam" there. Forget about chip and such websites, always and only download direct from the developer.

Yes thanks. I was on this site and have clicked muliple times with no result. After the box comes up with 'Wollen Sie speichern'? I click ja and nothing happens. :angry:

I disabled the adaware virus protection. Still no download. I've also registered my email address with steam. No effect.

What other files do you suggest that I try to download? Seems worth a try.

23 hours ago, Snowchief said:

And no, it's highly unlikely that your firewall or antivirus are blocking steam, steam is used by tens of millions of people as it is the number one gaming platform at the moment.

We had to manually allow in Zonealarm a few years back FWIW

Success! I can now play this game and only have to figure out how!

It downloaded after I updated the window 10 program.

Thank you everyone, especially Snowchief. I see you are from Croatia. We had a holiday there last year and have never met such friendly and generous

people.