Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Teaching English in Bremen

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

I'm an English native speaker moving to Bremen at the end of February and I've been applying for teaching/tutoring jobs. I recently was asked to attend an assessment for the University of Bremen (Fremdsprachenzentrum) and I was wondering if anyone here has had to attend one and, if so, what the assessment process is like?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Are you applying to have your qualifications recognised to teach in public schools or to teach English freelance at language schools?

Bremen has the reputation of having the worst school system in Germany and it is practically impossible for teachers accredited in Bremen to transfer later to another state. On the other hand, if your not planning on staying long it is probably the easiest qualification to obtain.

Thank you, engelchen. I'm looking to teach English, not have my qualification recognized and seeing as I don't necessarily plan on teaching English in Bremen for an extended period of time, hopefully it will not be an issue. I have taught English before in other countries, was just curious as to what the assessment process in getting tutoring/teaching jobs would be like in Germany.

For some reason I had the impression that you were applying for the public schools system (I'm not too sure why). :ph34r:

Did they give any indication what exactly they wanted to assess? If they wanted you to give a test lesson they should have mentioned it...

They have given no indication of what they expect, but I have emailed them to clarify so hopefully they'll get back to me soon. Would hate to be thrown in the deep end and have some very confused students on my hands..

Hi Ihatecoffeee

I moved here to be with my husband, who is German. Since I am qualified in the US to teach in public school and need a steady job as we will be staying here long-term, I am working on getting my credential and studies recognized in Bremen/Bremerhaven, but I don't think they will be recognized so I can work in a Grundschule or Gymnasium. I will probably have to work at a Hochschule or some type of language school since their requirements are different.

I don't know what the assessment would be. Perhaps it is a language/culture test to show your knowledge of the subject. Once you find out more information, I would appreciate it, if you would post it here.

Best of luck on the assessment, whatever it may be.

Stephanie

I am working on getting my credential and studies recognized in Bremen/Bremerhaven, but I don't think they will be recognized so I can work in a Grundschule or Gymnasium. I will probably have to work at a Hochschule or some type of language school since their requirements are different.

How well do you speak German and what subjects are you qualified to teach?

I suggest that you read Becoming a German State Teacher. and Becoming an English teacher in Germany.

I took a German Goethe test for C1 (the 5th of 6 levels) and scored very good. I am qualified to teach German (as a foreign language). I don't expect to teach German, but I would like to teach English or Business English. I have also taken business classes.

I will read the two threads. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ihatecoffee: Have you had your assessment yet? Any advise or tips would be appreciated. I am in Bremen and am currently trying to find an English teaching or tutoring job.

Teaching English as a freelancer to adults through the language schools (Berlitz, inLingua, Wall Street, etc) requires no such assessment, other than an interview and a resume. A CELTA certificate or similar certainly helps. There is plenty to do. Whether it can be full time work, or pay well, is another matter.

Cheers mate, let us know how it's going.

Hi All,

• I am recruiting Business English Trainers for a course in Bremerhaven that will begin in CW 3 next year (16 January 2017).

The course will be every second week on Mondays at 09:30-11:00 am.

Would you be interested in this project, or do you perhaps know someone who might be?

Looking forward to hearing from you with your expected rate per 45 minute teaching unit excluding travel expenses (as these are covered separately) along with your CV at careers@english-crossroads.com and until then,

Have a great day further!

Best,

Lauren 

Lauren Butler-Jost

English Training Manager
    EnglishCrossroads Ltd.
    Stuttgart, Germany