Finding an apartment in Leipzig

145 posts in this topic

Lisa is spot on- join a Mieterverein. Small annual fee and great support for any rental issues. They can check your contract before you sign it. They checked ours and warned us of  a couple of points . 

Insurances needed- do contact one of the experts who advertise on TT ( Johng, Starshollow)-

Rechtschutz, Halfpflict, etc. Doggie insurance as well. Not sure  of licensing laws in Leipzig.

Re Doctor - as Lisa says.

I presume you have done your Abmeldung, and hope the bank account issues  resolve!

Good luck in your new life! 

 

Thanks Lisa also Redmidge!

 

I think I'ms sort of still in shock, realizing I have actually done this move.  I left pretty much everything behind, and have to start from scratch ( Including most likely a EBK ).  Yes I know about the Tiere Verischerung.  I have it as well as a personal liability policy.  The landlord here, required it.

 

My biggest problem is my poor understanding of German.  I am surely hoping I will learn quickly.  I have never been a good learner, unfortunately.  If something interests me I pick it right up, but if it is a chore--- well the lazy old hippie kicks in.  I'm better at hands on learning than book learning.  I don't think a school like Goethe would honestly work for me, besides being quite an expense.  That said, I'm slowly starting to understand a lot more than I did.  I no longer look in bewilderment when the store clerk asks me If I have the change, or states an amount due.  I have had a few short conversations with people while walking my dog.  When the realize I don't understand, they usually speak slowly.  I will look into the Mietverein issue.  I certainly need someone to quide me with renting.  I know this lease was complicated and there are still a few items I don't understand.  Like why I would be charged a cleaning fee, if I must clean everything before I leave.  I'm looking forward to having an apartment that I can decorate the way I want.  One that's not three flights up!  I had knee problems last time I was here, and again.  Today I realized it's because I'm walking a lot more than I did back in NC.  I drove everywhere!

 

So thank you all for putting up with me all this time.  Yes I admit to being "stupid" when I am.  At least to asking stupid questions.  :huh:  The reason I'm suspicious of Wogetra, is they seem so anxious to rent to an Auslander.  Nobody else has.

 

Kenny

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kenny1948 said:

Like why I would be charged a cleaning fee, if I must clean everything before I leave.

 

This sounds a lot like Mr. Lodge here in Munich. It is probably in your contract, though, so you can't get out of it.

 

I hope you can find your "own" place soon. Those furnished rentals with cleaning fees etc. are usually way over priced. They serve short term business renters well when their companies pay.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RedMidge said:

 

I presume you have done your Abmeldung, and hope the bank account issues  resolve!

Good luck in your new life! 

 

 

Do you know that you also need to register your dog, not just yourself? Just checking.

 

Plus there is a dog tax to bear in mind if it is not yet on your radar.

 

https://www.leipzig.de/buergerservice-und-verwaltung/aemter-und-behoerdengaenge/behoerden-und-dienstleistungen/dienstleistung/hundesteuer-52ea674d694a9/

 

Deepl.com is a better translation program than google translate for contractual and official german. Competent advice from a professional is even better. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wogetra are a housing cooperative, rather than a company. They seem to be some hangover from the DDR. Plattenbaus are mostly the apartment equivalent of a Trabant and a lot of them have been demolished over the past few years as people don't like to live in them. They probably have plenty of vacant apartments.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, arsenal21 said:

Wogetra are a housing cooperative, rather than a company. They seem to be some hangover from the DDR. Plattenbaus are mostly the apartment equivalent of a Trabant and a lot of them have been demolished over the past few years as people don't like to live in them. They probably have plenty of vacant apartments.

What is bad about them, please? If you don't mind me interrupting..

I'm just beginning to think of a move to Germany, Essen or Dusseldorf region maybe, have no idea at all about ways to find cheap accommodation... I like small and basic...cat permitted...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I'm in the wrong place...? I was interested reading the posts here, by accident.

Thinking about move to Germany,  dual nationality, Brit German.

Not much German language yet, but will learn and I can get an instant voice translator...

I'm old but still working,. Art,..tiny income but I like my work.

Ideally, I love those quaint allotment shanty homes, built during the war, outside Berlin..I'm dreaming of a really small place, nothing deluxe at all, on the edge of a city.. Dusseldorf sounds wonderful, not far from my family's village. All gone now.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ensnaturae said:

What is bad about them, please? If you don't mind me interrupting..

I'm just beginning to think of a move to Germany, Essen or Dusseldorf region maybe, have no idea at all about ways to find cheap accommodation... I like small and basic...cat permitted...

 

Plattenbau are basically slabs of cheap looking concrete stacked on top of one another. You'll only find them in the east and ex-eastern Bloc countries. The walls are thin and the ceilings are low.

 

There's an article on wikipedia about them I'm sure.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, arsenal21 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plattenbau

 

Here's the article. It seems I was mistaken and there are also Plattenbaus in former West Germany.

 

I must say that the terms East and West Germany are no longer relevant. Some Germans look down on other Germans who speak different dialects, not only from the East. I hear it all the time.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

 

I must say that the terms East and West Germany are no longer relevant. Some Germans look down on other Germans who speak different dialects, not only from the East. I hear it all the time.

 

Disagree. There are cultural differences that may or may not be due to DDR/GDR.

 

Like the 'Rabenmutter' phenomenon is a western German thing, but it might be due to the different role of women innCatholic as opposed to Protestant states.

 

If you read James Hawes' "The Shortest History of Germany" he makes a compelling case that Germany east of the Elbe is quite different to west of the Elbe, and has been for hundreds of years.

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, arsenal21 said:

If you read James Hawes' "The Shortest History of Germany" he makes a compelling case that Germany east of the Elbe is quite different to west of the Elbe, and has been for hundreds of years.

 

Yes, and you will find similar comparisons in other countries like the U.S. with east of the Mississippi and west of the Mississippi. Nothing unusual.

 

Rabenmutter is an outdated term that is still used by the, shall we say, less intelligent people. Just like the N word in the U.S.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

 

Yes, and you will find similar comparisons in other countries like the U.S. with east of the Mississippi and west of the Mississippi. Nothing unusual.

 

Rabenmutter is an outdated term that is still used by the, shall we say, less intelligent people. Just like the N word in the U.S.

 

I'm not sure of your point. Look at a map of afd votes in Germany or tennis courts in Germany. There are differences between east and west.

 

If there is a map of Plattenbaus in Germany it would presumably have higher density in the east.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, arsenal21 said:

 

Disagree. There are cultural differences that may or may not be due to DDR/GDR.

 

 

There is also the question of self identity. I have many colleagues from the former DDR who consider themselves to be East German.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

No point really. There are slums everywhere even in Munich.

 

2 hours ago, arsenal21 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plattenbau

 

Here's the article. It seems I was mistaken and there are also Plattenbaus in former West Germany.

Very interesting thank you Arsenal 21 and Fraufruit...I understand how apartments made of concrete slabs, very cheaply, could be ugly and poor quality, but I rather like the photo of the updated, renovated Plattenbaus, such basic materials and shapes must ideal for this kind of renovation. 

Wundtstraße_Dresden_92076530.jpg

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched  a programme the other day- renovation of the Plattenbau blocks. Very modern, lovely with good quality materials. Not for the low price renters!! This was in Leipzig, and other plans to modernise in other cities. Sounds like they may be like condo buildings.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Is that a photo of the one you are considering? 

?...oh no! I haven't got so close to taking action yet..it was to cheer myself up if all there will be on offer, when I come..will be cheap concrete slab .ugly.. buildings..

   But I'm not so much concerned with *chic*, on my own behalf.  

So far...I think it may be unlikely that Germany has anything like the vast collection of cheap-places-to-buy or rent, that are still not too hard to find in France. That's where I am now.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ensnaturae said:
15 minutes ago, Ensnaturae said:

?...oh no! I haven't got so close to taking action yet..it was to cheer myself up if all there will be on offer, when I come..will be cheap concrete slab .ugly.. buildings..

   But I'm not so much concerned with *chic*, on my own behalf.  

So far...I think it may be unlikely that Germany has anything like the vast collection of cheap-places-to-buy or rent, that are still not too hard to find in France. That's where I am now.

 

?...oh no! I haven't got so close to taking action yet..it was to cheer myself up if all there will be on offer, when I come..will be cheap concrete slab .ugly.. buildings..

   But I'm not so much concerned with *chic*, on my own behalf.  

So far...I think it may be unlikely that Germany has anything like the vast collection of cheap-places-to-buy or rent, that are still not too hard to find in France. That's where I am now.

 

 

The big cities in the former East are probably comparable with western prices but if you look at smaller towns and villages away from the cities there are much lower prices for renting and buying.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now