Finding an apartment in Leipzig

145 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, kenny1948 said:

Thank you, I have read that page.  It was the listings themselves that I was concerned about as they do not mention pets at all.

Yes, because they have a fundamental attitude to the subject and this applies to all flats. 

28 minutes ago, kenny1948 said:

Am I presuming correctly theat LWB is the public housing authority?

No, sorry (and frankly, I have no idea how you came up with that? Nothing on their website indicates that). LWB is just some commercial company that manages flats and gets paid for it. 

2 minutes ago, john g. said:

Pflege is compulsory nursing care and would be included in the price you quoted,

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Yes, because they have a fundamental attitude to the subject and this applies to all flats. 

No, sorry (and frankly, I have no idea how you came up with that? Nothing on their website indicates that). LWB is just some commercial company that manages flats and gets paid for it. 

It was on the Local that I had seen it mentioned as a public authority.

11 minutes ago, kenny1948 said:

It was on the Local that I had seen it mentioned as a public authority.

Which unfortunately says something about the quality of the Local again ... edit: NOT!

Anyway, this is a company, which has no relation to municipal or state authorities.

edit: I need to correct myself:  The LWB is actually the municipal real estate company of the city of Leipzig and the LWB property management is a subsidiary. However, the LWB-Hausverwaltung not only manages municipal housing, but also private and institutional housing as a service.

10 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

This is where I got that impression so once again, I apologize for being stupid.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leipziger_Wohnungs-_und_Baugesellschaft

3 minutes ago, kenny1948 said:

This is where I got that impression so once again, I apologize for being stupid.

Actually it's me who was stupid, see my edit. :) 

14 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Actually it's me who was stupid, see my edit. :) 

Thanks! :rolleyes:

I think this is the first TT thread I've read where anyone claimed to be stupid, themselves, let alone a two-fer

stop it!  :)

Anything involving the Local brings out the best/most honest in us, lisa!!!:lol: Catharsis guaranteed!!!

53 minutes ago, kenny1948 said:

I have wanted to move to Germany since 1987 when I spent the summer there. 

very similar to my experience and motivation for moving over.

I did a summer exchange in high school and felt more at home here than anywhere I'd been.  At 40-ish I visited Berlin and felt the exact same way:  deep in my heart I just didn't want to leave.  Not being a teen anymore, I started seriously thinking about making a move but this took some time to really gel, before I developed a plan, somewhat through trial and error.  I did have the "advantage" of coming over as a worker bee, but having to find a job from afar, gather all the info and file proper paperwork, figure out what to do with my house and stuff, get my cats ready for travel - suffice it to say it was no small feat.  It's a lot to work out and there was no point where I finally felt a high level of confidence that it would work.  There's a lot of uncertainty no matter how you cut it, and provided you're careful (which you seem to be) at a certain point all you can do is make the leap.

In the end I finally made it, and even with some challenges (there can be many) I have no regrets. Please drop this notion that your questions are "stupid".  Your situation is rather unique - only one other similar case from what I've seen in several years on these boards - so I think it's somewhat to be expected that many people (especially insurance carriers and beamters) might not quite know what to do with you, whence the default response is usually "go away please".  I am rather shocked at how completely wrong the responses you received were, but having had some baffling issues with the ABH and my krankenkasse that should have been clear cut but weren't, I can totally believe this has been an uphill battle for you.

So I gotta say:  I was a bit surprised to see you return with your latest news, and I was, and continue to be, really cheered by your tenacity.  I'm rooting for you.

Don't stop now!!! :) 

4 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

very similar to my experience and motivation for moving over.

I did a summer exchange in high school and felt more at home here than anywhere I'd been.  At 40-ish I visited Berlin and felt the exact same way:  deep in my heart I just didn't want to leave.  Not being a teen anymore, I started seriously thinking about making a move but this took some time to really gel, before I developed a plan, somewhat through trial and error.  I did have the "advantage" of coming over as a worker bee, but having to find a job from afar, gather all the info and file proper paperwork, figure out what to do with my house and stuff, get my cats ready for travel - suffice it to say it was no small feat.  It's a lot to work out. 

In the end I finally made it, and even with some challenges (there can be many) I have no regrets. Please drop this notion that your questions are "stupid".  Your situation is rather unique - only one other similar case from what I've seen in several years on these boards - so I think it's somewhat to be expected that many people (especially insurance carriers and beamters) might not quite know what to do with you, whence the default response is usually "go away please".  I am rather shocked at how completely wrong the responses you received were, but having had some baffling issues with the ABH and my krankenkasse that should have been clear cut but weren't, I can totally believe this has been an uphill battle for you.

So I gotta say:  I was a bit surprised to see you return with your latest news, and I was, and continue to be, really cheered by your tenacity.  I'm rooting for you.

Don't stop now!!! :) 

Thanks so much!  You don't know how good it makes me feel to have positive support.  If you followed my thread, you might know I have been trying to accomplish this for a very long time.  Yes it is a difficult thing to do.  Especially when you have personal obligations, as well as financial ones.  Right now this is a big decision for me.  I am paying a mortgage on a house, have a pet, and live i a fairly isolated area.  A move will take a lot of effort on my part, but it's been there in the back of my head all this time.  The response about the insurance, brought it to a head.

Kenny - It takes a lot of perseverance to make such a big move later. My husband, a former German citizen, and I have been working on this for the past 8 months. There is much to keep track of and one has to be prepared for a bumpy ride. We have finally received word that my husband will be granted a residency permit. He’s heading to Konstanz next week to search for an apartment. There were times also where we received incorrect information because there are many unique factors in our case too. Good luck to you in continuing to work on this exciting project!

On 1/2/2019, 12:52:23, kenny1948 said:

I did not like Crottendorf!

I

My mistake.  I meant Connewitz.

Hello Kenny,

Still not here?  I've been here since 2010 so by now I am pretty much settled in for life.  As I mentioned in my 2017 post to you, I am 3 years younger and came here when I was 59 with my German wife because after 17 years in the US she wanted to move back.  Unfortunately, after my last post to you, she had a bad stroke at 48 years old and is in a wheelchair so I'll be here forever.  I think I misunderstood with my last post about your insurance questions.  As people have mentioned since, as a German citizen you should be able to get into the public insurance like AOK or Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)  I have TK and I just tried to call them to ask about your situation but they only answer general questions on the weekend and I will call them back next week.  With your social security and savings, keep in mind that the cost of medical insurance is based on you total income regardless of whether you bring that money to Germany.  So all of your social security income, other pensions, bank account interest, etc (but not money you take out of your US savings account) has to be listed and your insurance cost will be about 19% of that.  At least that's how it works with me - I just got done updating my info with TK for 2019.  I pay about 230 € per month and I only have pensions.

If you have other questions, PM me or email me at garyh911@gmail.com.  Don't wait until it's too late to do what you want to do.  I also came here the first time in the 1980's with my father to visit relatives and knew I would want to live here someday.

By the way, I live in Meissen, a small city near Dresden.  I'm in Dresden all of the time, day and night, and never had a problem in 8 years.  Every week is the Pegida demonstration but the Antifa far-left causes more problems in Dresden and especially Leipzig.  Neustadt is the worst part of the city here but I've even been there at night.  Having lived in NYC, I can say this is better!  Other cities around here like Görlitz, Pirna, Freital are nice too and cheaper for rents.  In Meissen I pay 550 € (about $632.00 )warm rent which includes everything except electric and TV/phone/computer for a very nice 2 bedroom flat.

If you are ever back here, contact me and I can spend some time showing you around Dresden, Meissen and some of the other cities.

On 2/2/2019, 6:47:42, garyh911 said:

If you are ever back here, contact me and I can spend some time showing you around Dresden, Meissen and some of the other cities.

Let me start by saying, Thank you Gary for your message.  I did not see it until today when I decided to ask some more questions here on Toytown.  I am not one to use Social Media, except when I need something.  Sorry!

Well, I am finally here.  Having arrived on the 20th of March, with my dog Buddy in tow.  I was worried he would not survive being in the cargo hold of an airplane, but he did well.  He also has now traveled by Train and by Tram!

So far I have managed to register.  To get my Medical Insurance Card, and pay my TV License.  Have had some problems with my DKB Bank account, but hopefully it is now fixed.  I have difficulty with the Tan2go App.  At my age, texting on a phone just isn't all that easy.  I hit the wrong keys all the time.  So I managed to mess up my password!  They just finally sent me a new registration form on Saturday.  I hope I don't mess this one up!

So far I am loving Leipzig!  Managing to walk every day, even with a bad knee.  Yesterday went to the Flea Market at the Alt Messe, and managed to not buy everything in sight.  Was well worth the trip.  Then took my Buddy for a walk in the Forested Area where I am currently staying in Connewitz.  My impression of Connewitz has changed slightly.  I still think Bornaischestr.  looks like a war zone.  But I have no fear, walking around.  Especially where I am staying.  I like the fact that there is a Green Area so close, to walk my dog Buddy.

Now i come back to questions!  First one is, how do you find a doctor?  I am insured with BKK, my Insurance Card came in the mail on Friday.  I have no idea how to use it!  Can I see any doctor, or do I have to go through them to find a Doctor, like I had to do back in the States?

Second question is.  Does anyone have any experience dealing with Wogetra?  I have applied for two apartments I was interested in.  One with a private owner, who I am waiting on to make a decision.  The other was with a company called Wogetra.  I know nothing about them, other than they manage a lot of Plattenbau.  The apartment I looked at is on Strasse des 18 Oktober.  It is a sixteen storey Plattenbau.  The apartment seems nice, was recently renovated.  Has a fantastic view of the Russian Church, and the Volkerschlachtdenkmal.   They are ready to draw up a lease.  I would like to know if they are a reliable company or not.  If any of you have dealt with these people, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks to all of you, who have made my move finally happen!

Kenny

1554383350737684.jpg

wooohooo!

thanks for the update

for the doctor sitch, you can (generally) make an appointment with any kind of doctor now - they did away with the referral requirement a few years ago.  They need to accept Krankenkasse patients (some only accept privately insured patients but I guess you'd run into that less in Leipzig than in Munich?  not sure), but you can verify that before you make an appointment.  I imagine your kasse has a doctor search on their website, or you can use jameda.de or similar.

It's still good to get in with a Hausarzt, once you get settled.  But you don't *have* to have one, a la the US HMO model where your primary care doc is your first point of contact for all health issues.

eta: to "use" the card, you just need to present it when checking in at the doctor's office.  That's a must as far as I know. I've heard stories of people forgetting their card and getting treated anyway but on the one occasion I couldn't find my card, the receptionist told me it was a no-go

oh hey, please join a local mieterverein.  Or at least look into it.  Ideally they can have a look at a new contract (preferably before you sign it) and point out any problems or concerns.

note I'm not sure how that works in practice - in munich you usually have to sign on the spot or lose the place.

then going forward if/when you have a problem or concern with your apartment you can go to them for profi assistance

Kenny- welcome- a long journey for you!

Lisa is spot on- join a Mieterverein. Small annual fee and great support for any rental issues. They can check your contract before you sign it. They checked ours and warned us of  a couple of points . 

Insurances needed- do contact one of the experts who advertise on TT ( Johng, Starshollow)-

Rechtschutz, Halfpflict, etc. Doggie insurance as well. Not sure  of licensing laws in Leipzig.

Re Doctor - as Lisa says.

I presume you have done your Abmeldung, and hope the bank account issues  resolve!

Good luck in your new life!