Finding an apartment in Leipzig

145 posts in this topic

Just now, PandaMunich said:

As I already told, you qualify for German public health insurance since you have German citizenship.

Your contribution will be around 185€ a month.

Once again you are faster than me!  What I need to do is find an agent or that lawyer fellow.

2 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

As I already told, you qualify for German public health insurance since you have German citizenship.

Your contribution will be around 185€ a month.

Once again you are faster than me!  What I need to do is find an agent or that lawyer fellow.  Also somewhere here on the forum, I saw a woman mentioned who was an agent in Leipzig.  Of course now, I can't find where I saw her listed.

11 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:
6 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Once again you are faster than me!  What I need to do is find an agent or that lawyer fellow.  Also somewhere here on the forum, I saw a woman mentioned who was an agent in Leipzig.  Of course now, I can't find where I saw her listed.  I am not sure if I am replying to the newest post or an older one.  Sorry, my computer is not Kenny friendly!  These messages show up, after I have already posted.  Thanks for the quick replies ( that I can't keep up with ).  I will check Starshollow's profile.

Ok the lady who had been suggested,on another thread.  Is Ruth Rheinhardt in Leipzig.  I contacted her, and today she got back to me.  This was her reply: 

"I would like to give you the following information.

You know Germany is well organized (J, it means there are laws, rules, there requirements….

This means for health scheme: there is stated what persons ( employed or self-employed) under which condition ( income, age, marital status) can obtain health cover in the state health or in the private health scheme.

To put it in a nutshell:  as far as you don’t fulfill any of requirements you can’t obtain any health cover in the state health nor in the private health scheme.

The only option you can get is travel health for a temporary stay of  max. 5 years. Monthly premium – ca. 370 € per month.

This is a coverage for emergency situations! ( not for saying “Hello” to the doctor!)

This coverage is not recommended for people with a permanent residence in Germany! No coverage for long term care!

Another option is to stay here without any health insurance and pay for medical treatments directly. "

Needless to say, this is not what I had hoped to hear.  I am hoping somehow that she is wrong. 

Kenny

She's wrong.

Either contact AOK Plus yourself, citing §5 Absatz Nr. 13 Buchstabe b SGB V as the reason why they have to accept you as a member: 

or contact Starshollow and pay his lawyer colleague the ca. 300€ he charges to contact AOK Plus for you.

I would first try contacting AOK Plus on my own if I were you, just click on the green link "Kontaktformular", fill in the form explaining your situation and mention §5 Absatz Nr. 13 Buchstabe b SGB V:

https://www.aokplus-online.de/mehr/kontakt/kontaktmoeglichkeiten.html#c10641

On 2/10/2017, 1:56:08, Smaug said:

Maybe the lady in Leipzing misunderstood and is not aware that you are a German citizen?

Sorry I have had house problems this past month, and been preoccupied with personal stuff.

She asked for all of my information.  I told her I was a German Citizen, but have never lived or worked in Germany.  That was her reply to me giving her all the information including what I make per month plus that I own my own home, and have savings.  I tried contacting Starshollow, but he never got back to me.

8 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

@Starshollow

@kenny1948 needs the contact details of your Versicherungsberater friend to help him get into public health insurance under §5 Absatz Nr. 13 Buchstabe b SGB V as a German citizen who was an employee in the US and who has never before lived in Germany.

Kenny, you posted at around 2am and 3am local German time. We do have to sleep, you know ;)

Panda, I do realize the time difference ;)  When I asked if anyone was still listening, I mean't because I had not been here for almost a month.

Ok today I got my reply from AOK, it was the same as what Ruth Rinehardt told me.

"You definitely do NOT qualify for statuatory health insurance with AOK as you have never worked in Germany and also have never been insured within statuatory health insurance neither in Germany nor in another European country.

Your only option would be a private health insurance. Please understand that AOK does not make any recommendations in this regard, you need to look for a PRIVATE health insurance yourself.

P.S. The fact that you also hold German citizenship does also not make you eligible for statuatory health care because, as explained above you do not fulfill the basic requirement of having been insured with a statuatory insurance in Germany/Europe."

I need to hear from Starshollow ( I have tried contacting him several times ), if there is any possibility.  I am going to Leipzig in May.  It would be nice to have this ironed out before then.

Hi there...nowadays I usually switch off the smartphone during the weekend in order to focus more on the family. Hence some delays may occur over the weekends  (clients always have a direct line for emergencies, of course).

I would imagine still that @kenny1948 has a decent chance under the "No. 13" clause as "nachrangig pflichtversichert". Now that there is a real "Bescheid" from the AOK, it is possible to undertake legal steps to this regards and move forward.

Kenny: please contact the following person (as may anyone else in similar situations):

Thorulf Müller, aka "Der KV-Profi!"

http://www.der-versicherungsberater.com/

Contact details:

VersSulting UG (haftungsbeschränkt)

Wilhelmsstr. 27
34117 Kassel

Geschäftsführer Thorulf Müller

th.mueller@derkvprofi.de 

Thorulf can communicate well enough in English, too. Give him my best. AFAIK, the initial fee is around 300 EUR or so... which covers checking all your documents (from AOK and others), assessing your legal situation and communication on your behalf with public health insurances.

Cheerio

On 3/20/2017, 4:08:08, Starshollow said:

Hi there...nowadays I usually switch off the smartphone during the weekend in order to focus more on the family. Hence some delays may occur over the weekends  (clients always have a direct line for emergencies, of course).

I would imagine still that @kenny1948 has a decent chance under the "No. 13" clause as "nachrangig pflichtversichert". Now that there is a real "Bescheid" from the AOK, it is possible to undertake legal steps to this regards and move forward.

Kenny: please contact the following person (as may anyone else in similar situations):

Thorulf Müller, aka "Der KV-Profi!"

http://www.der-versicherungsberater.com/

Contact details:

VersSulting UG (haftungsbeschränkt)

Wilhelmsstr. 27
34117 Kassel

Geschäftsführer Thorulf Müller

th.mueller@derkvprofi.de 

Thorulf can communicate well enough in English, too. Give him my best. AFAIK, the initial fee is around 300 EUR or so... which covers checking all your documents (from AOK and others), assessing your legal situation and communication on your behalf with public health insurances.

Cheerio

Thanks for the input, just saw this.   Will check into it.

Ken

Just an update here.  I spent two weeks, divided between Dresden and Leipzig.  In Leipzig I had a short term rental.  So I bought groceries, and cooked my own meals. I have come to love REWE!  I was surprised at the lower cost for food.  I managed on a little over 33 euros for the whole week!  That did not include my trips to the backerie, and the drinks at bars.  I discovered very quickly, a fondness for my daily trips for cake. :rolleyes:

I did have difficulty in the language department.  People would talk to me, and I could not understand a word they said.  However I did manage with what little German I do speak.  I did not find anyone to be, stand offish.  Everyone I met was very friendly, and in the shops they helped me as best they could.

I checked out neighborhoods, including Grunau where I spent an afternoon totally lost!  Leaving the Spinnerei, I had taken a wrong turn, walking for what seemed miles. The nice lady in a tobacco shop, gave me directions ( all in German ) and I found my way back to my apartment.  Although, the area was not very attractive, I didn't find it awful.  There was a nice shopping area as well.  I will say that, I like the areas around Klara Park, and the Zoo.  I am assuming they are both out of my range.  However I did see a lot of for rent signs.   Since I was not ready to move, I didn't bother to check into any.  I would have been wasting peoples time, and I'm sure they would not have appreciated it.

I loved all there was to see and do in Dresden, but honestly I liked Leipzig better!  One thing I had planned was a climb to the top of the Frauenkirche, as well as a concert I had a ticket for there, on Sunday.   Honestly the Frauenkirche was my greatest disappointment!  Although it was very impressive, and I love the sound of the bells.  The inside simply looked too new!  It had no feeling of history to it.  I walked my feet off, quite literally, in both places.  Thank God, my apartment had a nice deep bathtub!  I discovered I'm not up to the kind of walking and climbing I did in younger days.  My biggest problem was that I felt very alone, without my dog.

The thing I enjoyed the most, of the entire trip was my hike up to the Bastei, outside of Dresden.  That proved to be the most enjoyable experience, as well as the most exhausting!  I hadn't seen hills or mountains in years.  Something I really miss, living in flat as a pancake Florida.  Leipzig as well, is flat.  The one negative I felt about it.  I found the Klara Park, and the Nonne to make up for that, though.  There were plenty of beautiful green spaces.

If I were to decide to move at this late stage.  I have much to consider.  My feet and knees really suffered.  I think I would have problems with a four floor walkup.  Luckily my apartment in Leipzig had a lift.  It was not far from the Banhof, on Berlinerstrasse, and not  the greatest neighborhood, but it was very pleasant.  I would have preferred an altbau though.  This was a newer apartment building from the early 90's.  My room in Dresden was in an altbau, right across from a very nice little park.  I enjoyed the three block walk to the haltestelle, and loved the neighborhood.  I believe it was Lobtau, the tram stop was Tharandterstrasse.  It was the cobblestones everywhere, that really did me in.  I have one bad ankle, and it took a beating.  So when it comes to moving, I'm a bit reticent at this time.  I turned 69 yesterday, and honestly I think I may be too old, to try and start all over.  I also wonder about getting out and about, in winter.  Spring was absolutely, beautiful!  I do intend to find out about health insurance though, that would affect any final decision. 

I want to thank all of you for your advice and comments.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. I love both Leipzig and Dresden.

Good that you have been doing much research into a possible move. 

Yes, your health insurance will be costly, but both Starshollow and john g are great  resources.

The language is a must- if you want to feel part of life then you do need to learn German. As you are retired, and not working, you will need to find other  social groups and  friends. At 69 ( Beste Gruesse!), making friends is not easy.

So,  lots to reflect on . Instead of  complete move, maybe  make regular trips  over! Always holiday rentals to find.

After Florida, winters here can be very cold and depressing!   But, as long as clothing is warm- can be very bracing.

2 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

@RedMidge

@kenny1948 has a legal right to German public health insurance, so it will not be costly, for details please read the previous posts in this thread.

I, yes, I did read threads, so saw he was entitled to German public health coverage.   It seems he was being told otherwise by AOK!

I meant that this was one of the costs he would be facing, amongst others. ( Yes, realise his would not be too much, but his other posts did indicate he was on fixed pension).

Thanks again to Panda, and also RedMidge for your feedback.  I found an old thread on German Health Insurance, and found a link to John G.  I just sent off an e'mail. 

Red, I know what you mean about finding new friends at my age.  I do worry a lot about that.  I also worry about the winters, as I am not getting any younger.  I did have some difficulty with all the walking I did.  I was putting in at least five to eight miles a day, if not more.  I was trying to see as much as I could.  I think I over did it.  I have a bad ankle, and also with all the stair climbing I did, my knees did not cooperate.  I worry that a few years down the line, these could cause me problems.  Especially if I did not live in an Erdgeschoss or a building with a lift.  I also worry about my savings eventually running out.  It sure would be easier if one could rent an apartment long distance.  I have wondered if there were any Maklers who could do that.  I saw a number of offices, as I walked about, but didn't bother to enquire.  I was frustrated at my inability to speak to people in German.  It's like it all flew out the window!  I could only mumble unintelligibly.  Nobody understood a word I said.  I think it was in part due to my own shyness, with strangers.  I have no problem expressing myself in written form, but face to face, I freeze up.  That would also be a big issue trying to find a place to live, and get set up.  I cannot afford to make visits, on a regular basis. 

Anyway, I have a of thinking to do.  I really am not happy where I live.  At least in Leipzig I found places to go, and keep myself busy.  Here I have nothing, and being both Gay and a Liberal.  Rural Florida is the wrong place to be.

Thanks for everyones input!  I would so much like to be able to truly call myself an expat!