Wanting to build a "Tiny House"

77 posts in this topic

I wonder if there has been any real-life development of this issue, I would love to know if there is a tiny house collective in Berlin, and have my own tiny house too 

OP here. Not that I know of. My husband and I have mostly stopped looking. We found a two-story, 1 bedroom Remise for rent inside Berlin that is essentially a stand-alone house with a garden (i.e. the Hinterhof). We don't own it and never will, of course, so our rent money is still disappearing into a black hole every month, but with a baby on the way, dreams of home-ownership are on ice. The only tiny home architecture projects I've found in the city were basically frivolous "experiments" by student types that were either unlivable or illegal to actually reside in or both. No one seems to have found practical solutions that actually make this a possibility for normal people to live in long-term, let alone raise a family in, i.e. legal, permanent and affordable. For us, we think we can make this place work for 2 or 3 kids, at least while they're small, but eventually we'll be back looking for other options and more long-term security. If someone hears of any new developments, I'd love to hear about it but for the moment, I've got nothing.

clarseach83 - thank you for the windowfarm link. I've been following that for years but wonder if Tetrapaks might be a container solution? 

I grow my own food every year here in Oberbayern, have apples juiced, ferment grapes for wine and give my hops away for beer in autumn. I also recycle waste food a load.

We were just watching a British TV show about tiny houses this week and my husband would love one; so your post caught my eye. We stayed in a tiny house (a vacation chalet in a park) and realized a small house could have everything and be so comfortable but it was not legal to live there permanently. What if you can get a big house with a garden for the price of a tiny house? There are many depressed towns in Germany that want more residents and house prices are affordable but it all depends on your job. People who can work from anywhere, internet businesses, self-employed etc. can find affordable houses to buy.

The job part is the real rub. I do work in semi-rural Brandenburg and I looked for quite a while in villages in that area within a couple of regional train stops outside of the S-bahn net but the prices didn't actually go down at all, neither to buy nor to rent. In fact, there were massive housing shortages such that even locals couldn't find flats and the land was extremely expensive to buy and was mostly part of development projects where you were stuck with one builder. You have to get really far out into areas that are undesirable for good reason for things to get any cheaper. My husband is self-employed but his work is related to tourism and reliant on access to the city, so being that far away is not an option. I agree that if you could make the transition to some sort of self-sufficiency, a distant village might be a way to go but no longer needing a job is a huge financial leap and that's where we come up short. Those places are abandoned because there's little or no work, or only specific kinds of work. If you were internet-based, sure, provided your tiny little town had a decent internet connection or you were willing and able to pay for enough mobile bandwidth to work online. Out that far, though, you also start sacrificing things like access to doctors or other services that are fewer and further between, not to mention educational opportunities for your kids. That's another big reason why little villages are dying. The young people leave for training or studies and never come back. Finally, I guess you also just have to be the small town type. My husband grew up in rural mid-western America but I'm a city girl and giving up the diversity and opportunities of a city for a larger box to live in just doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade to me personally.

I have a friend who's building a container home somewhere in Brandenburg, but I'm not sure about the details.  She and her husband are both Russian immigrants who don't have much money and there doesn't seem to be much red tape.  She told me it's an idea they got from the US.  Perhaps you could Google "container homes".  

That's really interesting! I had read that the chances of getting a container home approved were almost nil. Do you know what part of Brandenburg?

this might be what you are looking for

https://www.madihome.com/

M.A.DI. buildings do not consume soil, as they do not need any foundations when temporarily placed on a level ground. If necessary, the anchoring is ensured by a new innovative system with a screw pile foundations. This new anchoring system have no impacts on soil and it is recoverable at 100%. When the building eventually ceased to be used, you can fold it and move it to another place, or store it in a warehouse ready for the next use. In terms of energy consumption, the buildings (in their standard version) are energy class B but, upon request, they can easily become a class A and A++. The addition of solar panels can make M.A.DI. structures energetically independent. These are the only construction removable, recoverable and reusable that make a respectful connection with the environment without abuse of it.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

Did anyone have any success with this? I want to buy either a small house that needs gutting or get some containers or whatever and build my own house. I'm looking at tiny house for the storage and layout ideas but don't want a house on wheels or to be quite so small, nor do i want to go 'offgrid'. I've seen some luxury ones in Canada online and they look great. I want to make a small house into a big tiny home using the mezzanine level, storage in the stairs, etc. Some stuff I could do myself like painting and decorating basic woodwork, but i would need some work doing like the structure and heating, plumbing etc. Where can I find out about costs? Nothing I've seen about tiny homes gives any idea of cost.

13 minutes ago, ferret_buzz said:

Did anyone have any success with this? I want to buy either a small house that needs gutting or get some containers or whatever and build my own house. I'm looking at tiny house for the storage and layout ideas but don't want a house on wheels or to be quite so small, nor do i want to go 'offgrid'. I've seen some luxury ones in Canada online and they look great. I want to make a small house into a big tiny home using the mezzanine level, storage in the stairs, etc. Some stuff I could do myself like painting and decorating basic woodwork, but i would need some work doing like the structure and heating, plumbing etc. Where can I find out about costs? Nothing I've seen about tiny homes gives any idea of cost.

make sure you'll gather also information what the local building laws say about this... might not be so easy, this is Germany after all! :-)

Cheerio

Just now, ferret_buzz said:

On 28.2.2018, 16:50:51, scoobykids said:

this might be what you are looking for

https://www.madihome.com/

M.A.DI. buildings do not consume soil, as they do not need any foundations when temporarily placed on a level ground. If necessary, the anchoring is ensured by a new innovative system with a screw pile foundations. This new anchoring system have no impacts on soil and it is recoverable at 100%. When the building eventually ceased to be used, you can fold it and move it to another place, or store it in a warehouse ready for the next use. In terms of energy consumption, the buildings (in their standard version) are energy class B but, upon request, they can easily become a class A and A++. The addition of solar panels can make M.A.DI. structures energetically independent. These are the only construction removable, recoverable and reusable that make a respectful connection with the environment without abuse of it.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

this is perfect!

Hey bit late to the party but just wanted to add in here that I feel your pain and I hope you keep pursuing you dreams! My fiance and I are planning a similar thing with similar goals, we live in Hamburg though. We are planning a Tiny house on wheels for similar reasons, we want something to build ourselves, to lessen our footprint on the earth and be as self sufficient and self sustainable as possible and being an international couple the Tiny Houses on wheels appeal to us as we don't want to spend our entire lives paying off a mortgage on a home that's anchored somewhere, we want to put that money towards something we can do ourselves and take with us if we decide to move. The whole movement fits us perfectly and is what we want for our lives but our trouble seems to be getting around or keeping within rules and regulations and finding like minded people, like you we are both professionals, have a child together and just want to live more within our means and more simply.
So if there is anyone out there with similar goals in the Hamburg area feel free to get in touch! Where there is a will there's a way and lets make it happen! :)

3 minutes ago, Alex.mack said:

Hey bit late to the party but just wanted to add in here that I feel your pain and I hope you keep pursuing you dreams! My fiance and I are planning a similar thing with similar goals, we live in Hamburg though. We are planning a Tiny house on wheels for similar reasons, we want something to build ourselves, to lessen our footprint on the earth and be as self sufficient and self sustainable as possible and being an international couple the Tiny Houses on wheels appeal to us as we don't want to spend our entire lives paying off a mortgage on a home that's anchored somewhere, we want to put that money towards something we can do ourselves and take with us if we decide to move. The whole movement fits us perfectly and is what we want for our lives but our trouble seems to be getting around or keeping within rules and regulations and finding like minded people, like you we are both professionals, have a child together and just want to live more within our means and more simply.
So if there is anyone out there with similar goals in the Hamburg area feel free to get in touch! Where there is a will there's a way and lets make it happen! :)

you sound further along than me, i'm looking much further into the future. If you have success i'd love to hear about the process and difficulties. I've seen plenty of finished results or TV experiments with the help of a production team, but no 'normal' working example, especially from start to finish. For whoever can make a go of this in Germany, there's the chance of a monetised blog for sure.

On 9/28/2018, 2:49:00, ferret_buzz said:

this is perfect!

excellent location with quick access to major roadways ;)

17 minutes ago, ferret_buzz said:

I've seen plenty of finished results or TV experiments with the help of a production team, but no 'normal' working example, especially from start to finish.

Nessa Elessar has a series of videos of her tiny house adventure on youtube.