English-speaking jobs In the Nuremberg area

26 posts in this topic

Am not too convinced that everyone coming to Nuremberg should try Adidas.

There are other good companies in the area who only require English.

I am just trying to give advice.

I never thought I would be interrogated about it or given the third degree.

Sorry, I might have misunderstood your previous post. I took it to mean that you know of companies in the area where foreigners could find jobs without speaking German.
I asked because I am interested in all aspects of the German labour market (labour market policy, economics, etc.) and there is only so much you can learn from reports and statistics; it is always useful to hear first hand experience to put the statistics in context.

BAs have not really caught on in Germany and many German employers consider a BA only equivalent to the German Vordiplom. Furthermore, German HR Departments tend to be very narrow minded and expect workers to have an educational background that fits exactly to the profile requirements for a position; the concept of Quereinsteigen is still not widely accepted in many HR departments.

Tourism jobs in Germany will generally require knowledge of German, English, and at least another foreign language (possible exception really short tours around the city, where it is unlikely to run into problems with the locals that will require knowledge of German).

DACH sales positions generally require C2 German and familiarity with the culture, whereas some sales positions for other markets might only require English. The previous poster could try companies targeting the markets where his mother tongue is spoken, however, it might take some time until he can find such positions. Therefore, I don't see many opportunities for skilled positions in the near future for the OP.

Thanks for the information and for letting me know that I'm well educated bit still not able to get a job makes me feel better.  

If a job says German and English just apply.

By the way you need to have your CV in the German format for anyone to take you serious.  

engelchen: "Why are you scaring him, calling his degree effectively useless?"

On 3 February 2014 at 6:50:58 PM, Gissj said:

Hi engelchen, I haven't had any formal lessons in German..I have picked up a little bit of vocab over the past year as I have been visiting Nuremberg a lot, but my language skills are still very poor.

My formal qualifications are my degree in International Relations and TEFL. I'm pretty sure my degree is going to be of no help to me finding work in Nuremberg. I have applied to a few Language schools however I have currently have not heard anything back. I am really at a loss of what to do next..

On 3 February 2014 at 6:50:58 PM, Gissj said:

Hi engelchen, I haven't had any formal lessons in German..I have picked up a little bit of vocab over the past year as I have been visiting Nuremberg a lot, but my language skills are still very poor.

My formal qualifications are my degree in International Relations and TEFL. I'm pretty sure my degree is going to be of no help to me finding work in Nuremberg. I have applied to a few Language schools however I have currently have not heard anything back. I am really at a loss of what to do next..