English-speaking jobs In the Nuremberg area

26 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am a native speaker from the UK and I am currently trying to find part time employment in the Nuremberg area. Unfortunately my German skills are not great and this is why I am moving over - to undertake an integration course.

I want to move over to be with my partner who lives in Fuerth.

I have a degree in International Relations, and have no experience working with Children which I fear will really affect my chances of employment in a bilingual Kindergarten.

I have just completed a TEFL course to help me find English teaching work.

Any suggestions/ advice would be really appreciated!

How well do you speak German and what formal qualifications do you have? Do you have an EU 27 passport or will you need to apply for a work permit?

Hi engelchen, I haven't had any formal lessons in German..I have picked up a little bit of vocab over the past year as I have been visiting Nuremberg a lot, but my language skills are still very poor.

My formal qualifications are my degree in International Relations and TEFL. I'm pretty sure my degree is going to be of no help to me finding work in Nuremberg. I have applied to a few Language schools however I have currently have not heard anything back. I am really at a loss of what to do next..

My best advice to anyone planning to move here, outside of researching the visa requirements for your individual situation, is....LEARN THE LANGUAGE! And learn as much as you can before you come here. I'm not meaning this in a rude way at all. It is the absolute BEST way to open as many doors for you as possible, and will also help you feel more integrated and settled.

When you get here, if you have a full time job it's really, really tough to also squeeze in language classes. Your head is also overflowing with all the other things that you need to handle as well while learning to live in a foreign country. If I could go back in time to before I moved here, I would have taken some starter language classes ahead of time, and not listened to the HR person's recommendation that it would be easier to learn once I was living here. Especially since I had no prior knowledge of learning a second language, like most Americans. I moved here knowing two words: Bier and Hallo. I was able to survive a few days on that, as I drank a lot of excellent Bier. But then reality kicked in, and I didn't know how to ask for help in a store. So I wandered around looking for half an hour instead.

As someone who has been here 5 years now , and even now have a German partner, I still struggle daily with speaking the language. It's getting better, but frankly I still really suck at it. My understanding is quite good, but I need to be able speak better. Add in a toddler to the mix, and my study time is zilch. I'm learning words I never knew before with my son, who is only 16 months old! Talk about feeling stupid.

When I moved here for an IT project for a very large worldwide company, I was told German wasn't required, and I would just "pick it up along the way". Not everyone learns that way. And tell you what, if you want to change jobs at some point, German probably IS required, at least to a certain level.

@kolive, you will need to have a good level of education, and some specialized skills that are wanted here, to get your visa as a working professional. I came over with an engineering degree and 10 years of engineering and manufacturing experience, something that has some demand. I was also an internal company transfer, which made it even easier.

LEARN THE LANGUAGE! And learn as much as you can before you come here. I'm not meaning this in a rude way at all. It is the absolute BEST way to open as many doors for you as possible, and will also help you feel more integrated and settled.

Absolutely right and agree. Unless you have already found an employment, I feel getting a job in Nuernberg area is going to be very tough. I met an Australian in Plarrer U-Bahn station last Saturday and he was also in a similar situation. He came to Nurnberg directly from Australia in search of a job just that morning. He said he was gonna try and get a job in a Bar or somewhere to start with. I am not sure how easy it is going to be. For starters, he didnt know a word of German. He has no idea of the city plan and he didnt even buy a train ticket and asked me "Where to they sell ticket?". Finally I took him to the ticket dispenser and showed him how the "system" is "automatic" here. He was probably expecting a manual counter which had queues and where he could get tickets. So for anyone who has no idea of the culture, layouts, lifestyle or the general "way of life" in Nurnberg or Germany for that matter, I would strongly recommend learning the language as the first step.

This may not be needed if you have friends where you go and they can guide you through till you get a job. Just dont come on your own and get into financial trouble. But rest assured that Nurnberg is completely safe and you will never get into security trouble :)

My formal qualifications are my degree in International Relations and TEFL. I'm pretty sure my degree is going to be of no help to me finding work in Nuremberg.

Yes, without fluent German your degree is not very useful, however, with C1/C2 German you could try the BAMF. For info on the TEFL market see the thread to which I linked in Post #2 and Becoming an English teacher in Germany.

I have applied to a few Language schools however I have currently have not heard anything back. I am really at a loss of what to do next..

You've already received the obvious answer of starting to seriously learn German before you move (and it is also what I think is the most important).

You might also want to discuss with your fiancé whether he will be willing to support you if you move to Germany for him or whether he would prefer to move to the UK.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi everyone!

I am a 26 years old boy and have a master degree in biomedical engineering. Currently I'm working in Italy since the past 10 months as quality assurance for biomedical sector. I am italian motherlanguage and have a certified C1 English. About my German...tragedy :lol: . I'm learning it here since july 2013. In august I will attend a German course in Erlangen and I hope I will get around an A2.2 level. I understand it's not much, but better than nothing for now. Since my girfriend is doing a PHD in Erlangen, I'm planning to look for a job up there starting from September.

Do you think I can get an english job in my field (quality assurance / regulatory affairs for medical devices)? In the meantime I'll keep improving my German.

Thank you very much in advance!

Hi everyone!

I am a 26 years old boy and have a master degree in biomedical engineering. Currently I'm working in Italy since the past 10 months as quality assurance for biomedical sector. I am italian motherlanguage and have a certified C1 English. About my German...tragedy . I'm learning it here since july 2013. In august I will attend a German course in Erlangen and I hope I will get around an A2.2 level. I understand it's not much, but better than nothing for now. Since my girfriend is doing a PHD in Erlangen, I'm planning to look for a job up there starting from September.

Do you think I can get an english job in my field (quality assurance / regulatory affairs for medical devices)? In the meantime I'll keep improving my German.

Thank you very much in advance!

Don't really know much about the medical devices industry but I know people working as chemical engineers with basically no German. I'd guess it's possible, but you could also consider applying for general operative jobs as the language requirements might be lower, then when you improve your language skills apply for the job you want.

Thank you for answering me. The biggest market in the EU for medical devices is based in Bayern. There are many offers for this kind of job and I want to keep working in this field, even if it will take more time to get there.

I know maybe I may look too ambitious, but the last reason I'm not already in Nuremberg with my girlfriend is that I want to make some experience here in my language with the objective to go on up there.

My biggest concern is: will the quality documents be in english or in german? that's the point in my opinion. Maybe there is someone here working in this field (not necessary medical devices, just quality) that can help me about it :rolleyes:

Hi where i can get some information about jobs that uses the english language here in Nuremberg, Also i was wondering if there are  any zeitarbeit that requieres English speaking employees. I speak some German probably at level A2 so i also can fallow instructions in German and have some basic conversation probably with some grammar  mistakes. I have a work permit for two years so that is no problem. I have  Bachelors Degree in Marketing and experience in sales and and in Tourism. I used to lived in Germany for a couple of years and last July i came back because i wanted to be close to my son so any advice would be appreciated.

Am not too convinced that everyone coming to Nuremberg should try Adidas.

There are other good companies in the area who only require English.

Have you tried going to www.monster.de and in the keyword (Stichwort) box, typed Marketing or Sales.

Saw the website but most the vacancies i was able to see require also the German language. Thanks for the information i just keep looking. Maybe im in luck and i find something that requires only english or some basic German 

Am not too convinced that everyone coming to Nuremberg should try Adidas.

There are other good companies in the area who only require English.

Are there really that many low skilled and unskilled jobs in the area that don't require German?

I was talking to a woman working at one of the IQ Netzwerk institutions in Nuremberg a few months ago and she mentioned that it was difficult for foreigners who don't speak German to find more than a minijob.

The guy said "I have  Bachelors Degree in Marketing and experience in sales and and in Tourism."

I assumed he was not low skilled or unskilled.

The guy said "I have  Bachelors Degree in Marketing and experience in sales and and in Tourism."

I assumed he was not low skilled or unskilled.

We are talking about the (incredibly inflexible) German labour market; there is a huge difference between educated and employable.

What skilled positions are open to a foreigner with only a foreign BA in Marketing and weak language skills? How many tourism jobs can you think of in Germany that don't require German?

I am just trying to give advice.

I never thought I would be interrogated about it or given the third degree.

I don`t know anything if he is employable with a BA in Marketing. I am not an expert on this subject.

I have no clue about tourism either.

I just sent him a monster link, that`s all, hoping that it might help.

Please don`t let me hang on this forum for this.