Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ideas for work in Oberpfalz English speaking

6 posts in this topic

Hi There

Does anybody know of any companies that may recruit English speaking people? I only speak a little German and am still learning although its a slow process and would like to start something.

Areas Im thinking are Weiden Cham Amberg etc

Be great if anyone has any advice or ideas!

:blink: :blink:

Once you've learned enough German to follow simple instructions, you can try the temp agencies.

Apply for any jobs you feel you would be capable of doing - even if you don't get them, the experience of being interviewed in German will be good for you!

You might also want to consider work in hotels, particularly those with international clientele - they often need people with good English skills.

What sort of work are you looking for? I'm an engineer and I've only been seriously looking for work since the end of November but what I've learned so far (an someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)is that Germans seem to have specific requirements for every job that's posted. That is, if you didn't follow the track from school to where you should be for the job you're applying for, you're quickly disqualified. My record is 1 hour from submitting my CV, School Certificates and Cover letter to getting a 'No Thank You' response. My problem is that my work experience is broad in that I have worked in several different industries and I think they like experience to have more depth... just one industry. Between that and the 'benchmarks' or certificates you're supposed to have obtained along the way, I often get the eyes glazing over look in interviews and most times they just seem to not know what to do with me. I think you just have to get out and meet people and hopefully one of them is in a position to hire you for something. At least that's the approach I'm going to start taking. I think that's probably universal wherever you are though. Anyway, hang in there and keep trying... I am! :)

The best thing you can do is work hard at learning German, as finding an English-speaking job in the Oberpfalz is extremely unlikely. On the order of hell freezing over or similar.

You might also want to consider work in hotels, particularly those with international clientele - they often need people with good English skills.

I recall you mentioning hotels before, do international hotels in your area hire foreigners who can't speak German to work at the front desk? In Berlin the upscale hotels usually only hire staff who've completed an Ausbildung and would never hire someone who can't speak proper German for a role where they would have to interact with guests (German guests expect to be served in German in Germany).