Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Frankfurt is a place to go in 2014, says NY Times

19 posts in this topic

The first time I planned my trip to Germany, I decided to go to München. The only reason I ever came over to Frankfurt was because my wife lives 2 hours away from Fra. Im not sure how they composed that data, but its probably a bit biased. :P

I have to say that Frankfurt looks to me like a smaller Toronto.  Not just the high rises in the business district (Mainzerlandstrasse reminds me of Front St.) but Gutleutviertel reminds me of Parkdale (especially after you pass the bridge with the trains), Ostpark reminds me of a section of High Park etc.  With that being said, if you are German or German-looking you may get jumped around the Bahnhofviertel at night so be careful. :D

Frankfurt with its 727,000 inhabitants (+ many daily commuters from the Rhein-Main region) can't really compare to London, even Toronto (which I don't know)  might be another league. Frankfurt is a lot more down to earth and less ostentively chic than parts of London (which I love, but where I wouldn't want to live with an average wage). Despite its modest size, its one of the most diverse cities in Germany, with an interesting mix of nationalities and ethnicities. In this respect it's becoming a mini-London, I think. A big plus besides good public transport and connectedness to other European cities is the attractive surrounding region within easy reach, be it nature (Taunus, Rheingau, Odenwald)  or cities  like Wiesbaden, Mainz, Köln, Heidelberg and many historic smaller towns.

Frankfurt's Bahnhofsviertel can be a bit shady and especially tourists should be aware of that, but e.g. Kaiserstraße and Münchner Straße have improved a lot in the last few years. In parts, the area has in fact become trendy, see Bahnhofsviertel-Guide for bars, restaurants and clubs.

The Bahnhofsviertel has some of the best non-European restaurants in Germany, a wonderful Vietnamese restaurant just steps from the Hbf among the things I regularly go to when waiting to change trains etc.

On 1/30/2017, 1:02:21, kaffeemitmilch said:

It's as dull as Toronto, yes.

Pray tell from what part of the land of the free do you come from?  :D

11 hours ago, J0ker said:

Pray tell from what part of the land of the free do you come from?  :D

Hehe, the land of the free gunshot wounds, you mean? San Francisco Bay Area.

And no, I wasn't really serious about calling Toronto dull. Though the first time I went there it seemed grey and desolate, I've since found it interesting, and wouldn't mind living there.

Frankfurt, too, might seem dull, but it's a livable city, and has a decent amount to offer. It's not overflowing like London or New York, so that's what I miss - endless choice - but who really uses all the opportunities one has, eh?

On 30/01/2017, 14:21:00, RainyDays said:

Frankfurt with its 727,000 inhabitants (+ many daily commuters from the Rhein-Main region)

This looks like something lifted from a tourism guide, but fair play to you if you wrote that.

Have to be honest, I very much like living in Frankfurt, I don't find it (or the region in general) a dull place at all. I do have enormous difficulty persuading friends to visit here though - maybe it's the idea of visiting me rather than Frankfurt that puts them off :D

On 2/23/2017, 3:35:04, kaffeemitmilch said:

Hehe, the land of the free gunshot wounds, you mean? San Francisco Bay Area.

California stopped being part of America about fifty years ago.  It's more like the Britain of Edward Heath with better weather and beaches.

15 minutes ago, hasenpfad1 said:

California stopped being part of America about fifty years ago.  It's more like the Britain of Edward Heath with better weather and beaches.

You make it sound like California is some kind of utopia,  have you ever  been to South L.A:P

19 hours ago, Lavender Rain said:

You make it sound like California is some kind of utopia,  have you ever  been to South L.A:P

How do I make it sound like Utopia?

LA and SF have human feces and discarded hypodermic needles littering the sidewalks.