Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Seeking UK-qualified Solicitor/Notary in Frankfurt

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I need to verify my ID in order to facilitate my house sale in the UK. (Anti-Money laundering regs etc).

The UK law firm completing my conveyancing have advised me that I must certify my ID by taking the required documents to a 'UK qualified' solicitor based here in Frankfurt, or I may use the UK Consular services (so my nearest is Düsseldorf).

I have been in touch with the UK Consular services who have provided me with a list of contact details for some law firms in Frankfurt, who I have emailed an initial enquiry. However as of now I am waiting for replies, I will chase these today.

In the meantime I thought I would turn to my fellow Toytowner's for advise: Could you recommend any firm in the Frankfurt area that meets my needs, any experiences to share and the likely costs would be great please?

Many thanks,

Regards,

Martin.

You might want to check with your solicitor as to exactly what is required. We were in the same position (house purchase) just before Christmas and at first the (London based solicitors) wanted a UK solicitor to certify copies and a form signed. When I explained that would be difficult they said that certified copies from a notary in Germany would be fine and they didn't actually need the form. by the end they'd agreed that certified copies from the Bürgeramt would be OK, although we did go down the notary route, see here http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=311438

From conversations with our solicitor I understand the Anti-Money Laundering legislation says that they have to satisfy themselves that you are who you say you are, but exactly what documents, proof they need for that is largely up to them. It might be possible to persuade them that a notary can certify the documents.

If the cost is approx 200€, lets say... then thats not far off the cost of a flight to the UK....

A bit more Agro.. but at least it all done in English with the guys you are dealing with!

SP

Lyra, Spiderpig & Gordon,

Thank you all for your prompt replies & advice.

Lyra:

I am hoping that perhaps a DE Notary / Bürgeramt may suffice. The service I require is just the ID verification after all. As you advised I have sought further clarification back from the UK conveyancing firm. Hopefully a less rigid proviso for a body to complete this may apply. (Although I will not hold my breath too much). Thanks for your link, I had searched and read it also and felt your pain.

Hopefully everything is proceeding well with your house purchase.

Spiderpig:

I'm hoping that it'll be less than the ~200 euros a flight back to blighty would cost. I'd also lose 2 days pay and the general will to live that queuing in airports seems to provoke these days. Although flying back to prove ID and sign is still an option I may take if all else fails - it may be quicker in the long run, I'll see what the UK conveyancers respond back with.

Gordon:

Well that's 3 lots of help I never had before, maybe there's more to follow.

All,

I have heard back from the UK consulate in Düsseldorf, they charge 38 euros for a certified copy of UK passport, and another 38 euros for a certified copy of residency proving my address. Although they would have to apply a disclaimer to this. I will find out what this is and post back.

I'll keep you posted,

Thanks again,

Martin

We paid the notary €80 for certified copies of eight different documents (including passports and our marriage certificate), so €38 for one copy of a passport sounds quite pricey. I believe that the prices notaries can charge are fixed by law and although I think we got a bit of a discount (turned out that I taught the receptionist's daughter) I don't think that it was very much.

80 euros for 8 copies sounds far more like it. I am still waiting to hear back from the 'money laundering' expert at my UK solicitors to see if a DE Notary will suffice.

Great work on getting your discount and thanks for the further info.

I had to do exactly the same recently and found that you don't actually need a UK qualified solicitor etc. The money laundering regulations require the copy to be certified by a person in an official capacity at an organisation with an official stamp so you can get officially stamped copies done at your local Burgerburo or by your bank manager. My Buergeburo here in Kronberg charged me 3 Euros and my bank manager did if for free :)

Thanks Tim,

That is an absolute bargain there, well done.

I eventually discovered the same thing about not requiring a UK qualified lawyer, although in the heat of the moment I was stressing about finding one. I was not best pleased with the delay that all the uncertainty from my UK conveyancing solicitor caused, especially if I end up being stung for an extra month's mortgage payment.

In the end I searched for a public notary from the Database of Notaries Public maintained by the Bundesnotarkammer (the council of notaries public in Germany) link as below

http://www.deutsche-notarauskunft.de

The database can be searched for notaries public according to region and also according to languages. I used Ritterhaus, and found their service to be exemplary (if not as inexpensive as Tim's). With the cost being 10 euros per notarised ID.

www.rittershaus.net

Thanks to all for the pointers here.

I hope this thread may be of use to others.

Martin.

Hi,

Sorry for going off topic but can anyone recommend a good English speaking lawyer/notary in the Frankfurt area to prepare a prenuptial agreement?

My girlfriend is German, I'm British - we are getting married in April and both want a German agreement, under German law etc but I need a lawyer who can answer my questions in English and provide a translation of the document.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks Toytowners!

I realise this is an old thread, is it possible to provide me with the names of the British qualified solicitors. I am looking for a Lawyer or Notar with an English stamp (required for some thing in Canada) and cannot find anyone with an English stamp. Any help would be appreciated. 

On 1/16/2014, 12:02:17, Forest_Mart said:

Hi,

I need to verify my ID in order to facilitate my house sale in the UK. (Anti-Money laundering regs etc).

The UK law firm completing my conveyancing have advised me that I must certify my ID by taking the required documents to a 'UK qualified' solicitor based here in Frankfurt, or I may use the UK Consular services (so my nearest is Düsseldorf).

I have been in touch with the UK Consular services who have provided me with a list of contact details for some law firms in Frankfurt, who I have emailed an initial enquiry. However as of now I am waiting for replies, I will chase these today.

In the meantime I thought I would turn to my fellow Toytowner's for advise: Could you recommend any firm in the Frankfurt area that meets my needs, any experiences to share and the likely costs would be great please?

Many thanks,

Regards,

Martin.

I realise this is an old thread, is it possible to provide me with the names of the British qualified solicitors. I am looking for a Lawyer or Notar with an English stamp (required for some thing in Canada) and cannot find anyone with an English stamp. Any help would be appreciated.