Accidental torrent, but nothing downloaded

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I just moved to Berlin. I haven't registered yet, and I'm staying at a friends house.

I restarted my computer, and went out for a cigarette, Computer takes roughly 3 minutes to restart.

When I came back, utorrent was opened, I thought I had deleted all torrent related stuff, before coming to berlin :(

I closed it as soon as I saw it, so it was maybe open for like 2 minutes tops.

I searched my computer for any document created and couldn't find anything.

I don't know if it shared anything.

What should I do? I feel very nervous about this, coz right now I cannot afford a lawyer or even a high fine. Please help me :(

Check the utorrent log file to see whether it uploaded anything. Theoretically, everything in your designated share folder was offered to the world. If your share folder was empty, you didn't share anything.

If you really did upload something, or even published the trackers for the files, all you can do is hope that none of the watchdog software that the major dunning firms run saw you.

If any copyrighted material was shared, and it doesn't sound like it was, that material would need to be on the watchlist of a law firm like Waldorf Frommer, one of the most notorious copyright lawyers, and they mostly go for content originiating in Germany, so unless you shared/uploaded content from a German film distributor or an album by Rammstein, I wouldn't worry.

Anyway, if you haven't received a letter within about 2 weeks of your torrent client being open, you almost certainly don't have anything to worry about.

I already deleted the utorrent software. just threw what was in applications in the trash.

Is the log file somewhere else, do you know? I did a search on my computer for utorrent and nothing came up.

Is it a good Idea to contact the service company and tell them about this?

As El Jeffo points out, you simply need to check what was in the shared folder, as that is most likely what was being offered to the rest of the world while the software was running. If you deleted the software you likely deleted any log files too. It makes no sense to contact anyone, and to be honest, if you were only sharing for 2-3 minutes in total the likelihood of your being caught doing anything naughty are pretty small as your torrents will have barely propagated around the world.

The shared folder did have a few movies I downloaded in iceland. But I'm pretty sure I had already taken the sharing off, not positive. And the internet is slow.

Thank you all for the replies, I'll just have to wait and see if a letter arrives :unsure:

Also, check your trash folder/trash bin (if Windows), per default the deleted files are still in there until you empty it. The log file would be in there to check, and maybe ease your mind.

Or, if you really want to be sure, rip out the hard drive, and douse it with sulphuric acid, throw the rest of the machine out of the window, then go buy yourself a Mac.

Curious as to how this turned out?

Long story short: I clicked the wrong button, movie started to download, ran for a minute or two before I realized what happened and was able to remove the item from my transmission queue.

Details:

-Item was a new (but not largely popular/successful) movie, produced in the US

-Upload (seed) speed was set to 20 kb/s

-Internet was so slow I am not even sure if anything WAS seeded

How high are my chances of being held liable for this simple mistake?

Does anything come up if you Google "[NAME_OF_THE_MOVIE] Abmahnung"?

Nothing that even remotely related to the movie in question! (I took it a step further and searched "The Avengers Abmahnung" and got the general idea of what to look for...)