Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Nuremberg from Frankfurt

11 posts in this topic

We are most likely moving from Frankfurt am Main to Nuremberg. For those familiar with Frankfurt, we live near the Bergerstr. - similar to P'berg in Berlin: shops, restaurants, bars - very lively, but residential. Any tips on neighborhoods in Nuremberg? We both face hefty commutes, so we need to remain within a reasonable walking distance to the hbf. Suggestions welcome!

Hi all - really would like some tips. What are the big shopping streets? The areas with nice restaurants, bars, and shops? We had a look around the Glockenhof, and I think that is not what we are looking for.

I have only been here for less than a year, but I would say the best places for the sort of area you're looking for are Johannis, Gostenhof and inside the old town itself. Due to wanting to be near the main station, I would suggest looking in the old town - in the Lorenzer Altstadt part. I also have a daily commute (to Erlangen) and took a place in the Lorenzer Altstadt, which is 5 mins walk from the station and in the middle of beautiful old buildings, surrounded by plenty of shops, restaurants and cafés etc..

Thanks for that. I was looking at the U3, and it seems that Rathenauerplatz or Wöhrde Wiese would provide very quick access to the Hbf. Is there a fast easy underground connection from Johannis?

No, that is one disadvantage of Johannis. Yes, WW and Rathenauplatz are close (much of NB is close, just a few stations), although not necessarily providing the atmosphere you suggested you'd be looking for - and that all involves a change to another line/train at the main station - which adds another 10-20 mins by the time you get the connections.

It all depends how long your commute actually is, but for me in the end, the Altstadt was really the only place suitable which also had a café etc atmosphere...the other side of the main station is also close, but a bit run down. My commute to Erlangen is at best 45mins door-to-door, and on bad days (and there are plenty of them) it can easily be over an hour - and that's with having no connection at main station and only a 5-min walk.

Since you live in Frankfurt now, which is not so far away, I would suggest you spend a weekend in Nuremberg and spend the time trying out the commute, and wandering around different suburbs to get a feel for what you like. That's what I did before I moved here.

OK! These are some great tips - thanks for that! I'll be commuting up to Erlangen, and my husband to and from FFM on some days. Luckily, I've a temporary place, so I can check things out a bit.

Johannis is also very expensive...we pay a really high rent here. It kind of depends on how much you have to spend and do you have kids.

a hefty commute to Erlangen? it takes less than 20 mins on the RE trains (granted only one an hour) and about 30 mins on the S-bahn from Hbf

Yeah, which is why I said

door-to-door

Add walking or getting the U-Bahn and changing from wherever you are (lucky me, I only have a 5 min walk), plus (in my case, and in the case of many working at S..s) either a 15 min walk or a bus connection, which also ends up at 15 mins including waiting and walking the other end...all in all 45mins-over an hour, depending on the connections, catching an earlier bus to avoid missing the train if the bus gets stuck in traffic (as it inevitably does, leaving you running through the station only to miss the train by 10 secs), people throwing themselves on the tracks (Forchheim is popular, I believe), etc etc.. You need to build in these factors for a daily commute, not just the pure train trip. Even the VGN site only gives me the fastest connection of 36 mins - and when I have tried that one, usually the connection failed on my and my trip ended up being quite a bit longer.

All the above as an example for the OP to actually try out the commute rather than just thinking in terms of the RE journey.

For those who work at the Erlangen Bruck sites, it's more extreme. It seems closer, but bus connections are worse and most end up still catching the train to Erlangen central and bussing backwards.

There are actually more trains than one an hour these days, but there are frequent delays. In summer, for a while there was only one track, and I suspect they'll do that this summer again as works have not been completed.

Right. I SAID Erlangen, but from Erlangen on to Herzo for me =) And hefty for husband, too, from Frankfurt some days.

I think it is a very good tip to "try" the commute first. Due to many factors it is not possible, but I will try it out with the temporary place. I like your Altstadt tip! To be honest, I love living by the shops....but then I never go in because I am a cheapskate.

I wasn't actually sure if you'd said Erlangen; many are going to Erlangen, and that just happens to be my example, which at first sight looks a lot quicker than it is.

Herzo is afaik a huge commute.

The Altstadt in Nuremberg really is very liveable, not as touristy as you'd expect because so many residents do actually choose to live there. And it is stunningly beautiful!