British Cheese in Germany

64 posts in this topic

Stilton,Wensleydale with Cranberries,Five Counties (ie Cheddar, Cheshire, Derby, Double Gloucester and Red Leicester layered in one block) and Farmhouse Cheddar all on the cheese Counter of my local Marktkauf in Bielefeld.Cathedral City and Irish cheddar in the pre-packed section as well.

and that´s ignoring the strange red cheddar that they offer on top of all that...

if the supermarkets + the cheese u can find in russian/turkish shops (for east europe nostalgics) don't satisfy your needs then you should try ordering from french online shops :) and so, u'll have all the cheese you want :D

This thread got my mouth watering so I made a google search for replacement vendors.

This first place is not cheap but possibly in-line with the aforementioned and out of business cheese emporium. The cheeses look to be fantastic quality though (haven't placed an order yet). Only drawback is not being able to browse by country, just by cheese categories:

http://www.feiner-kaese.de/

On the other hand, this place looks much cheaper and you can browse by country, but the cheeses appear (to me at least) to be much lower quality, and the selection is very limited (for British cheese anyway):

http://www.kaesewelten.de/Grossbritannien:::27.html

Personally I'll be placing an order with the first company soon. I tend to agree with those promoting variety on the cheese front. After 7 years in Germany I'm used to the cheese here (some at least) and I love the availability of fresh soft French varieties in my region, but I still value a good cheddar (mature to extra for my palate) very highly and I'm yet to find any cheese that goes better atop an oven baked dish such as a gratin - my German other-half agrees too.

@ toBnruG: As you're in Lörrach, you might want to check out the British Cheese Centre in Switzerland.

Mike has a fantastic range of cheeses, and AFAIK is in Basel regularly (and also ships, but only to Swiss addresses).

The trick is to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Read the labels. Anything made with pasturised milk is not worth buying and usually forms the bulk of what is on the supermarket shelves in Germany. Thankyou Europe. You can however, if you sift through them all, find one or two cheeses made from raw milk (lait cru - Rohmilch) in places like Rewe or yes, even Lidl. Then the cheese actually tastes of cheese.

@ the.frollein: Thanks for the link! There are a few places I could get delivery to in Basel for collection. Would make a change for a German resident to cross the border to get food from Switzerland though :o

whoa whoa whoa!! You cannot call the plastic shit you ate in Ireland cheddar. If it seems like plastic, then it ain't cheddar! I am so sick of German, Dutch and French cheeses. Don't get me wrong, I love a good edam or a nice camembert but FFS all cheese here has the same mild creamy taste. Where is the tang?! I NEED THE TANG!! Also I second the British Cheese Emporium. Those cheeses are to die for! I ordered some for my birthday so I could do a cheeseboard at work instead of the usual cake hoopla, and she sent me some free cheeses as a birthday present, how nice is that?! I met the owner as well at a school fayre and she was lovely. My cheeseboard went down a storm too. Actually it's been a while, I really should order some more.. Man I frickin LOVE cheese!

Damn I planned to place an order next time I ran out of stocks. Personally I liked your sister's idea and have often daydreamed of doing something similar. I even thought of investing, but I could see the Cheese Emporium had set the bar too high by focussing on artisan suppliers and luxury products. A successful business is more about demand than supply. I'm your ideal customer and even I will only run to one punishingly expensive cheese once in a while.

Where is your sister based? I'd love to meet and discuss ideas. (PM me?)

Recently i saw that some of the newer REWE Center markets (the big ones) also have a cheese counter with a good selection of cheese from all over the world.

But in general you shouldn't buy your prepacked cheese in the supermarket; they are in general only cheap standard stuff. In Frankfurt (and i think in any other large city) there are some specialized cheese stores like Schlemmermeyer in Fressgass and a small store in lower Berger Strasse opposite to the Basic supermarket.

I have bought Cheddar cheese both UK and Irish at Hit Supermarket. It is not in the case with all the millions of cheeses, but in the refrigerator behind the case in blocks. Go figure.

They even shred it for me. I am not use to the white UK though, but a friend from there said it was good. I use the orange Irish cheese for Tacos and such.

:

Beyond plastic supermarket cheese, things have got better recently for people looking for high-quality British farmhouse cheeses in Germany. But you need to go online obviously.

Gourmondo still sells the delicious Wyke Farms Ivy's Vintage Reserve, but has added some further English cheeses to their selection. Feiner-Käse.de is a new business and unfortunately sorts its cheese by type rather than country, but if you work your way through you'll find cheddar from Keens and Parks Farm, Red Leicester from Dorset and Stilton from Leicester (obviously), among others. Finally, British Corner Shop delivers Godminster Cheddar, Kit Calvert Wensleydale, Lincolnshire Poacher, Snowdonia Cheddar, Stinking Bishop, Swaledale and more, plus the common muck, to Germany from the UK.

Any other tips appreciated.

Buying cheese online seems a bit bizarre to me, although I can't say it isn't tempting. I've been disappointed in the selection in Germany since day one. At the moment I gorge myself on cheese after every trip to the UK. Currently enjoying Barbers Cheddar, which is delicious. Disappointed I didn't bring more stilton back from my last trip, but it just doesn't last like cheddar does.

I am constantly surprised how many supermarkets in Frankfurt & Offenbach sell Cathedral City these days. Hit always has the best choice, with 4 different aged varieties, from 5 months to 15 months.

But Rewe & Tegut also sell it (Rewe and Hit also have a nice Irish cheddar as well that may only be 3-5months old and pre-sliced, but goes great on a home-made BBQ'd burger.

The Taste of Britain in Frankfurt also has some more options from less mass-produced brands.

Then again, things are really looking up for British food and drink in the Frankfurt area. The local Hit sells no less than 6 different brands of "English" crisps (mostly from UK, but also Ireland and US), baked beans in the big 3kg plastic screw-top jug (complete with English writing), English style backbone bacon (though still thinner than you would normally find in the UK) and loads more.

I can even get three different brands of Ginger Beer within 5minutes walk in Offenbach, 2 from the UK, old Jamacia and Grace, and believe it or not, Bundaburg from Australia (though that is generally a bit dear)

Real usually stock a decent English cheddar, a bit on the mild side but definitely not rubbery, great for cheese on toast :P

I actually came across some decent English Cheddar in a nearby Cheese shop, its on Nordendstr., close to where Hohenzollerstr. crosses it. It was actually pretty good, not the strongest, but it wasn't cheap either.

If you like French cheese (or in other words, if you like cheese), then you're in for a treat in Lidl today and today only. You just need to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Will keep you going until the British Cheese Emporium reopens in mid-November.

post-977-14134510858455.jpg

Edeka near me started to sell a quite nice block of Irish cheddar. It was more mature and nicer than the Cathedral City i've seen at Rewe.

It was also laktosefrei for those interested :)