CR&Cie - Germany wide (health)insurance and investment advice for Expats

83 posts in this topic

I just had an inquiry from someone whose washing machine leaked water (probably while out of the apartment himself) and caused damage to the living room underneath.

The landlord, whose room it was, had the entire wooden floor removed and replaced because of the damage. Apparently, he gave this to his own building insurance as a claim because the wooden floor is usually considered to be part of the building and not content (like a rug would be).
So far so good, one might think. But: of course, the insurance company is going to hold liable the person who caused the damage. Now the insurance company is demanding a lot of money from the poor guy. And while he thinks that the costs charged to him for replacing the wooden floor are over the top, he would have to hire an extra lawyer (with the risk of losing extra money for nothing) in order to dispute some of the claims...

Siiigh: all this could have been avoided with a simple 3rd party liability (but a really good one which includes negligence into the coverage, because if you let your dishwasher or washing machine run while out of the house, this is considered to be negligent in German law and some insurance won't pay consequently).

The 3rd party liability insurance, which costs only maybe 60-80 EUR for a single person PER YEAR (!!!!) would

1) have in general paid for the damage

2) would have taken legal steps on behalf of the insured client if damage claims are too high or extravagant without him having to pay for an extra lawyer

3) and if you set your insurance up thru a broker (which does not cost you more, btw) you'll not only have the right insurance coverage (see the negligence issue above) but also someone who processes all the claims paperwork on your behalf with the insurance company for you.

You can read more about 3rd party liability insurance here on our website: 3rd party liability insurance - why you need it !

Please also check out the links back here to Toytown where some classic cases of other Expats are reported who suffered badly from lack of such an insurance.

While the damage to the property in the case above may cost a few thousand EUR if the guy is unlucky, it is nothing compared to causing injury to one or more people by accident or negligence like the person who caused a Tramway to make an emergency stop because of crossing in front of it. Here we can easily reach tens of thousands of EUR in damage claims for injuries suffered. 

So, do yourself a favour - get a good (!) 3rd party liability if you don't have one yet. And if you have one, have an expert (insurance broker or insurance consultant) double-check it for you to make sure you have the right one.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Best Advice I have had on obtaining Health Insurance as a Freelancer NON EU Citizen while currently living in Germany. Patrick was more than helpful, he was understanding, informative, and kind. Thanks to him, I didn't go with a private health insurance company Central that would have costs me €400 Euros a month with a €700 Deductible.

He advised me to the place I should be as a Non EU freelance actor and model, the KSK social insurance for freelancers. Which is much cheaper, and covers more. Thanks to Patrick, I am not alone searching the internet. I can just email the health insurance expert of Germany with complete trust he will give the best advice he can for my specific health and life needs.

Highly recommended to anyone I care about or is struggling with Visas and in current need of a doctor. Patrick has your back.  

So, it is SEPTEMBER again. Time for a quick reminder that most insurances in Germany, which run on a yearly contract, allow you to give notice only with three months time before the end of the calendar year. This is particularly true for private health insurance, but often also for 3rd party liability insurance, content insurance, legal liability insurance and so and so forth.

Therefore it is a good time to have your insurance(s) checked by an independent expert before the end of September so that you can cancel and switch if you'd be better off with another insurance. !!!!!

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Dear clients (both existing and prospective :-) ) !

today, December 22nd, we are closing down the office for a short Christmas holiday. We shall remain closed until January 3rd officially...but of course, as is normal in today's time and especially if you offer services to your clients: we will monitor our emails inbetween and can react within 12-24 hours max in case of urgent inquiries.

So, if you burn down your house with your own Christmas tree (which would be a claim for your home-content insurance) or burn down someone else house by accident (which then is a claim against you and your 3rd party liability insurance), break a leg and need assistance with your health insurance or whatever comes up: do not hesitate to contact us at once. you can use our contact form at the website, our 0700-phone number or send an email to office@crcie.com and help is on the way. 

meanwhile merry Christmas to everyone and a "Guter Rutsch" into a hopefully healthy and exciting new year 2018 !

Cheerio

I completed an information request on the website around mid-December (but well before the 22nd) and haven't heard anything back.

I started work in Germany on 01/11/2017, and my employer is requesting medical insurance details (I believe they part-contribute) which I don't have because I have not got German medical insurance and coming from the UK system of insurance either being sorted out by your employer, or just using the NHS, I'm a bit lost.

I also presumably need some sort of insurance for the apartment that I am renting.

24 minutes ago, Mackle said:

I completed an information request on the website around mid-December (but well before the 22nd) and haven't heard anything back.

I started work in Germany on 01/11/2017, and my employer is requesting medical insurance details (I believe they part-contribute) which I don't have because I have not got German medical insurance and coming from the UK system of insurance either being sorted out by your employer, or just using the NHS, I'm a bit lost.

I also presumably need some sort of insurance for the apartment that I am renting.

Pm Starshollow, john g with your question. As yours is not the emergency type that was mentioned- you may have to wait!

Usee TT search for threads on UK citizens, NHS and 3month period in which you may be able to move into Public Kasse .

This is also covered in UK gov. Website on "Moving to Germany".

I am no expert, these 2 guys are your source, so use your pm function.

I feel bad about posting on Starshollow´s thread but I´ve just seen RedMidge´s post..actually, Mackle´s situation IS actually an emergency type ...he/she can´t really get paid by the employer if not properly health insured. Plus: IF Mackle is a high earner with the choice of either public or private insurance...there is a three-month time limit to get accepted by public insurance as a  well-earning voluntary member so IF Mackle comes under this category, he/she MUST get insured quickly for the previous reason and to avoid the risk of not being able to choose public insurance if that´s his/her wish. Or even because a serious medical condition could make private insurance difficult and then..it´s all very messy.

(I had a case like that once...really messy...guy ended up leaving the job in Germany and Germany itself ).

PM Starshollow, Mackle -of course he´s busy but I´m sure he´d be able to help with the absolutely best advice.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

@Mackle  Hi Mackle and sorry for the delay in answering. Can you please PM me your real name so that I can check our inbox for your inquiry? We have several advisors working for us to which all incoming inquiries are distributed evenly. Need to check if something got lost or so...

also please send me with the PM your email-adress so that I can send you the most important starting questions for insurance advice asap by email in order to see if you are better off with public health insurance or if private health insurance is an option with you.

If payroll bothers you, tell them to use their default public health insurance (usually AOK) for computing your paycheque while we are setting up your REAL health insurance for you. That buys some time.

Cheerio

PS: thanks, JOhn, for stepping in! First day back at the office today :-)

4 hours ago, Starshollow said:

@Mackle  Hi Mackle and sorry for the delay in answering. Can you please PM me your real name so that I can check our inbox for your inquiry?

Thanks, have done :) I accidentally hit the send button too early, so the PM ends rather abruptly and without any "Many thanks and kind regards," or "Mit freundlichen Grüßen" - sorry about that.

If you are self-employed and need a VISA, getting a legally compliant health insurance in Germany can be somewhat of a challenge, even a Catch22-situation. 
Finally, we have worked out a solution with a German insurance company and can offer a legally fully compliant health insurance plan (group plan) for self-employed that complies not only to § 193 Abs 3 VVG but also to § 257 SGB V...something often demanded by Ausländeramt in some German cities.
For more info and quotes, contact us !

Cheerio

I just wanted to offer a positive review for CR&Cie. They have been immensely helpful and generous with their support and time. They are very knowledgeable in what they do and take a weight off your shoulders. Big shout out to Keith Tanner!

Hi Guys

Currently looking to switch to PKV but need to be sure of some things that the advisor told me...

Policy would be 572 / month , payable up front each month

Employer would refund me half, so 286 / month in my salary at the end of the month

Advisor also says I would get a tax deduction of 44% on my part, so effectively get 126 EUR back on top, which she says will be visible in my salary each month.

Tried to do some online salary simulators but can never see the effect of this tax deduction.

My employer cannot provide a simulation with this scenario, and I want to be 100% certain before switching.

Can anyone confirm?

Also, if I add my future baby at 120 / month, the employer would also refund me 60 / month in my salary.

Is that also correct?

Is there also a tax deduction of 44% on the 60 / month?

On 05/05/2018, 09:13:40, UKVegas said:

Hi Guys

Currently looking to switch to PKV but need to be sure of some things that the advisor told me...

Policy would be 572 / month , payable up front each month

Employer would refund me half, so 286 / month in my salary at the end of the month

Advisor also says I would get a tax deduction of 44% on my part, so effectively get 126 EUR back on top, which she says will be visible in my salary each month.

Tried to do some online salary simulators but can never see the effect of this tax deduction.

My employer cannot provide a simulation with this scenario, and I want to be 100% certain before switching.

Can anyone confirm?

Also, if I add my future baby at 120 / month, the employer would also refund me 60 / month in my salary.

Is that also correct?

Is there also a tax deduction of 44% on the 60 / month?

Hi there - this question belongs either into the general Finance Forum on Toytown or into a direct inquiriy with us here at CR&Cie. You have written in the comment-section for our advertisement, where people usually write about their (hopefully positive)  experience with us.
Please use our contact-form here on Toytown or on our website, if you want to have a personal feedback.

Having said that: if you already have an advisor who is going to gain serious amounts of money from your signing up with such an insurance (about 6-8 times your future monthly gross premium) , you should insist on full information and disclosure about these tax issues by him or her. Is the advisor an independent broker or a tied agent? If you do not know or understand yet the difference, check out our explanatory video here: https://www.crcie.com/insurance/insurance-sold-germany/

Having said all of the above, there is always a change in taxation of your gross salary when you sign up for a private health insurance that costs less than your current max. contribution of your public health insurance. REason being that the saved gross income is obviously also becoming taxed with normal salary taxes and social welfare contributions. Hence the "savings" from the difference between public and private health insurance can never be net results.
After all, a decision to go for private health insurance should not be based alone on saving money as compared to public health insurance. It is a decision about a different quality of coverage and services foremost and some pecuniary savings on monthly contributions can be a cherry on top, but never more. 

Cheerio

There is some unsettling news in UK media in the wake of a hearing in Parliament about the consequences of hard BREXIT from the point of view of British insurance companies (including pension assurance companies). 

5b584b120bef7_Independentondangersforpen
I have just written about this in the FINANCE FORUM and everyone who already enjoys monthly pension payments from a private/company pension in the UK while living here in Germany or plans on drawing such pensions in the future from UK-based plans should read it and consider the options available to eliminate such uncertainties in the near future.
https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/379476-payments-from-uk-pensions-in-danger-because-of-hard-brexit/

Cheerio

Pat was incredibly helpful to me in my move to Munich. He explained the full situation to me with regards to healthcare for a freelancer. It turns out that in my situation I can't get private healthcare (chronic condition) but he came up with a solution for me that will work well. His solution will save me months of runaround trying to figure it out on my own, and I would highly recommend him.

Left a message on the contact form a few days ago but still eagerly awaiting a reply! :)

4 hours ago, jonzo said:

Left a message on the contact form a few days ago but still eagerly awaiting a reply! :)

sorry about that... can you send me a PM, please, with your email address and clear name (as used on the contact form) and I will make sure you'll be contacted on Monday or Tuesday at the latest. We are currently a bit overrun by new clients wishing advice for  QROPS transfers, hence we are bit lagging behind right now in getting back to some new inquiries...

Cheerio

I would just like to add my voice to the list of people who are impressed with Patrick's courteous and valuable customer service.  I contacted Patrick a few months ago, and have since had several contacts with him via email.  I currently live in the USA, and my wife and I won't be moving to Germany for at least 15 years, so it didn't turn out that we did much formal work with Patrick at this time.  However, Patrick gave us some very good advice without any pressure on what we can do now to check our accounts for the future.

It's nice to know that if/when we do finally move to Germany, there is someone there that can assist with the big picture issues like insurance, financial planning and the like.  Thank you Patrick.