No money to pay the rent

78 posts in this topic

@nina_glyndwr

Surely it turned out as a bad decision but I had what appeared in the beginning a sound proposition for money then it turned out to be a waste of time, money and effort. Too bad I already had the rental contract and all and while I was looking for jobs it was the lack of German and the pressing need for regular cash that drove me to take these 2 part-time jobs. I got a room-mate to help with rent but I guess too late.

Just the other day I went to UPS for a loader/unloader job which pays pretty well (13.65 per hour would have allowed me to cover the arrears within a month in addition to the other job I took already) and has convenient times and the lady there said NEIN! Improve your German. We need better German ... which was kind of ironic as my German is not so bad for 7 months here and there were these 2 younger (20-ish) guys who spoke zero German and got hired right in front of me.

@bugbug

I used to work as a bartender and bar manager in NYC in my twenties so I have experience in this regard. Tried most Irish pubs in town with no luck so far.

Have you tried zeitarbeit? The pay is shit, starting from 8,19 an hour right now if memory serves me right but with a full time job, you'd be able to make ends meet. You'd net around 950€ and your health care is already covered. Generally those are factory jobs and you might work shifts but you don't need much German. If you work night shifts, you'd get a bit more.

As for the guys at 20 getting hired and you weren't, that's ageism and apparently common here. I know a guy who is over 50 but a good, fast worker and he had the same experience. He interviewed with 2 young guys, they were hired, he wasn't. He asked why and they said that the two young guys seemed more interested in the job while he said during the walk around, he was the one showing interest and the other guys didn't. If they had let them work for a day to show their worth, I am sure he would have been the first guy hired. Being 20 doesn't necessarily mean better worker but many German employers seem to think so.

I am with LeonG on ageism here. Many places here, at least in Munich, it is really bad.

I think it is really nice that so many people have offered you some good advice.

Here are some tips from me.

A colleague of mine used to take his grandfather's gold pocket watch to the local pawn shop when he was short of money. Do you have anything you could take there like a watch, camera or something similar? It would mean you get some immediate cash to help you out.

Have you thought about asking for a job at the post office like sorting the mail for instance. People there work shifts but I don't suppose they have to speak a lot of German.

As mentioned in previous posts, a job in a restaurant or bar means you will get paid and probably have access to cheap meals &food.

Some of the old fashioned brewery restaurants sometimes offer a room with the job.

Buy a ready cooked chicken from your local supermarket. It will give you a good meal for several days. You can eat it with noodles, rice or salad and make sandwiches or a soup out of the leftovers.

The Salvation Army or the Bahnhofs Mission may be able to help you.

Keep an eye on the jobs offered page here:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=313912&view=findpost&p=3154989

- for example!

BTW - you can also get paid for donating blood here! (I can't, as I am a Brit and might also be a Mad Cow!)

If you are in Munich (and it would be helpful if you could actually answer direct questions, I get the impression you're avoiding that)

try here for a hot meal

Mother Teresa of Calcutta. Address: Plinganserstr. 22, Tel.: 089-776281

I volunteered there yesterday and they will have a meal today at 3pm. They are then closed until new year.

If you are in Munich (and it would be helpful if you could actually answer direct questions, I get the impression you're avoiding that)

The OP actually amended his profile a few days back to show that he is in Munich...

Well done to you Camlough for your volunteer work!

Glad things are working out for you centurion5. With a PhD in IT, how did you land up in the current situation? It must be an interesting tale!

Whats even more interesting would be the story of how they Got a job Interview.. secured the Job.. paid of some debts and apeased the landlord..

All of this in less than 3 weeks, taking ito account that most of Germany was closed for the 10days or so!

It is me, or does anybody else find it strange that a PhD Graduate in IT could not figure out how he came to be listed under Munich, and correct/delete it?

Maybe this was the happy Christmas thread meant to make us all feel happy and helpful around Christmas?

Whatever, I am glad it's over and apparently the OP has solved all of his problems within the course of a few days - maybe he can provide some useful tips for others?

It is me, or does anybody else find it strange that a PhD Graduate in IT could not figure out how he came to be listed under Munich, and correct/delete it?

You might be one of those people who ask your IT friend to help you with Excel because after all he is an IT guy and should know everything about computers.

It is me, or does anybody else find it strange that a PhD Graduate in IT could not figure out how he came to be listed under Munich

I find it odder that I magically knew he was in Frankfurt and thus gave him a link to cheap flats there :-)