Sending passport to the US consulate Frankfurt

55 posts in this topic

Love the part where she says the fingerprint data is only kept encrypted on the card chip *cough*BullShit*cough*hrumphh*

;)

Are you saying that it is only valid in combination with a passport even in Germany? 

Guess I'll be taping mine in my passport to avoid carrying 2 things.

Hmmm. According to Himself  one doesn't have to get the card if one has the old passport with the old Aufenhaltserlaubnis together with the new passport.

Ausländische Staatsangehörige, die einen neuen Reisepass erhalten haben und in ihrem bisherigen, aber abgelaufenen Reisepass

•  eine Niederlassungserlaubnis
  •  eine unbefristete Aufenthaltserlaubnis
  •  eine Aufenthaltsberechtigung
  •  oder eine Daueraufenthaltserlaubnis-EG

besitzen, müssen jedoch nicht sofort einen elektronischen Aufenthaltstitel (eAT) beantragen, denn der Aufenthaltstitel im bisherigen Pass bleibt gültig.

Die Wiedereinreise nach Deutschland ist auch ohne einen elektronischen Aufenthaltstitel möglich. 
Sie können einreisen, wenn Sie Ihren alten und den neuen Reisepass vorzeigen.

Vor einer Reise in Drittstaaten empfehlen wir Ihnen jedoch, mit der jeweiligen Landesvertretung im Bundesgebiet rechtzeitig vor der Ausreise Kontakt aufzunehmen, da die Ausländerbehörde keine verbindlichen Aussagen über die Praxis ausländischer Behörden treffen kann.

Benötigte Unterlagen

Für die Beantragung eines eAT benötigen Sie

•  den alten Pass (sofern vorhanden)
  •  den neuen Pass
  •  ein biometrietaugliches Lichtbild
  •  und einen Termin

What say you?

Seriously, I'd rather have my eyes poked out rather than going to the KVR and pulling a number.

Benötigte Unterlagen

And €60. Of course, they do take "the Card" (when lucky, they give it back too);)

My local (Ebersberg) Beamtin told me that yes, it is considered an ID Card, but not a Reisepass. So when raided in the SBahn, just Show them your Card, and leave your passport at home.

NOTE TO FUTURE TRAVELERS: there are countries (LIKE THE NETHERLANDS) who will deny one Access to the Country if the current passport is less than 3 (THREE) months from expiring. This is not always made clear on travel Websites when booking directly (flights, etc.) or on hiking paths, This happend to me this summer when flying home (Munich) from Chicago. I finally won, however, as I steam started to emit from both ears, and I was on the verge of waging war on the desk Clerk with my crutch. No one wants a crippled old Lady having a tantrum at their ticket Counter :blink: BTW, travelling with props usually results in perks like preboarding and riding in the Airport golf carts. They don't have to know why you have a crutch, just do a Bambi eyes and smile sweetly. B)

I show my driver's license when asked for ID in public transportation and such. Before I had that, I just gave my name and address. When I cross borders, I always have my passport. Now I will have 2.

Just a heads up, as of November 2017 the consulate no longer accepts credit cards.  Not sure if this is temporary or permanent.

Accepted payment methods are:

International Money Orders: American Express or U.S. Postal Service money orders made payable to “U.S. Department of State” (please note that German money orders are only valid for one month);

Bank checks (also known as counter checks) - I guess this means cashier's check.

https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/renewing-an-adult-passport/

6 hours ago, Buzznut3000 said:

Just a heads up, as of November 2017 the consulate no longer accepts credit cards.  Not sure if this is temporary or permanent...

Wow, that is a huge hassle now. Thanks for that update!

On 1/2/2018, 3:45:09, Buzznut3000 said:

On 1/2/2018, 3:45:09, Buzznut3000 said:

Just a heads up, as of November 2017 the consulate no longer accepts credit cards.  Not sure if this is temporary or permanent.

Accepted payment methods are:

International Money Orders: American Express or U.S. Postal Service money orders made payable to “U.S. Department of State” (please note that German money orders are only valid for one month);

Bank checks (also known as counter checks) - I guess this means cashier's check.

https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/renewing-an-adult-passport/

Has anyone tried this yet? Suggestions on where to get an International Money Order or Bank Check in USD? I emailed the consulate and was told I  must pay in USD. But when I went to our bank yesterday (Commerzbank), I was told they can't give me a check in USD to be used in Germany - a German issued USD check can only be mailed abroad.

I have emailed about what the bank said and am waiting for a response but not holding my breath for useful information. For the most part it seems their responses have been copy/paste from the website or some manual. 

When I first asked if thr payment could be in € this is what they said:

"In reference to your inquiry, accepted payment methods are:

·               International Money Orders: American Express or U.S. Postal Service money orders made payable to “U.S. Department of State” (please note that German money orders are only valid for one month);

·               Bank checks (also known as counter checks)

All money orders and  checks must be machine-readable (i.e., have a coded line running along the bottom of the check) and must be made out in USD

Checks cannot be older than 30 days from issuance to submission for passport renewal.  No personal checks will be accepted. No credit cards are accepted through the mail until further notice. Applications with credit card information postmarked after November 30, 2017 will be returned.  Please do not send cash through the mail. Applications with cash, credit card information, EC card information, or otherwise not meeting the instructions for payment will be promptly returned to the sender (https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/renewing-an-adult-passport/).

Applicants who are unable to utilize one of the accepted payment methods listed on our website, can apply for a passport in person and pay the fee in cash (U.S. Dollar or Euro) or with a credit card."

This was their response, " In reference to your follow-up email, applicants who are unable to utilize one of the accepted payment methods listed on our website, can apply for a passport in person and pay the fee in cash (U.S. Dollar or Euro) or with a credit card. Please schedule an appointment online: https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/renewing-an-adult-passport/

We hope this information has been helpful"

Ugh, it was not. I'm in Darmstadt and 36 weeks pregnant. The idea of waddling down there by train for an 8am appointment (if I'm lucky to get one so late) sounds terrible. 

Anyone else successfully found a way to pay with the new restrictions? 

I just sent mine in.  I had my bank in the US send a cashier's check for $110 made out to US Department of State.  They charged me $8 to expedite it and I got it in about 6 days.  If you don't have access to a US bank you'll have to go to the American Express site and you can create an account and get an International Money Order.

2 hours ago, Buzznut3000 said:

I just sent mine in.  I had my bank in the US send a cashier's check for $110 made out to US Department of State.  They charged me $8 to expedite it and I got it in about 6 days.  If you don't have access to a US bank you'll have to go to the American Express site and you can create an account and get an International Money Order.

YES! That worked. It cost me $15 but the check should be leaving the US in 1-2 business days. 

We called Western Union and they said no USD as well.

This is kind of a crazy procedure and possibly not well thought out. 

WTF?!?!?!?!

this is so typically clueless american style

I'm not thrilled to run the gauntlet of machine-gunned armed guards, metal detectors and bomb proof doors at the consulate, but at least I CAN do that if necessary.

thanks for sharing these experiences - it's truly helpful

ETA:  why do I suspect american express had a lobbiest whispering sweet nothings to whoever passed these new rules?

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I'm thinking it is more of a fuck you to expats. You know, us non-patriotic types. Love it or leave it and all of that.

yeah...you wanna leave it?   PAY PAY PAY

like I said, I look forward to telling them to take my passport back and stick it in very dark, uncomfortable and stinky place ;)

less than 2 years to go

ETA every time I read the US renunciation of citizenship form, I just laugh when I get to the part about understanding that I will be giving up "the full force and protection of the US government"