Sending passport to the US consulate Frankfurt

29 posts in this topic

I had applied for a non-immigrant US visa at the consulate in Frankfurt and they needed to do some administrative processing, so I was sent back with my passport. Now I received an email from the US consulate to mail my passport to them. I am wondering if its necessary to send it via the registered DHL option or on the other hand the consulate doesn't sign away post they receive and hence prefer regular post?

Has anyone sent their passport to the consulate by post before?

Never ever ever send anything important like a passport or original documents like birth certificate, diploma etc. by anything EXCEPT registered post.

Also check their instructions for how they send it back to you. When I mailed in my passport renewal I sent a pre-paid envelope as they requested but it was not the right one- they will only accept a specific size and company. I had to mail them the correct one and naturally this caused a short delay.

I had applied for a non-immigrant US visa at the consulate in Frankfurt and they needed to do some administrative processing, so I was sent back with my passport. Now I received an email from the US consulate to mail my passport to them. I am wondering if its necessary to send it via the registered DHL option or on the other hand the consulate doesn't sign away post they receive and hence prefer regular post?Has anyone sent their passport to the consulate by post before?

Yes, they do sign for registered mail and the name of the person who accepted is noted on the DHL website which you can view after entering the Sendungsvervolgung number.

I did mine last year and it was really simple..the new passport comes back with the cancelled one in the prepaid registered DHL envelope you send them.

Just follow the instructions *EXACTLY* as stated on the Frankfurt Embassy website and double check *EVERYTHING*

http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/passportrenewalbymail_adult/

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/frankfurt/9318/consular_pdf/DHL%20Passports.pdf

Mine took about 6 weeks...with no problems.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the responses. The consulate sending back to me isn't a problem as they have kept the pre-paid, pre-stamped yellow DHL envelope I had taken during the interview. I never found any info on the website about the applicant mailing to the consulate. Of course I now see that some info is given to US citizens who mail their passports for renewal.

Update July 2015 - Just renewed my US Passport by mail via the US Consulate in Frankfurt -

took exactly only TWO (2 !!!) weeks from day (June 24, 2015) of sending the DHL

EXPRESSEASY envelope with the old passport to the day of receiving DHL

EXPRESSEASY envelope with the new passport (and cancelled old passport) on July 9,

2015. Needless to say, I was quite flabbergasted: only TWO WEEKS !

Was quite easy - just follow the instructions EXACTLY:

http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/passportrenewalbymail_adult/

The application Form DS-82 you fill out online and the Website prints the form as

.pdf-file. The "Credit Card Payment Authorization Form" you get from the

"germany.usembassy.gov"-Website. Getting the new Photo in required 5 x 5 cm format took

15 min. at a German Foto shop. The old Passport you have already.

You need to buy TWO (2) DHL EXPRESSEASY envelopes at a German Post Office at Eur

10.92 each. One for sending in the old and the other for receiving back the new passport -  

you fold the second DHL EXPRESSEASY envelope in the middle and enclose it with the old

passport etc that you send to the Consulate address:

U.S. General Consulate
Passport Services
Gießener Str. 30
60435 Frankfurt am Main

That's it ! Hope yours goes so quickly, too !

see also:
Forum page "Sending passport to the US consulate Frankfurt"
particularly the post from "sr5dnptylno" above in this topic

Greetings from Dr. Bob in 58452 Witten

Update – USA Passport Card received in 6 weeks (August 4, 2015) after sending in the application to the U.S. Consulate Frankfurt. The Passport Book I had received back renewed in just 2 (two !!) weeks (see post above).

I am currently trying to renew my U.S. passport by mail and am getting conflicting information about which forms I need and payment. My current passport expires in May but I want to get a jump on things in case any travel comes up.

I started my search on the Munich Consulate website using their links. I filled out a long application which wasn't printable. I went back and found form  DS-82 which I think is the one I need in PDF format. On that form, it only gives 2 U.S. addresses to send it to along with my passport and payment which can be by personal check or money order. On the German U.S. Consulate site it said I could pay with credit card although there is nowhere to submit my credit card info.

Has anyone done this recently? The old links above don't exist any more.

Confused and did not plan to spend the entire day doing this.

Thanks in advance.

Hi fraufruit,

I did this recently. It was no problem, though it was a bit confusing trying to find the right info online.  Try this link - I think it has everything you need: https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/how-to-renew-a-passport/required-documents/  As described here you need to send the passport to the consulate in Frankfurt, not to the U.S.  And you can pay by credit card, by mailing in this form along with your application: https://de.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2016/01/Credit-Card-Payment-Authorization-Form.pdf

They're also reachable by phone weekdays between 2 and 4 +49 (0)69 7535 ext: 2100. They were pretty helpful when I called them.

Thank you so much! That is the site I was going through to apply but it all went tits up. (Can girls say that?) Do you remember exactly which form you would up using? Was it DS-82?

I've already printed out the credit card form.

Himself will do the photo after I get my hair cut on Tues.

Thanks again!

p.s. I love this place! TT is alive and well!

I did whichever form is available through the website.  I guess it was DS-82.  As I recall I filled everything out online and then it generated a pdf that I printed out and signed.

Glad to help!

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I get my hair cut on Tues.

Be sure to remove the fruit first!

Just following up. I just got my new passport today so I would say it took 3 wks. from the day I mailed them my old one. Not too shabby.

Now I have to figure out exactly what I'll need to take to the KVR to get my Aufenhaltstitel put in it.

@fraufruit  since 2011 the Aufkleber sticker previously placed in passport was replaced with the Electronische Aufenthaltstitle in form of a plastic card.

Bis 31. August 2011 stellte Deutschland Aufenthaltstitel in Form von Aufklebern aus. Mit der Einführung des elektronischen Aufenthaltstitels wird seit 1. September 2011 eine Plastikkarte im ID-1-Format ausgegeben.

@fraufruit Just a reminder... 

The Beamter will take your fingerprints for the biometric data  and you have the option of activating or not for the use of the electronic signature feature.

I asked if giving the fingerprints was required and they said it was not negotiable. No fingerprints no Aufenthaltstitle.