Are you a rotter or a cad?

24 posts in this topic

Now, it´s been a while since an elderly man called me a " lanky streak of p..s " or similar words while I was doing my paper round and he saw me opening his paper and reading from it before pushing it through his letter box.

This was the venacular of my working class youth.

He could have called me a rotter, a cad or a bounder..but he didn´t ...silly he.

Now, I´ve just come across this interesting article which explains some of the words we used to hear in old black and white movies in English and I particularly like it because Terry Thomas in the picture was the classic cad and he once helped me up in Fulham when I fell over in the street ( I had a back sprain ). He was a gent.

Anyway, which word(s) from your youth to describe your misbehaviour do you remember or miss? Which one(s) should make a comeback? Personally, " you lanky streak ..ah, well. " :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onitor-25185725

Our Headmaster in the middle school used to call us a bunch of guttersnipes ( http://www.thefreedictionary.com/guttersnipe ).

I always found it rather insulting, as I was one of the good girls - a prefect even!

My mother used to call her 4 children 'buggers' until someone at church told me the sodomy meaning. She was mortified when I told her, and I don't believe I ever heard her utter it again. :lol:

By the way, I quite like " pond life " as a modern insult, derogatory comment. Haven´t been called that yet but there´s still hope!

"Pond scum" used to be fairly popular in the States, and I still hear it now and again. I quite like "rapscallion" from the article you linked. I've added it to my vocabulary. :)

Also, the Shakespearean insult is superb! "This leathern jerkin, crystal-button, not-pated, agate-ring, puke-stocking, caddis-garter, smooth-tongue, Spanish pouch".

John, 'lanky streak of piss' reminded me what an older gentleman with a heavy Southern drawl once called me when he delivered a package to the lab: "my oh my, you are one tall drink of water!" I think it was a good thing. :lol:

When my old Mum used to refer to someone who wasn't playing with a full deck, she would call them Dunderheads.

You ain´t nothin´ but a hound dog, garry! :D ,

My old mum warned me about you!

LOL.. the word bonobo came up in class today. The sample sentence said something about a man going off to study bonobos in the wild. And one of the young students started moving his hands as though .. he were playing the bongos. I had to correct him. Sweet though.

I miss the words flibbertigibbet, plonker and drongo.

Oh.. and where did all the twerps go to?

And how about my father's favourite "parrot-faced wazzock"?

I remember "nerkey" from the 80's, a fashionable combination of nerd and turkey!

(turkey: a loser; an uncoordinated, inept, clumsy fool; a tool; a person who is not in with current culture and slang or is just generally uncool.)

What a fun thread! Thank you John!

Given I'm married into an upper class German family, I think I may well be termed a bounder! :)

A what, a what, or even a what? O_oI ought to start some threads that only fellow Texans can understand

In other words, WTF u talkin bout pawdna? (Techsmex lingo) ;)

Actually, I'm a punk whippersnapper, counter-jumping pleb. I reckon that makes me a well-rounded mutt in your terms mate

My dear Jer, I do envy you!

My physics teacher regularly called us: Naval Gazers.

weird, because we were about 1000km from the coast. Besides, what is wrong with watching ships?? :blink:

By the way, I quite like " pond life " as a modern insult, derogatory comment. Haven´t been called that yet but there´s still hope!

Then you should read this book: Prisoners, Property and Prostitutes by Tom Ratcliffe (available on Amazon in UK at least).

My brother loaned it to me & I read it whilst on holiday in September - at times its uproarious, others rather sad.