New phone line and Fritz box

30 posts in this topic

Hi I've just moved to a new house and had an analogue+DSL line connected. A nice Fritz Box 7360 was supplied complete with cable to connect to a TAE socket. And I'm trying to get it going.

The previous tenants had an ISDN socket installed instead of the classic analogue 3-way TAE. I checked in the cellar and found a voltage (56v) across 2 wires not connected to anything. The ISDN socket had no voltage. I connected the 2 live wires up to wires going to the living room and attached them to a new TAE socket (screws 1 and 2) and plugged the Fritz box in. No splitter was delivered and the installation instructions said connect the Fritz box directly to the TAE. The Fritz box reports no DSL (blinking power LED). I also connected a phone directly but it gets no dial tone.

I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions appreciated.

Go into the celler...

Take the fritz box with you... your new TAE socket too..

Try a temp connection with each pair of cables...

If you can open the T-kom wall box, then test in pairs, working from top to bottom..

If all that fails, then go to the pub...

Pictures of the celler connections would be useful!

I tried the pub first. Was that wrong?

Do you think the signal will be different in the cellar? What I did I took the 2 live wires that came into the house and connected them to 2 of the bundle of wires going upstairs. These previously unconnected wires became live upstairs, with slighly less voltage. I'll add pictures presently.

I dunno... the only real advice I gave was "go to the pub"....

The rest is just a wild stab in the dark... ;)

Who is your provider? Have they confirmed the connection should work? Are you sure you have analogue + DSL? - most providers now only offer DSL + IP-telephony on new connections.

You say the previous tenants had "had an ISDN socket" - I presume you mean RJ45 (like an ethernet outlet)? - this must have been connected to an NTBA somewhere (unless this connection IS the NTBA) - what is/was this connected to

It's M-Net and they confirm the connection has been made.

You are right it is probably DSL only. There was no splitter in the pack.

Yes RJ45 type. No NTBA or any hardware anywhere to be seen. Nothing is connected to the RJ45s in the living room or in the cellar.

I have the same Fritzbox and use it for 3 Weeks already. It's actually really easy to hook up. I can take some pics of my setup as soon as I am home if you want me too? And the "splitter" is now integrated in this new fancy Fritzbox so no need for that!

You have to have the TAE box somewhere though, how else would they have been able to even make the connection?

For anyone who wonders, I am with 1&1

Chrissy... There is no Splitter integrated.

In many new connections, even T-kom, there is no splitter needed. ( only the slower dsl speed connections require a splitter as T-kom etc, will still supply an analogue line with these connections)

In Ians case, Its more than likely the fact that T-kom say they have connected, yet infact they havent done a darn thing about it!

Yes, I've had the Telekom screw ups in the past. However this time I have detected a voltage across 2 wires. So I suspect something is happening.

Yes... they havent switched your connection to your pair of wires,

Call 1 and 1...

Good luck!!

Are you sure that you are connecting the FritzBox properly?

It has a proprietary setup for the RJ45 port that combines

DSL, ISDN and POTS in one plug:

http://service.avm.de/support/de/SKB/FRITZ-Box-7390/56:Belegung-der-Kabel-Adapter-und-Anschluesse-fuer-Telefoniegeraete

Yes one end of the Y lead is a analogue telephone plug. Which is in the TAE. The other end of the Y is designed for a splitter. And can be left hanging.

That doesn't sound quite right.

You should have a Y-cable with a grey-RJ45 plug marked "Fritzbox" and on each end of the Y a grey RJ45 marked "Splitter" and a black RJ45 marked "Telefonanschluss" It's possible that a TAE connector is already permanently attached to this cable

If you are not using a splitter then you connect the grey TAE adapter (marked "DSL") supplied in the box to the grey RJ45 plug marked "Splitter" and insert this into the telephone outlet. The black RJ45 (or TAE plug) marked "Telefonanschluss" is left hanging. See here

Inspired by galjins post I tried all the cables and connectors again. And found one that works now. None of them worked before I fixed the wiring. I'm not using the Y cable. Just a straight analogue cable.

Thanks everyone. Now to try the pub!

Nice to hear that it worked out for you. FYI: What you described in post #12 means that you connected your provider's DSL signal to the analogue input of the Fritz box and left the DSL input ("Splitter" end of the cable) dangling empty.

just go to the pub...

You will then see that is the best bit of advice given on this thread!

I have an old phone line and no Fritz!Box, but nevertheless I'm considering buying one and would appreciate a little advice before I do, so I think this post isn't too far off topic..

Current situation . . .

Telephone:

- ISDN connection (2 lines, 3 numbers) via Telekom GPON glass fibre landline

- Oldish Gigaset SX455 isdn with 2 DECT cordless handsets, which require almost everything to be laboriously set up on each handset individually (not via the PC)

- 2x ancient and not at all smart mobile phones, which also require everything to be laboriously set up via each one individually (not via the PC)

Internet:

- VDSL50 connection with oldish Speedport W722V router

I'm thinking of dumping the above hardware and replacing the router with a Fritz!Box 7490(?), retaining the ISDN two simultaneous calls feature, and replacing the ancient mobile phones with a couple of nice shiny smartphones for use in the following ways:

- conventionally when out of the house

- to replace the DECT handsets when at home

- to replace our TV, DVD, etc. remotes, which shouldn't be too hard to do since built-in IR blasters appear to have recently returned to the smartphone scene.

Has anybody any practical or theoretical advice to offer?