Repeating the school year (sitzenbleiben)

30 posts in this topic

School sent us a letter (forwarded on from the Ministry, Schleswig Holstein) saying that the ministry would make it easy for anyone requesting a repeat year. 

But education has always been 'Ländesache'

@wien4ever - presumably your main worry is that they haven't had much German input whilst schools are shut?

I think I would ask the kids what they think first - the German and Sach marks are rescuable - given they've been 'live' so little this year, but if they are not averse to the idea, then going down, particularly as a pair, might be a good plan. Assuming they are up for it, then yes, I think it is a very reasonable thing for you to request. Certainly I know people who have asked as parents, rather than waiting for the teacher to suggest it.

You need to know whose class they would end up in and what that teacher is like, first, though. I had one who would have been better staying down, but he was with the best teacher in Western Europe and would have ended up with a really 'meh' one, so I fought for him to keep his place. 

I think your kids have done really well.

The whole country is in the same situation and as far as I know the education authorities are full aware of it and they are adapting the rules and norms and being very understanding in general.   For example in Berlin, secondary school starts at class 7th and the first year in Gymnasium is a test year and if your performance is not good enough they send you to a less "stressful" type of secondary school.   They already announced that no kid in class 7th will be kicked out this year.

I do not know how they calculate the final grade for the gymnasium recommendation in your state, but the grades do not look too bad.   Before taking any extreme decision maybe you want should at least discuss it with the kid's teacher(s), your kid is probably not alone in this.

Thank you kiplette and Krieg for the feedback. Since it sounds like it is not a nutty thing to do, I will approach the teacher and ask about it. I already hinted to the kids that this would be an option, and it got a lukewarm reception. On the one hand they agreed the repeat year would let them improve and catch up in Deutsch,  on the other hand they feel the embarrassment of being left behind or ridiculed by their classmates, ie. "what would their classmates think!". Their friend who gets 1-2s in Deutsch and who always compares himself to them told them they are in the "dumber" group when the classmates got split into two smaller groups. So I guess they are a bit sensitive about others perceptions. But I remind them they speak 3 languages fluently, and are very good at Math, so the only thing they are lower on is Deutsch, and that's simply from not having German parents and 24/7 Deutsch in the home. I just worry that things will continue to "ramp up" in the 4th grade and beyond, they will not be able to cope and keep up, and they will be handicapped wherever they go later whether it be Gymnasium or Realschule. I don't really trust that the teachers will teach the 4th grade, accounting for the difficult situation they had during corona in the 3rd grade.

The other thing I will do is allow them to stay up late on the weekends to read Deutsch books in bed. As they always complain we put them to bed too early (8:30pm!)  compared to their peers who can stay up until 10:30pm. I admit we don't watch enough German TV... although I did convince them about Die Sendung mit der Maus. I told them it was either German TV or no TV.

8 hours ago, wien4ever said:

Their friend who gets 1-2s in Deutsch and who always compares himself to them told them they are in the "dumber" group

I'd like to see that kid do better than them if the shoe was on the other foot. 

A kid who gets good German marks telling kids who speak 3 languages that they are dumb.. I'm guessing he is concentrating on that one thing he does better than they do to make himself feel better.

You are on the right way though, books are basically practice which is very important.  TV, if you can find a program the kids are really keen on and it is in German it will also help.

Our's isn't keen on watching anything in English but she was introduced to [age appropriate] manga by a friend. As most of that is in english she suddenly had no problem watching in English. 

Granted, it isn't high grade english but it has helped. 

@wien4ever :

We just received a communication from the school that the Berlin Senate had already established the lax rules for kids repeating a year due to lack of confidence in the school year 2020-2021.   The only requirement is to let the teachers know before mid April and to assist to a mandatory meeting with the kid's teachers where you can explain your concerns.  The Senate as well made big emphasis in listening the teacher's recommendation but at the end it is up to the parents.    I expect that other states have similar provisions.

On 10/02/2021, 17:16:35, wien4ever said:

Can I as a parent ask for the school to have my children repeat a grade? Is that allowed ?

Due to Corona, I am contemplating asking the teacher if my twin kids can repeat the school year (Klasse 3). I got their half-year notes last week: 1-2 Math, 3 and 3- in Deutsch, 1 in English, 3 Sachunterricht, 2-3 Kunst, 2-3 Musik, 2 Sport (they have nearly identical report cards)

Certainly possible on a voluntary basis in Berlin as of this week

Wiederholung des Jahrgangs bis 13. April beantragen - Berlin.de

On 2/10/2021, 6:16:35, wien4ever said:

Can I as a parent ask for the school to have my children repeat a grade? Is that allowed ?

I did just that back in 1976 already in grade 11 and in Bavaria.

On 10/02/2021, 17:16:35, wien4ever said:

1-2 Math, 3 and 3- in Deutsch, 1 in English, 3 Sachunterricht, 2-3 Kunst, 2-3 Musik, 2 Sport (they have nearly identical report cards).

I think you should get a German tutor. Will stand them in good stead in the long term. Their marks are otherwise good!  Sachunterricht is because of German? And are you convinced we are not going to have schools shut again next year?!?!?!  I feel sorry for the kids who repeated last school year, only to have to miss the same work again. From my experience of Baden.W schools (got kids from Abi through Grundschule) I think that repeating 3rd grade won't help. Your kids clearly need some help in the grammar and spelling specifically. My experience of the Baden-W Grundschule is that the kids are not "taught" the German grammar, they do lots of exercises where they apply what they as native speakers already know. I know that the native speaker Mums & Kids have it much easier. They formalise the rules they already use, and the spelling is sounded out and then formalised (capitals, umlauts etc). If your kids don't (can't)  hear the correct usage, repeating a year won't help them hear it. You have to get help specifically for that. Your local gymnasium may have a notice board with Nachhilfeangebote that may be cheaper or more local than the bigger chains.