Can Uni tuition fees be claimed in tax returns?

21 posts in this topic

Hi All,

After 1 1/2 Year I have decided to claim my University tuition fees for my masters degree from Germany(If it is possible).

I discussed with my German colleague, whether I can claim the University tuition fees from March 2012 to September 2013, I was surprised to hear "Yes, you can claim your tuition fees".

I have enrolled for a Masters degree in IT field in a private university in Bavaria, where I have to pay 2500€ per semester plus administration fees of 77€

So totally I have paid 10,308€ for my studies in Germany for FY12 to end of FY13.

March(SS12)-2577€

September(WS12/13)-2577€

March(SS13)-2577€

September(WS13/14)-2577€

And also I am doing my Internship where I have some tax deductions naturally.

I would like to know your inputs on my topic thread.

I would like to know your suggestions/ideas for the following questions.

1) Is it true, that I can claim my tuition fees for the above period of my studies?

2) Is there any maximum/minimum-limits set to claim the tuition fees?

3) What are the components, a student can claim in his/her tax claims?(Some said for Laptop,books,travelling(any means), mobile phone..Not sure..Confused a bit after hearing all these)

If any of TT's have been in this situation, please share your experience.It will be benefited to student community in Germany .:)

Some years ago I did a distant learning course and had to travel to Münich once a month for Saturday lessons with our group and tutor. I attached all the train tickets and receipts for books, pens, pencils and so on to my tax form and they were all accepted. The important thing is to prove that you have done or bought the things you are claiming for.

I have Tuition fee paid receipt for all the semesters..It should definitely help I believe. Did you visit any tax consultant or you did everything by your own..?

1) Is it true, that I can claim my tuition fees for the above period of my studies?

2) Is there any maximum/minimum-limits set to claim the tuition fees?

3) What are the components, a student can claim in his/her tax claims?(Some said for Laptop,books,travelling(any means), mobile phone..Not sure..Confused a bit after hearing all these)

If any of TT's have been in this situation, please share your experience.It will be benefited to student community in Germany .

I have been claiming tuition fees back for my Open University courses for several years now. It has always been accepted by the tax authorities, although 1 year then did reject it and we had to point out that they had accepted it for all the other years and we did not understand why now it was rejected, and then they reviewed their decision and accepted it. Just include the receipts, and a full description of the course you are attending and it should be OK. (Mine is in English and is not a problem, or at least they haven't complained!).

Some years I have claimed for 1 course, other years for 2 courses so the fees are similar to yours and I have never heard of a maximum or minimum. Of course you don't get the full amount back for the course, but it all helps.

I have never tried claiming for any equipment I need for this course, but as an IT professional then I do already claim for my PC (over 3 years) and occasionally other IT equipment (but not often) as I need for work when the company doesn't cover it.

Also, I believe that you have to claim for the tax year when you paid for the course. So for example my next courses starts in January 2014, so I make sure that I pay in December 2013 and then I can claim this back for the tax year 2013. If you have already submitted your tax claim for the years you mentioned then I think it is too late to claim this, I don't believe that they will accept this for past years but I am not an expert in this.

Hello DJ_Jay_Smith,

Thanks a lot for the information.

I have not claimed till now, some of my colleagues said you can claim after two years as well, but I have to check this.

Regarding part of claims, since I have paid 10000€ for 4 semesters, is there any approximate range of money I will get back from finanzamt.?

Did you visit any tax consultant or you did everything by your own..?

1. There is no limit for expenses associated with a Master degree.
  2. You are allowed to claim for the last 4 years without any problems, up to 7 years into the past if you quote high court decisions at them.
  3. You will roughly get back (10,000€ x your_personal_marginal_income_tax_rate).

For details, please read these threads.

Thank you PandaMunich,

Big Information, definitely it will help students who visit this page.

Regarding 3) You will roughly get back (10,000€ x your_personal_marginal_income_tax_rate), I did not understand "your_personal_marginal_income_tax_rate"...Can you share more information on this please.

Your personal tax rate is the tax rate that you pay on your last € of income.

For example, if you have a taxable income (approximate taxable income = gross_salary - health insurance costs) of 50,000€, then it is the percentage of tax that you pay on your last €, between 49,999€ and 50,000€.

You can find out your marginal tax rate by choosing "alleinstehend" (= single, or married if your wife doesn't live in Germany) and filling in 50000 into this official web site:

• zu versteuerndes Einkommen: 50000
    alleinstehend
    --> Berechnen

You will get as a result your marginal tax rate:

Grenzbelastung: 40,68%

This means that you will roughly get back: 10,000€ x 40.68% = 4,068€

However, in reality it will be a bit less than that because the more you lower your taxable income through those tax deductible 10,000€, the smaller will your marginal income tax rate become, i.e. you will slide down (= go to the left) on the upper turquoise curve:

post-24869-13843391313887_thumb.jpg

Thank you again for the information PandaMunich.

Since I am a student, I don't think that example suits my case or any other student case.

It would be more helpful, if we consider only the tuition fees I have paid for my studies.

Well, you get a salary in your internship, don't you?

And you pay income tax on that internship salary, of which you do want to get a part (or all) back?

For the years that you had no income, you can do the tax returns, and create losses that you can then carry forward to the year when you finally started earning money. These cumulated losses will then be applied to your taxable income in that year.

Yes, I do have a salary in Internship and Tax deductions are around **, ** €/ Month. I would like to get it back as well.

So my tax claimable components includes:

Tuition fees.

Health Insurance(When I am paying as a Student and also When I am Angestellter).

Monthly Transport Ticket(MVV).

Study materials, Laptop for work.

Extras

And one more thing, I am enrolled for German course where I pay fees by myself, can I include/claim Fees in Tax Returns?

Please advice If I have left out any other important components.

And one more thing, I am enrolled for German course where I pay fees by myself, can I include/claim Fees in Tax Returns?

Yes.

Please advice If I have left out any other important components.

As I told you in the pm, please read the whole thread Filing a tax return for ideas on what to claim in your tax return.

...or pay 150 euro to tax advisor, they will do everything for you. BTW, is it still possible to claim tax advisor fee in the next year's tax return?

Only the parts of the few pertaining to calculating income, e.g. if you also let an apartment, the part for calculating your rental income and also the part to then fill in Anlage V.

But your tax advisor will write on the invoice whether/how much of it are tax deductible.

Thank you So much for the Information PandaMunich & yourkeau..:)

I will start processing my documents, it is early at the moment..But to avoid waiting period in peak time, should start by now.

Once again thanks for all your suggestions.

Bumping a four year old thread, but are costs related to the exchange semester such as train tickets and accommodation also tax deductible? 

Thanks

1 hour ago, hellraised said:

Bumping a four year old thread, but are costs related to the exchange semester such as train tickets and accommodation also tax deductible? 

It depends – train tickets etc.: yes. Accommodation: only when you kept your main residence in Germany and had  double households (a 2018 court decision, see). 

12 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

It depends – train tickets etc.: yes. Accommodation: only when you kept your main residence in Germany and had  double households (a 2018 court decision, see). 

Yes, I still had my place in Munich...for a single student though, how is main residence defined? I visited every couple of months to see friends, but I don't know if that counts.

1 minute ago, hellraised said:

Yes, I still had my place in Munich...for a single student though, how is main residence defined? I visited every couple of months to see friends, but I don't know if that counts.

It is defined as a separate household, i.e. no rent-free room with the parents or similar.

Just now, someonesdaughter said:

It is defined as a separate household, i.e. no rent-free room with the parents or similar.

Does a paid WG room count?