Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Jobs for American around Bayreuth

7 posts in this topic

I have a BA and an MA but I don't speak German. I currently work as a high school teacher in the US. There's someone I want to be with in Bayreuth, so I'm looking around for any possible work to sustain living in Germany. Can anyone here point me in some direction? Is the job search any easier in the country? I've found some postings at a nearby military base but most (if not all) seem to be open to dependents only. Am I hopeless?

What did you study? You'll need C1/C2 German to teach in public schools (see this thread for more info).

Without knowing German, your only options to teach are as a freelance English teacher (see this thread) or at an international school.

Hi and welcome to TT.

You write that "there's someone I want to be with in Bayreuth". Unless this someone is a German fiancé and you're moving here to get married, you will unfortunately have to overcome quite a few hurdles on your way to getting a work permit and a residence permit. More info on those on this TT Wiki page.

And no, without German language skills, the job search will not get any easier, even if you're in-country. Should you decide to make the move, make sure you budget enough to have at least 3-4 months worth of living costs set aside, plus money for health insurance (see this TT Wiki page for more info on that topic).

Thanks for the quick replies. My undergraduate degree was in History and Education and my MA was in Middle East Studies. There seem to be a few jobs open until 12/31 on USA jobs but they say

"Individuals in the local commuting area who are current career/career-conditional Federal employees in the competitive service; reinstatement eligibles; individuals on an interchange agreement; U.S. citizen family members as defined by the DODI 1400.25, Vol. 1232; military spouse eligibles; Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligibles; and/or 30% disabled veterans may apply. All Veteran Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) and Veteran Recruitment Appoinment (VRA) eligibles may apply as well."

Does this mean I'm not eligible for those (and shouldn't even bother applying)?

Well, although it's government-speak, it seems fairly clear from the text you copied that unless you're a vet, in government service or a family member of someone in government service, you're not eligible.

The US military is downsizing its presence here in Germany ever more rapidly, and the few jobs they have for civilians are usually snapped up very quickly. Plus you won't be able to pass the Vorrangprüfung for an unskilled job, whether on base or on the economy.

Frollein,

I appreciate your realism. For now I'll just keep looking and start saving. Any other advice?

My undergraduate degree was in History and Education and my MA was in Middle East Studies.

In order to teach in public schools in Germany you'd need to be able to teach two subjects (as well as know German). Furthermore, very often foreign history degrees are not considered equivalent to German ones. If you wanted to teach in the public system, you'd need to first learn German and then spend 2 - 4 years studying at a German university. I would not recommend this option.

Although it is possible to work at an international school with foreign teaching qualifications, AFAIK there is only one in Bayreuth (you can try sending a speculative application to the school, just in case a position opens up).

Unless you want to teach English freelance (please read the thread to which I linked in my last post), I'm not too sure what you could do here. Your chances of winning the lottery are probably better than finding a job on base if you are not a vet considering you do not have a work permit for Germany either.

For now I'll just keep looking and start saving. Any other advice?

Start learning German.