Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

House removals and the best way to clear a flat

7 posts in this topic

Sadly my mother passed away recently. She had a flat full of countless clothes, shoes, bric a brac and more. Because of the laws it is hard in the first place to get rid of stuff that is of no use. As upsetting as it is we need to resolve the situation. We cannot throw things away because of the garbage and recycling regulations. Does anyone know how to get around this? Second, she had countless shoes, clothes, etc that are nice. We cannot keep everything but to go to flea markets would be heart wrenching. Is there any advice of how we can sell this on. We do not want to make great money but to get a good price for the nicer bits would help. We will try Ebay for a select amount but cannot sell everything this way. Sorry for ramble but we want to clear the flat as quick as possible and not destroy ourselves in the process.

Thanks,

Tashi

Hi Tashi sorry for your recent loss.

re. your dilemma I would advise sorting unwanted items into three piles:

stuff for selling

stuff for donating

stuff for rubbish

you can throw away rubbish at your local Wertstoffhof. some items you may be charged a fee for.

donation is easy, check for Red Cross places near you. for clothes and shoes, bedding and towels etc you can find boxes where you can place the bagged-up items.

selling is easy, try Toytown classifieds! or else have a small Fleamarket sale if you have time. ebay is ok, but there will be fees to pay too, and hassle with posting items if you choose that option, you can also select 'for pick up only'.

good luck, this is not an enviable job you have to do :)

We had to recently clear our my MIL's place and used 2 companies here in Berlin, one company took everything that could be used again and sold on at their second hand shop and the other completely cleared out the flat.

The latter we found through google searching "haushaltsauflösung" and/or "Wohnungsauflösung und Entrümpelung".

One tip, we booked this company who gave us a quote of around €900 to start with over the telephone but due to the amount of diiferent types of materials, ie; wood, metal, electric, cables etc everything had to be separated and charged accordingly. In the end we paid just over €2500 but our problem was that time was against us. If you have the time try searching but get a quote beforehand if you can.

Best of luck and sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear about your loss, I know what you are going through.

If you have any relatives you could ask them to call by and take anything they need away with them. Local hospitals and care homes are usually happy to receive books, nightdresses etc and towels. It is amazing how many people are admitted and have no nightdress, towels and things like that with them.

You could rent a stall at a flea market for a lot of the things you want to sell. The salvation army, your local church or a home for refugees might be interestd in any clothes or household goods that you may wish to donate.

Look for beige metal colour clothing containers with names like Humana, Red Cross etc and put your clothes in there..

http://www.enorm-second-hand.de/

Take your choicest items to a second hand shop such as this. They buy from you for resale.

Here's another in Freiburg; http://schlepprock.de/

Google search "von zweiter Hand"

Im kind of shocked. I always thought it was cheaper to clear out than to ship/move elsewhere. Wow - Is it really true you must always pay so much for a wohnungsaufloesung? I could have sworn ive seen ads where the value is verrechnet or you only pay a small amount. Ive even had leaflets shoved through my door with kostenlos mentioned - although probably more like a man with a van situation rather than a proper industrial scale auflosungs company.