Western union money transfer problems

8 posts in this topic

Dear all,

please advise me on the following matter: 12 days ago, I have sent some money throught western union to some relatives in pakistan. due to some reasons that are still not clear to me - missing birt date of the person, missing father name, etc - that person couldn't receive the money. i went back to the place where i sent money - bahnhof str, near main train station, but they said we can't help you. I have made a request to receive back the money and deposit it to the western union unit, but after 3 days they are telling me that they can't help me and they provide me a non-functional e-mail adress to contact that person and manage situation.

what can i do? how can i get money back? where can i complaint against them? is there a regulatory body from central bank or consumer protection?

i am thinking to complain if possible to central bank, because western union is a bank, and it should be under central bank control.

please some advice and where I can send my complaint, by e-mail if possible.

thank you.

Have you stil got the form you filled in with the name etc of the person who should have received the money?

The customer service hotline is 00800 3940 3940 but is only open until 06.00 p.m. on a Saturday, closed all day Sunday and open Monday-Friday from 09.00 a.m until 06.00 p.m. If you want to send a customer complaint by E-Mail, the homepage is www. westernunion.de Apart from that you could take your documents to the Westernunion office and ask to speak to the Manager.

is there a regulatory body from central bank or consumer protection?

i am thinking to complain if possible to central bank, because western union is a bank, and it should be under central bank control.

Unfortunately Western Union is not a Bank and it does not follow bank regulations in most countries. Unsure how it works in Germany...

Using Western Union services has its risks. Personally I would never use it, although I understand it can be useful to send money to some countries.

For example Ebay does not accept WU as a medium of payment but accepts Paypal... it is not a safe way to send money.

EDIT: here is an article exposing some flaws of WU services.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/06/business/worldbusiness/06iht-transfer.2133446.html?_r=0

I use WU regularly to send money, and usually it works in minutes online -- I use WUPay, which debits money from my bank account immediately, using the bank's TAN system.

But once I made a mistake. I used the wrong button, one that sends the money in days instead of minutes. I was immediately able to cancel that transaction and send the same amount again using the correct button; I did this by calling customer service. They were very helpful and cancelled it immediately, and confirmed this by email. They told me they'd return the money to the same bank account it was taken off of.

Simple, right? NO! I've never had such a hassle in my life (slight exaggeration there but you know what I mean). I kept calling them when the money was not refunded, and every time they said "Tomorrow!" but tomorrow never came. I took to calling them every day. They put me on a priority list (so they claimed). They promised to take it to a higher level. But nothing.

After about six weeks they silently returned the money. It was almost €1000 so not peanuts.

Long story short, in my experience it's VERY difficult to get a refund.

I also don't get why you had to give the recipient's birthdate, father's name, etc. As far as I know this info is not required even on the manual forms at the post office? I dont remember this at least. All I give is the recipient's name and country. Then you get a Transactions Number, with which he or she can pick up the money. You should have a transactions number on your receipt -- call them up and try to get it processed using that number.

The simplest way is really online, once you have set up your account. It's also MUCH cheaper. Once I sent €5000 and it would have cost me over €200 in the PO: online, it's under €10.

Y>ou

...All I give is the recipient's name and country. Then you get a Transactions Number, with which he or she can pick up the money. You should have a transactions number on your receipt -- call them up and try to get it processed using that number.

Slightly off topic - a while ago I tried purchasing a car advertised in autotrader. I contacted the seller, who said that he was annoyed with people wasting his time (as he was not in the country where the car was located) and that if I was really interested, I should send the money to a WU office in my name and send him the transaction number as proof. Very shortly afterwards, autotrader contacted me and said they thought the sale was probably fraudulent. On checking some more, I was told that even if the money is sent to my name, WU only requires the transaction number in order to hand over the money.

Maryyya, the above has nothing to do with your situation. I wish you luck and hope you get your money back soon.

Rodisi, sellers asking for WU payment is the #1 rule for spotting scams. WU facilitates this kind of crap, that's why I believe they should be banned. There is more than just collecting a fee.

Unfortunately Western Union is not a Bank and it does not follow bank regulations in most countries. Unsure how it works in Germany...

It is under control of BaFin (who didn't allow Webmoney in Germany, for example).

to OP: in Germany telephone conversations do not count, everything should be done in written form. First, write them e-mail, then registered letter. You'll need a lawyer if they don't help you. You can file a complaint to BaFin, but this should be done only after you get written refusal from them.

Fed up with Western Union.

Three times now I've had the same problem... I've used WU so often and then suddenly, last week ... it tells me something about my details not corresponsing to my bank account.

Though I had used that account before. OK, it was my husband's so I tried again and used my own.

That too was rejected -- mind you, after taking the money off my account, making me call them, and then wait two hours.

This week I tried again and same problem.

This is the mail they sent me:

Wir haben Ihren Geldtransfersauftrag erhalten, leider sind wir aber derzeit nicht in der Lage diesen durchzuführen. Ihr Transfer mit der Nummer ************* wurde storniert, weil der Name Ihres Western Union Profils und der Name der von Ihnen angegebenen Bankverbindung nicht übereinstimmen. Falls der Betrag inzwischen bereits von Ihrem Konto abgebucht wurde wird er Ihnen innerhalb von 3-5 Geschäftstagen refundiert.

Bitte aktualisieren Sie Ihr Western Union Profil dahingehend, dass dessen Name mit dem Namen Ihrer Bankverbindung übereinstimmt. Alternativ können Sie Geld versenden indem Sie Kreditkartenzahlung wählen oder eine Western Union Standort aufsuchen.

Wir entschuldigen uns für die Unannehmlichkeiten,

There is no option on the profile to change bank accounts or whatever. And anyway, it always used to work.

Anyway, no more WU for me. Moved to Moneygram.