Costs of life in Aachen

16 posts in this topic

Hello

I`ve some research but most similar threads are a bit old so sorry for asking this again

We are a family of two. I have the option to work in aachen (phd engineer).

I haven`t negotiated the salary yet but i think i`ll get a starting offer around 4000e/month gross

By rough estimations this ends up to 2200 net. Are there any extras that companies offer? like supermarket coupons or transportation pass etc?? of course it depends upon the company but just to have an idea ...

I guess it`s fair offer but i`d like to get as much as possible but at the same time don`t want to look greedy by asking for an unrealistic salary.

i`ve read posts saying that 4member family live with 1600e net and other that 2000e are nearly enough for family of 2. Again depends upon you lifestyle but that`s the average? I want to be able to pay my bills, have a decent apartment and go to a restaurant once a while or do daytrips a couple of weekends

Thanks in advance

Some things to consider when you negotiate: will you have a living stipend from the company? Will they cover moving costs?

You also said you are a family of two, so I'd make sure that your spouse/partner/child also have some level of support, for example, an education stipend (I have one through my husband's company for any type education courses I want, but I'm using it for language courses).

Do you have an apartment yet? Or is that a factor driving your questions?

I can't comment directly on Aachen, but 2200€ netto is probably enough to cover your costs, but it may be a little difficult for saving a lot of money in the long term.

Thanks for the answer

So far i don`t much about the company`s salary/benefits policies

The 4000 gross an guess (pretty educated though) and i know there is some kind of productivity bonus.

So far we are in very primitive stage so accommodation hasn`t been considered yet. My first priority is to secure that my salary will be enough to have an acceptable life (at least until the wife gets a job also)

How many years experience do you have? The offer seems a little low for someone with a PhD in engineering. Recent engineering grads earn approximately 44k gross/year.

it seems like my initial search was way off!!! somewhere around 3.500 gross!!!

my only expirience comes from the projects i took part as a phd student

lets take the worst case scenario.. zero experience.

3500€/month gross is little below the average for a recent grad with a Master's degree in engineering.

Is the position related your degree?

I dont agree that 3500 gross is low for a recent graduate . It depents ofcourse on your special skills, but if you dont have any real work applicable abilities I think that 3500 brutto is a really good first salary. Considering that for the first 6 months , you will need training and you wont be able to produce any real work.In my eyes and with friends that i have talked to, 40k is a really good salary to get for first job ( with a Master Degree always) , but even lower like 35k is usual. Most of my friends started with 30k, but after 6 months they got a generous raise to 35k, and in their second job went to 40k , 45k area when you have the skills to justify those money.

Btw i am speaking for English speaking jobs, I would expect salary for German speaking jobs to be higher because of far higher demand and far less supply than of the English speaking jobs.

2000 netto is fine for a city like Aachen, it depents ofcourse on the rent you'll be paying. But if 2000 is enought for Cologne with a warm rent of about 750, 2000 should be more than enought for Aachen.

thanks papakaliatis (xristofore esu??? :lol: )

but we are talking about phd graduate.

when yous say 750e rent it includes the bills too?

@ engelchen yes the job suits perfectly not only to my degree but to my phd thesis too

Hello my friend :P

I was in the same situation as you 4 months ago when we moved to Aachen.

I have a salary same as yours so I can give you a very good estimation I think.

Our living costs in Aachen including commuting each day 100 km to work are:

-550 warmmiete apartment in Haaren, 2 bedroom 44 sq meters, furnished apartment from Home Company Aachen, recomment them for the short term, I am sure you can get a normal apartment for the same money, but bigger of course and unfurnished, so you'll have to spend some money to furnish it. (from ebay you can get furniture or kitchen for 1euro and rent some Mini Bus to transport it, or IKEA Heerlen if you want somethin new)

-about 150 euro costs with gas for commuting (depens if you commute or not)

-about 350 euro for other costs, mainly food from supermarket or eating in the town

So for Aachen my conclusion is that with 1000 euro per month 2 people can live confortably, including a car and not getting too tight with expensens. So you will be able to put 1200 aside every month. Of course if you get an unfurnished apartment, then you will have to invest additionaly in order to furnish, how much depends on you, we have a furnished apartment so didn't have to care about this.

Even on this forum you can find some really cheap and good kitchen, sofas, etc.

Hope that my answer is helpful to you. Aachen is a nice area to live in, especially if you get an apartment into a house with parking place. I have to park on the street and sometimes is a little annoying as I have to park like 500 m away from the block.

1000 per month including rent??? by your reply i guess you are single right?

I dont agree that 3500 gross is low for a recent graduate .

It depends on the major. The median salary for recent engineering grads in Germany is 43,600€, the lower quartile is 37,900€, and the top quartile is almost 50k. A Dr-Ing. working in his field should be able to command a higher price.

Most of my friends started with 30k, but after 6 months they got a generous raise to 35k, and in their second job went to 40k , 45k area when you have the skills to justify those money.

Are you talking about Germany or Greece? I personally don't know any engineering grads who would be happy with a salary of 30k in Germany. According to data from Staufenbiel, only 25% of recent engineering grads earn less than 37,900€, making 30k extremely low. On the other hand, there is nothing to stop EU-25 citizens from working for dumping wages.

So for Aachen my conclusion is that with 1000 euro per month 2 people can live confortably, including a car and not getting too tight with expensens. So you will be able to put 1200 aside every month.

There are many people who would disagree with you, including all the people who think that welfare benefits are too low. To put it into perspective welfare benefits for a couple in Germany would be about 700€ + rent.

Although I'm willing to believe that you manage it, I don't think that it is a realistic long-term budget for most people.

Hello my friend

I was in the same situation as you 4 months ago when we moved to Aachen.

I have a salary same as yours so I can give you a very good estimation I think.

Our living costs in Aachen including commuting each day 100 km to work are:

-550 warmmiete apartment in Haaren, 2 bedroom 44 sq meters, furnished apartment from Home Company Aachen, recomment them for the short term, I am sure you can get a normal apartment for the same money, but bigger of course and unfurnished, so you'll have to spend some money to furnish it. (from ebay you can get furniture or kitchen for 1euro and rent some Mini Bus to transport it, or IKEA Heerlen if you want somethin new)

-about 150 euro costs with gas for commuting (depens if you commute or not)

-about 350 euro for other costs, mainly food from supermarket or eating in the town

So for Aachen my conclusion is that with 1000 euro per month 2 people can live confortably, including a car and not getting too tight with expensens. So you will be able to put 1200 aside every month. Of course if you get an unfurnished apartment, then you will have to invest additionaly in order to furnish, how much depends on you, we have a furnished apartment so didn't have to care about this.

Even on this forum you can find some really cheap and good kitchen, sofas, etc.

Hope that my answer is helpful to you. Aachen is a nice area to live in, especially if you get an apartment into a house with parking place. I have to park on the street and sometimes is a little annoying as I have to park like 500 m away from the block.

1000 euros a month for all expenses for two people just isn't realistic. I'd agree that they're fine with 2200 euros a month, but I wouldn't budget 1K for 2 people, especially with a car.

Well this is what we spent here the last 4 months.

Maybe you refer to some different life style.

I recognize that I dont go every day to drink 2 beers at the restaurant,

I prefer to drink them at home.

It's the reality for us, for the car we pay 150 euro in diesel, and related to food

costs, half of the week we prepare our own and half we eat at some restaurant

with about 10 euro per person.

I am really curios what these welfare benefits mean, maybe I should ask for them.

If 1000 euro is too little for 2 people , I challenge you to live with 800 euro salary

for 2 people in Eastern Europe, well prices are similar to Germany.

I guess it depends on the standard of welfare that you have.

Given that I support three other people with my salary I think it's useless to compare my situation with yours. I could survive on 800 euros by myself in Aachen (without a car), but it wouldn't be enjoyable. I would feel much more confident about being able to do it in Romania or Bulgaria.

I have a hard time believing that the cost of living in Romania is equivalent to that in Germany but the next time I talk to a Romanian who is familiar with both countries, I'll ask.

The figures you cited add up to 1050 euros, not 1000. I don't think your food budget is realistic if you're eating out a bunch a 10 euros a person, given that a 350 euro monthly food budget means less than 12 euros a day for food for the two of you. I suppose you can find someone to let you take away some old furniture that they just want to get rid of, but I wouldn't budget 1 euro for most pieces of furniture, though.

It should also be said that there are greater costs to operating a car than merely the fuel, plus who's paying for your Internet connection and your GEZ fees? Don't you brush your teeth, take a shower, etc.? What about things that the Kasse doesn't pay for if you get sick (they don't pay for everything).What about clothes? Mobile phone fees? Not only do your numbers not add up, you've apparently forgotten about some other expenses.

Lol man u just don't want to understand that this is my reality, I'm not just saying.

Whatever, I just wanted to help the guy asking what the costs are.

I know which was my financial intake last months and I know what money I have now, so I can tell that me and my girlfriend live confortably with 1000 euro a month.

We don't like to buy designer clothes and stuff like that, my car needed only diesel until now and some 50 euro repair.

Oh and with this money I also bought ADAC, 3rd party insurance etc.

I have also medical insurance, but I was not sick so didn't have to pay any additional money.

And we also visited Belgium, Holland, Munich, Maastrich, Nurburgring etc. so not just staying at home.

You would be amazed what furniture you can find on ebay or kleinanzeigen for 1 euro, or under 100 euro. You just have to look, have a big car in order to not pay for transport or rent some Bus.

Even here on this forum I saw some adverts with some full kitchens for a tenth of the price.

Can't believe I wrote this 7 years ago!

First months in Aachen what a time was that!

Last year I returned to Aachen, now I can do some update about living in a huge 3 room apartment, also 2 cars to care for and higher costs for electricity, rent, gas, internet.

Total is now around 2k euro, I am amazed a little where the difference is, of rent is 800 versus 550 so 250 difference, probably has and current is a little more expensive but food stays at 350 euro still ...

Oh yes now I get it, the health insurance is killing me, 800+ euro a month but I get half of that from my employer.