A single tear for the Makler: Provision in the crosshairs

306 posts in this topic

In reference to comments about the role a makler plays. In the real estate market there are 3 different people involved

Estate Agent/Real Estate Agent: they sell properties. Letting Agent/ Property Manager Property Management Services. This can range from just finding a tenant to managing the tenancy. Condominium Management Services: I have no idea what the British term for this is but this is the firm that manages the condominium corporation.  A large tower in a major city can have a budget in the millions of dollars. They have nothing to do with the landlord tenant relationship.

In Germany it is slightly different. A Makle r issomeone who sells properties and find tenants. Once the lease is signed they has no further involvement. Hausverwaltung: this is the company that manages the building.  Most interesting difference is the monthly fees you pay often include utilities. Germans don’t have property managers (expect perhaps for furnished rentals) as they aren’t needed here. The way you rent is very different. First off Germans don’t move near as often as Americans do and secondly, when you rent out a place you’re literally just renting the 4 walls. While this is changing, in general the tenant is responsible for decorating and furnishing the whole place. Found this online.

“When we moved into our first unfurnished flat I thought the previous tenants had vandalised it. No wallpaper, no sockets, no light fittings or kitchen. But seemingly this is normal so prepare yourself. By unfurnished they mean rent a space, roof, 4 walls and a floor are included”

When it’s your money that is paying for all of this you’ll be damm sure to take care of it. Oh and course you’ve got to return in perfect condition or risk losing your deposit.

19 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

While this is changing, in general the tenant is responsible for decorating and furnishing the whole place. Found this online.

Definitely changing. We've looked at probably 30 or more places in the last 6 months and nearly every one comes with a kitchen now (including devices). Many are also including other things like fitted wardrobes etc. Definitely getting better.

Dealing with Maklers now as a tenant is also a very different experience. It's almost funny watching them trying to be "nice" now after so many years of being an arsehole. Even in Munich where demand is ridiculous, now that the landlord is paying, clearly they are making the Maklers step up their game.

I know the Makler subject has been discussed ad nauseum, and perhaps that is why I cannot find exactly what I am looking for.

When selling a property, what exactly does the Makler do?  I understand that much of the legal requirements are carried out by the Notar, but what about the Makler?

1)  Appraising a property.  This is useful, since there do not seem to be any publicly accessible databases in Germany that list cumulative selling prices, and property tax information is not publicly available.

2) Advertising a property.  The main websites can be used by anyone willing to pay their fees, so not so much necessary to have a Makler.

3) Showing a property and pre-screening potential buyers.  Time saving for the owners I suppose, but not an irreplaceable job.

4) Negotiating on the price- now this is problematic, because the Makler is theoretically representing both the buyer and seller, which is totally illogical.

5)????

6)???

What other services is a Makler providing?

@Returning All the Makler does is sell the property: show it to potential buyers and lie as much as possible to both potential buyers (to get it sold at the best price) and the seller (in order to secure he doesn't get fired).

1. They don't appraise in my experience.

2. They do advertise, which makes it more convenient for the seller.

3. They do show the property but they don't do any buyer screening. Screening might happen for multi-million properties, but in my experience, there's zero screening for regular residential real estate.

4. Not sure about negotiating. The Makler will try to get the highest price possible because his or her commission is based on a percentage of the price, but it's up to the seller to allow any wiggle-room or not in the price. I don't follow your suggesting that there's a conflict of interest in that Maklers are "representing the buyer and the seller"; they work for the seller.

5. A Makler might be able to suggest builders for renovation if the property needs them, but one must exercise caution when following their advice because they'll lie through their teeth to get the contract signed. Never trust what they tell you.

In my opinion, realtors just take some of the work off the shoulders of the seller, but it's not really worth it. 

1 minute ago, Smaug said:

@Returning All the Makler does is sell the property: show it to potential buyers and lie as much as possible to both potential buyers (to get it sold at the best price) and the seller (in order to secure he doesn't get fired).

1. They don't appraise in my experience.

How does a property get appraised then?  The current listings on immobilienscout, for instance, are not comprehensive, and don't show the selling price.  You can get average price per square meter, but how do you customize for age?  Quality?  Specific location?  Health of the HOA?  How do sellers set their selling price?  For example, if we want to make our landlord an offer to buy our condo, where could we get a one-off appraisal without hiring a Makler for the entire job?

5 hours ago, Returning said:

How does a property get appraised then? 

By hiring an assessor. Architects, civil engineers, banks, surveyors and also Maklers offer this as a service.