Permanent residence permit (Blue Card)

451 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Eddie SA said:

Hi

Me and my wife havenow been living in Munich for 24 months. My wife automatically qualified for the EU Blue Card, because I was given one for my work contract. I know that I currently qualify for the PR as I have B1 German.

What I would like to know is this, if I apply for my PR would my wife also qualify for the PR even if she does not have B1 German or any other German qualification. Or should she wait until she has been here for 33 months?

Follow-up question, could I apply for a PR while my wife still stays on the Blue Card? The reason this bothers me is because the Blue Card is linked to my work position and if I have a PR instead of a Blue Card doesn’t that mean that it won’t be valid for my wife anymore?

I would like to get a PR asap, but if it is easier to wait until after the 33 months date then I would be prepared to do that.

Any advice would be appreciated….

I guess what you really meant is: you have a working contract which entitles you to a blue card and your wife received a resident permit because she is the wife of a blue  card holder. If you apply and get a PR, this will not affect the validity of your wife's current resident permit(In confirmed this with the officials in Hamburg today). 

So long as you meet all the requirement of applying for a PR, you can apply for it. 21 months or 33 months does not make your application easier or harder. Since you have already passed the B1, you should have no problem at all to get the PR and thus, you should apply for it ASAP!!! 

Thank you TurMech and brucezhou. It was not answers I was expecting :-)

I was 100% convinced my wife also had a Blue Card because I had one, so I had to check our Visa's again. Our original 3 months Visa stated for both of us that it was a Blue Card, but once it was extended in Germany for another 4 years it is only my Visa that states Blue Card. So I had my facts wrong. 

This changes my situation and I will go forward with my PR application as it will have no effect on my wife's residence permit. Thanks again for the feedback.

Hi everybody,

I have a thought question that hopely somebody has the answer.

I landed to Germany 3 months ago in blue card situation as ....manager. I will get my blue card on the middle of January approximately. 

My company is the international construction company and They have intention to assign me to the one of their project in Poland or Hungary. I am non European citizen. 

My question is that if I go to Poland or Hungary with work permit and come back to Germany and continue my work after 1 year. What kind of situation I am going to be face. My contract is 2 years and based on blue card. My company is telling that my all health insurance,pensions,tax what ever will continue to pay in same situation with fill a A1 certificate.

I also know that, I should not stay in outside of Germany more than 6 months if it is not wrong so if I go to Poland or Hungary  for 5 months (My germany rental home will sustain) and 1 months in proceed my work in Germany office. End of the 2 year (expiring of blue card) what kind of situation should I expect.?

BR

Hi Everyone, 

Reading through all the posts and knowing it'll take long to get an settlement permanent appointment, I'd like book one now if possible. My question is, do I need to send in all the documents before getting an appointment, or can I book ahead? Can someone please provide the link or e-mail for booking the appointment? 

My situation, Blue Card holder, valid until April 2020, not planning to extend the contract with my current employer so I'll lose the blue card status. My aim is to pass B1 German before that so I can apply for PR, and I'll most likely take some courses after contract ends with Youth Mobility Visa (YMV).

If I lose Blue Card status, the previous 2 years still count to be eligible to apply for PR, is that correct? Will I still be receiving unemployment pay while I'm taking courses with YMV? 

Is there anyone having *both* Blue Card and NE issued and active in the same time? In Munich-city in ABH they told me, that when they issue me the NE, they will void my Blue Card no matter what.

However I'd prefer to keep both since they give different advantages (Blue Card stays valid for 1 year after leaving EU and still working while NE voids after 6 months; different conditions for reunion with the spouse such as language requirements and so on). Does someone have an experience in keeping both in Munich-city?

35 minutes ago, lega4 said:

Is there anyone having *both* Blue Card and NE issued and active in the same time?

It's impossible – both NE and Blue Card are two types of a residence permit. One can only have one resident permit, not two or more.

10 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

It's impossible – both NE and Blue Card are two types of a residence permit. One can only have one resident permit, not two or more.

That's what they say, but I see no legal reasons for that. And I think there were several people having both (and just fyi, there are for sure people having both NE and DA-EU). While I'm still working as high-qualified engineer with salary more than Blue Card limit, I believe I'm still entitled to having Blue Card regardless of my other visas\permits\whatever.

10 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

One can only have one resident permit, not two or more.

Why is that? Any proofs?

1 hour ago, lega4 said:

(Blue Card stays valid for 1 year after leaving EU and still working while NE voids after 6 months; different conditions for reunion with the spouse such as language requirements and so on).

as far as I know your NE "absorbs" the benefits of the bluecard when it's issued, but since an NE is a step up as a permanent residence permit, you give up the bluecard in the process. I know a couple of people who got the NE after holding a blue card and they enjoyed all the advantages you cite.  It's not like your former bluecard status is lost.

yes they do theoretically issue NE's and DA-EU permits at the same time, but when I went to KVR to get both, they were REALLY adamant that it was completely pointless to have both and they weren't keen on doing it, though they said they would if I absolutely insisted.  I didn't care to argue so just took the DA-EU.

On 11/24/2019, 3:55:19, pptk703 said:
Hi Everyone, 

Reading through all the posts and knowing it'll take long to get an settlement permanent appointment, I'd like book one now if possible. My question is, do I need to send in all the documents before getting an appointment, or can I book ahead? Can someone please provide the link or e-mail for booking the appointment? 

My situation, Blue Card holder, valid until April 2020, not planning to extend the contract with my current employer so I'll lose the blue card status. My aim is to pass B1 German before that so I can apply for PR, and I'll most likely take some courses after contract ends with Youth Mobility Visa (YMV).

If I lose Blue Card status, the previous 2 years still count to be eligible to apply for PR, is that correct? Will I still be receiving unemployment pay while I'm taking courses with YMV? 

Hi,

I emailed the KVR office and after a few weeks they responded to me saying appt only through the website.

You can make an online appt for the visa here (after a few questions)  https://www.muenchen.de/dienstleistungsfinder/muenchen/1080805/n0/#p-1

However, there seem to be no open dates for the next several months. I have checked several times each day for a week or so now and none seem to open up. They released March 2020 dates a few days ago but all are showing as not available. Not sure how this is supposed to work. If you have any luck getting an appt please let me know how you did it.

Also, if you are Blue Card Holder and meet a few other criteria, the language requirement is only A1.

9 minutes ago, SteveK19 said:

Also, if you are Blue Card Holder and meet a few other criteria, the language requirement is only A1.

not if you've only been working for 2 years.  

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me , what is the waiting time to get the NE card  after paying the fee & Biometric ? I am waiting since 3 weeks but unfortunately there is not response. Do i need to call / email ?

cool your jets :)  they should have given you an estimate when you completed your application but I've never had a permit arrive for pickup in less than 6 weeks (which is the usual estimate I've been given).  Christmas could slow that down further.  

Hi Guys, I have a question regarding the time frame for my Niederlassungserlaubnis (PR). I started working in Germany (I am in the same job since then until now) in the month of Feb 2018. I have a B1 certificate and just recently completed the 21 months required for PR and would like to apply for a Niederlassungserlaubnis.

However the problem was that there was a mistake in my job contract which did not mention it as an IT job, so I received my Blue card only in the month of Aug 2018 (as i had to get further documentation to prove to the ausländerbehörde that my job is an IT job). From Feb 2018 to Aug 2018, I only had a normal working contract. 

I wanted to know if the 21 months is calculated from the time one receives Blue card or is it from the time one starts working. Thank you!

@NavNat Well, the 21 months rule applies for blue card holder. So I'd assume it only counts the time when you hold the blue card. But just ask the ABH, and share us their answer. 

My status:

- Blue Card holder. Start date 05/28/18 but I actually started working 04/05/18. 

- Have Goethe B1 certificate

- Current contract ending on 4/4/2020 and it will not get extended

Possible senario:  

- My next job probably doesn't meet Blue Card salary expectation, I'll lose Blue Card status but can still work with normal work permit 

My question: 

- Can I still apply for Niederlassungserlaubnis while working with normal work permit ? Since I'll have paid 21 months of pension with Blue Card by the time my contract ends, I assume that I'll be qualified to apply ? 

- What is the processing time for NI and PR respectively in Berlin ? 

Any answer is much appreciated! 

On 11/25/2019, 5:56:54, lisa13 said:

as far as I know your NE "absorbs" the benefits of the bluecard when it's issued, but since an NE is a step up as a permanent residence permit, you give up the bluecard in the process. I know a couple of people who got the NE after holding a blue card and they enjoyed all the advantages you cite.  It's not like your former bluecard status is lost.

yes they do theoretically issue NE's and DA-EU permits at the same time, but when I went to KVR to get both, they were REALLY adamant that it was completely pointless to have both and they weren't keen on doing it, though they said they would if I absolutely insisted.  I didn't care to argue so just took the DA-EU

It matters even for the DA-EU, because with DA-EU which you get as Blue Card holder you can be absent in EU for 24 months while with normal DA-EU it's only 12 months.

So what? You obviously didn't read and/ or grasp what I said at all. Don't quote me for nonsense please.

8 hours ago, lega4 said:

It matters even for the DA-EU, because with DA-EU which you get as Blue Card holder you can be absent in EU for 24 months while with normal DA-EU it's only 12 months.

On 26.11.2019, 15:38:25, SteveK19 said:

Hi,

I emailed the KVR office and after a few weeks they responded to me saying appt only through the website.

You can make an online appt for the visa here (after a few questions)  https://www.muenchen.de/dienstleistungsfinder/muenchen/1080805/n0/#p-1

However, there seem to be no open dates for the next several months. I have checked several times each day for a week or so now and none seem to open up. They released March 2020 dates a few days ago but all are showing as not available. Not sure how this is supposed to work. If you have any luck getting an appt please let me know how you did it.

Go early (1 hour before opening is recommended) and stand in line with all your documents to get an on-the-spot appointment.   It is possible only on Tuesday and Thursday mornings for the EU Blue Card Office (at this moment in time--these can change depending on some cosmic forces...).  It is the way 90% of the people do it as the online system is hopeless.  For more details specific for Munich KVR Blue Card/NE applications refer to this thread: 

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/386437-eu-blue-card-niederlassungserlaubnis-experience-in-munich-kvr/  

Hello! 
I am a Blue Card owner and I want to apply for permanent residence permit.
I have a bunch of questions about the requirements.

At first, I need to make clear the situation.
I entered Germany with temporary 6-month national visa in Septermber 2018 and started working.
The Blue Card appointment was done in advance, but first available date was November 2018. So, issue date of Blue Card is November 2018.
Also, I've changed the job in 2019, and was 18 days unemployed during transition.
At the moment I am also about temporary quitting the job and probably will take some time to pass B1 exam.

So, now the questions.

1. What is a start date of 21 month period - the start date of my first contract or Blue Card issue date ?
2. Should those 21 month be consequtive? I am worrying because I missed almost a month in the middle.
3. Do I have to be currently employed when I apply for permanent residence permit? As I said, ideally I want to quit the job, prepare for B1 exam and apply.
4. After I receive permanent residence permit, can I immediately quit the job or this may cause permanent residence permit cancellation.

Very much thanks for the answers!

6 hours ago, BorisR said:

1. What is a start date of 21 month period - the start date of my first contract or Blue Card issue date ?
2. Should those 21 month be consequtive? I am worrying because I missed almost a month in the middle.
3. Do I have to be currently employed when I apply for permanent residence permit? As I said, ideally I want to quit the job, prepare for B1 exam and apply.
4. After I receive permanent residence permit, can I immediately quit the job or this may cause permanent residence permit cancellation.

Hi Boris, me not being an expert or professional on this field I can tell you that according to my experience:

the start date is the issue date printed on the card/passport sticker

it is 21 since the date printed on the card, doesn't matter you been unemployed for 18 days :)

I would strongly advise you to keep the job while applying. I have seen applications being delayed because people don't have a job...which makes sense since a requirement is the ability to maintain yourself. So keep your job.

after getting the permit you can do whatever you want :)