DESY Open Day 2013

4 posts in this topic

Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY) has an open day on Saturday 2nd November 2013 from midday to midnight.

These open days are very popular (30 years ago or so when I was part of the JADE team I remember manning our control room & talking to the hords of visitors).

Information in German: http://www.desy.de/desytour/index_ger.html

(Click on link near bottom of page to see details - there is a lot on offer).

I'm not in any way involved with DESY or this open day - I ceased to work there (for a UK university) in November 1986. I did meet the girl who became my wife there (she was in the computer center).

I'm going with a bunch of friends, some of the crew work in DESY so we are all really hyped :)

I just realized how teenager-American this sounds :ph34r:

Last time we went must have been about 10 years or so ago (walked around a section of the HERA ring - beware when you emerge hot & thirsty they had a stand selling over-proced Coca-Cola!).

We also took a short tour of the Rechenzentrum. Whilst the group was being assembled in one corner they had examples of 1600 bpi tapes and multi-layer exchange discs lying around. My wife was looking at these when one of the computer center guys came up & said "we used to have these here in the 70s & 80s". My wife responded - "yes - I worked with these for several years when I was employed here (in R1)!".

EDIT: I won't be able to go this time as I have to be in Hagen for the German National Gliding Conference that takes place Friday / Saturday..