Heavy snow fall in Munich - weekend 4/5.Mar.2006

150 posts in this topic

post-16-1141629374.jpg
This weekend saw Munich's heaviest snowfall of the winter. In fact, it was the heaviest fall for a number of years. In some places up to 90cm fell during one 12 hour period. Parked cars were completely buried. On Saturday evening all of the MVV's above-ground public transport was shut down. S-Bahn problems continue. The kids at the Munich International School have Monday off because of transport difficulties. For lots more photos from around Munich...

Photo by SleeplessInMunich

The weather forecast is for light snow falls and sub-zero temperatures through Tuesday. From Wednesday temperatures will rise and it'll rain.

The posts below were made starting from Saturday evening as the heaviest snow began falling...

Will it ever stop snowing again or are we to prepare for the next ice age? :(

Last night, Friday the 3rd, an emergency helicopter from Groshaden (sp?) had to land at Theresienwiese due to the bad weather conditions and was stuck there all day today as well because they weren't able to fly. I took my son down and had a chat with the pilot earlier on.

On a serious note, we have just had a close call when a branch about 3m/9'9" has just snapped off a tree in our back garden and fell a good 15m/50'. God knows how much it weighs but if anyone had been under it, or my precious Golf GTi, they would have been a gonner!!!

We heard a thump outside and thought my youngest had jumped out of the window after losing on the Playstation or something and almost soiled my smalls when I saw it!!!

The children wont be playing under any trees tomorrow.

Jimi-in-Toytown :unsure:

Yeah the trees are weeping here too a bit. The cars are almost buried (OK, I lie) and you cant see the road or the tram tracks (prolly cos they have all been cancelled)...

post-945-1141510254_thumb.jpg

Not everybody is reading TT from Munich...

exactly. Thanks for posting the pics SIM - its nice to see what its like at home - I cant wait to get back to all the snow!! :)

Ps your Grosshadern spelling was nearly right by the way ;)

View on Wurmtalstr. Großhadern 10 minutes ago:

Snow 1 - Schnauzer 0

The dog came inside from her walk weighing just a tad more than when she started...and of course we opted to take snapshots instead of cleaning her off. :D

post-16-1141583350.jpg

Just got home as I live in westbubblefuck and I had to count the houses to find mine. Mind you that’s after quite a few beers. :)

real problem at the airport today actually. Many flights were cancelled and hapag loyd went off the end of the runway. I don't know if they did it on landing or take off, but they deffinately went off. leaving work myself and a friend heard the varig flight trying to start it's engines which was definately not happening. Mind you this was a seven or eight o'clock flight (schedualed for) that was just trying to take off.

So, Here's the 1st of I'm sure many canceled flights for today..

LH 3860 Rom (Fiumicino) 0930 T2 A319 canceled

Shit, I have to fly back today. I hope I can land tomorrow morning.