Swearing at people and insulting them is illegal

127 posts in this topic

I'm flattered that you think I'm a "lawyer person", but I'm not - just someone who has been in Germany almost 30 years.

Are you licensed to practice law in Germany? Because your assertion - that "fuck you" is not an insult - is certainly untrue according to the jurisprudence. Since this forum is a place where people often come to seek help when confronted by similar situations, it's not surprising that your unfounded assertion generated some blowback.

You then changed the definition of the contentious statement to "fuck off" - which an unkind person might call "moving the goalposts", but that's beside the point - which is actually a more nuanced situation. The German equivalent, "verpiss dich", is generally considered to be merely rude, but not an insult, unless combined with other derogatory words. So you are correct in that regard.

Thanks for the Friday thread!

The were two court cases, one was about wearing ACAB T-shirt at the demo. the other one was about T-Shirt saying FCK CPS.

Basically, both can be perceived as insult by police officers, but the courts decided differently: one case guilty, the other one not guilty. Because you can't say for sure without taking the whole situation into account.

A trained lawyer has to come on to TT to throw ideas out into the wind rather than thrashing it out with a colleague or three?? ;) Guess they are all too busy billing...

On 03/03/2006, 16:53:26, Nishain said:

Thanks goodness germans usually have a relaxed approach if someone loses himself. In US it even might had ended in serious problems because using such wording towards a woman might end up in beeing sued for sexual harrasment

Nonsense.

The first amendment protects free speech.

Only threats are not allowed.

Don't perpetuate rubbish.

I admire America specifically because of their constitution . Which will will in any attempted prosecution

Dude, that post you just answered is 15 (fifteen) years old. :D

According to the profile, Nishain hasn't been on TT for nearly 18 months. I don't think an answer will be coming.