Moving to Frankfurt and my situation is unique

157 posts in this topic

Just a remark: I'm rather surprised that your employer isn't providing you with most of this information. I have no idea what kind of company you work for, but anyone who routinely sends people to Germany "on assignment" should be able to tell their employees what boxes to tick. Also, I don't understand the question about the "best pay package". The best one is the largest, I would reckon. It depends on whether your wife will be contributing, which in turn affects your tax bracket. You'll probably want at least 3000 Euros after tax for a family of three. But as ever, YMMV.

Hi Kapil,

I am not from Frankfurt but have been living in Germany (Dusseldorf) since 2009 and can answer some of the questions assuming that the rules are same between states.

1. No, your wife will not get a dependent work permit (WP) by default as she would have filed her visa under family re-union. she can get a WP only after living here for 3 years to start searching a job. But if some company offers her a job, she can take that job contract to local office and they can give her a WP, as when my wife was doing her job trials, she checked in the local office to get a WP but they asked her to get a confirmed job contract which she was not able to as the employers were telling her to get a WP to offer a Job contract. only possible solution is that some consultancy can sponsor her a WP.

2. Also as I am not sure about the rental prices for Frankfurt but assuming they are as high as Dusseldorf(someone can correct me), 3000 euro net income would be a baseline to survive with some amount to save if your company is giving a good private insurance package with less cost. (you will also get kindergeld back (pocket money for kids as I understood) for your kid which is around 184 euros)

3. If you are on deputation to Germany, no, you are not entitled for Social Security benefits. if you are on a FTC (fixed term contract), then you are eligible for SS benefits

Hope I was able to answer your queries but keep in mind that living costs in Frankfurt might be slightly different.

also I am hoping that your company will reimburse you the rental brokerage or help you to search a house as this initial costs are very high (you might need an advance of 4500 to 5000 euros when you land to settle down)

Thanks Chowdarygm for your inputs...this will definitely help.

So what I understand from your answer to point no - 1 ... it's not easy to get a Job contract/WP...if unlucky then we can be running around in a loop of Job Contract and WP.

How much weight age is given to the language skills? Are there sufficient English speaking jobs as well that can be explored?

Thanks Chowdarygm for your inputs...this will definitely help.

So what I understand from your answer to point no - 1 ... it's not easy to get a Job contract/WP...if unlucky then we can be running around in a loop of Job Contract and WP.

How much weight age is given to the language skills? Are there sufficient English speaking jobs as well that can be explored?

​Yes, Language plays a very important role, its quite hard to find a job in Germany which needs only English but not impossible, so give it a try and see. 

Hello,

I've been asked to consider a short assignment for 6 months in Frankfurt which may extend to 1 year. I'll be moving from India to Germany along with my working wife and daughter of 4 years of age. I've been to Stockholm & Vienna but Frankfurt is a new location for me and I don't know much about it. So I thought of seeking some advice before I say a "Yes".

1)I'll be granted a German work Permit. Will my wife also get a dependent work permit by default? Will she be eligible to work in Frankfurt? If not then what's the best way to achieve that?

2)In case my Wife is not able to get a job in Frankfurt for sometime then what should be the BEST PAY PACKAGE (before & after tax) to rent out an apartment (2-3 rooms), support a family of 3 and do some savings for emergency?

3)Does my work permit entitle me for Social Security Benefits? If yes then do I need to apply for some number/card once I am there?

I've few more generic questions to bug you all but maybe I'll get the hidden answers from the response to above ones.

Thanks to all in advance.

Kapil

​Social security benefits? Well, I think you´ll get Kindergeld (child benefit ) but that´s it. What you will also need to ask your company for help with is getting publicly health insured. That would cost about 8.3%-8.5% of your gross salary ie before tax. You will also have to pay into the German unemployement insurance and State pension plan. I´m assuming you will be an employee and not being relocated???

If you get into public health insurance, your wife and child will be co-insured with you at no extra cost --assuming your wife doesn´t have any worldwide income over 405 euros a month..be careful if she continues to earn in India from Germany...strictly speaking, that would mean she would have to pay for her own healh insurance...

why do you want to move your whole family for a 6 months contract? just my 2 cents :) 

I would let her work and live in India and I'd move in a small 1 room flat and save as much as possible, then go back. 

OOps- new layout- did not mean to red "Involved"-sorry. Neurons faulty. I thought there are some valid points- especially why OP not asking his employer in India ( am presuming here)  all these points.    6 months seems  so short.

Hi guys, 

I am moving to Frankfurt in August, and I've been reading a few forums and talked with a lot of friends that moved to Germany, so I know a few stuff, but also there are some things that I would like to now.

I will be getting 65 000 gross + bonuses, and for the first year they told me it will be around 5000 more gross, so let's say 70 000 total (although in my head, I only count on those 65 000). I will be renting a 40-60 square meter flat, since I am single (30 years old) and maybe sometimes my mom/sister will visit me, so I don't need anything big. Work is based in Nordend, in centre, I really don't need to be really close, but more like to be on a U-Bahn line that's easily connected. My questions are the following:

1) It seems it's so really hard to get a flat on immobilienscout24. For me, it seems that the demand is way over supply, and that when I start to actively search in June/July, I will have to be quick and to dial phones all the time. Will it be any easier than, since it's summer, and I hope that students will be back at home, and not back by until August, I reckon?

2) Living in Offenbach or somewhere other not so close to the city. Can you compare it to Nordend, Bockenheim, Bornheim, Sachenhausen? Also, feel free to suggest me some other parts of the town that are nice for living (not ghetto :)) I am looking for a fully furnished flat, and I have in my mind not to pay over 850 for the place, I think more than that is a waste of money comparing that I will be at work from let's say 8:30 to 18h (with commute time) and probably for most of the working days I will be in the city centre after work hanging out or learning language. What do I seek in my potential flat ? Close to the shops, not so crowded environment, good U-Bahn connection, close to the gyms, and that it's not furnished in a way that entire furniture feels like it costs 5 euros :) I would go to 900 probably, if I really like the place, but I would also pay 750 for something a little distant if the place is OK, so the budget can be streched :)

3) Is http://www.parmentier.de/steuer/steuer.htm?wagetax.htm accurate? I've calculated here, on 65 000 without church tax (I am really an atheist, not just to save money) I will be on 3 100 euros net per month, plus company offers a form of private health insurance, which I've also read that I can save up some more money. But, I've read on a few places, that that's not accurate, and that I need to lower that ammount probably for 10% more. Please don't think that I am cheap, but since I don't know if I will like Frankfurt at all, I would prefer to save as maximum as I can in advance, and then just go to some other place (probably in a 2 year's time), so I don't want to spend any more than I actually need, and I don't need some really good insurance since I am 30, young and healthy

4) Language school? Should I go with Goethe institute or something else? In order to get a permanent EU working visa, I need to pass B1 in 24 months, and I would definitely try to do that, so I would like to start learning language right away (plus I will be having a lot of free time). For work, I don't need German at all (god bless IT) but would like to be able to talk something and of course, to pass that certificate and complete my paperwork.

Thanks in advance for all the responses, and I am sorry if I repeated some questions that were already answered here on the forum.

3. You ALWAYS need good health insurance, Rookie!! Even 30 year olds, still young and healthy, can suddenly get a shock diagnosis or have a serious accident. Check what form of private insurance is offered by your company - it might be a group scheme  with special prices or maybe even not require a medical check up. But check it!!! Saving money is all well and good and we all like that but be informed anyway!

No idea about 1, 2 and 4:rolleyes:

1) I'm planning to offer my flat in Nordend for rent in July / August. It's a bit bigger than what you are looking for (70 sqm) and I'll be offering it furnished for about 800 euros. Note the 800 euros excludes utilities (internet, heating, water, Hausgeld (house charges)...). I haven't worked out how much the total will be yet, but I reckon somewhere in the vicinity of 250-300 euros. If you thank that's a lot you should have a look at my gas bill. Energy costs in Germany are very high, and we also have to pay to get our rubbish removed, among other things. Anyway, you are welcome to PM me if you think you might be interested. I can't send you pictures yet though. The flat is being renovated right now and it looks like a mess. I'll furnish the flat in June/July and pictures will be taken then. If you think you might be interested PM me and I'll keep you in the loop.

2) Offenbach is fine. The shops, the restaurants and the cafés are better in Frankfurt and Offenbach tends to be a bit seedier, but some of its neighborhoods are quite nice and convenient. The main problem with OF. is that it's "uncool" and many people will think that you are "uncool" too just because you live there. You could compare the Frankfurt-Offenbach situation to the New York-New Jersey or the London-Croydon ones. Living in Offenbach also adds to your public transport costs. It's around 40% more expensive to get a travel card for Frankfurt and Offenbach than just for Frankfurt.

4) Goethe institut is ridiculously expensive in Germany. Don't do it. The VHS offers much cheaper courses. There are also government-sponsored courses (not free, but cheap) on offer to expats like you. I don't know how the system works though, sorry. They might not be quite as good but you don't need the best language teacher in the universe.

3. You ALWAYS need good health insurance, Rookie!! Even 30 year olds, still young and healthy, can suddenly get a shock diagnosis or have a serious accident. Check what form of private insurance is offered by your company - it might be a group scheme  with special prices or maybe even not require a medical check up. But check it!!! Saving money is all well and good and we all like that but be informed anyway!

No idea about 1, 2 and 4:rolleyes:

​Well, if anything happens of that kind, like really serious, I will go back to my home country. My entire family, parents and grandparents on both sides are MDs (with PHDs, lots of published essays and works and so on), and I would personally feel most safe in the hands of those people :) Don't get me wrong, I know that German medical system is great, but it's just a matter of preference if something major happens (and you said it good, you never know). For all smaller stuff like flu, cold and similar stuff, I know how to take care of myself (my folks even taught me a lot of nurse stuff, like giving injections, perform a CPR and so on), so I really am not afraid of something happening to me that I cannot deal with. 

@Smaug: sure, hit me with PM with details, but I think 1100 euros is a little over me, maybe if I really really like the place a lot :) Didn't know that one about S-Bahn ticket for Offenbach, which means that I am making a save only if I find a place for let's say 200 euros less in Offenbach. 100 euros won't really cut it since the ticket would be probably 30-40 euros expensive + the commute time, it really wouldn't pay off to save 50 euros for nothing. Thanks for the tip!

Anyone knows about 3), is that calculation accurate? Thanks once again!

Again, someone who has no concept of what a serious illness or accident can involve. You may be unconscious, you may require immediate treatment, and not able to fly. Do you have a POA?   The airline may not allow you to fly without medical clearance. I have seen enough problems for patients in  in various countries, when they realise their travel insurance will not cover the cost of treatment. The cost can be very large. We all hope that we do not have to claim on our insurance, but are grateful we have it.

Guys, I will have insurance, I just have an option to go with private and save some money, it's not that I won't have it, it's an option in company with a gross salary over 55k to choose what would you like to do, and I'll collect all the data and see if the save is worth making, relax :)

And trust me, I've been there, I had torn ACL, left knee, was out without regular exercising for 6 months during my basketball years, so I am quite aware that anything can happen.

And please, leave out that medical, and help me with other parts of 1st, 2nd and especially 3rd one about calculating exact gross to net :D

1) It seems it's so really hard to get a flat on immobilienscout24. For me, it seems that the demand is way over supply, and that when I start to actively search in June/July, I will have to be quick and to dial phones all the time. Will it be any easier than, since it's summer, and I hope that students will be back at home, and not back by until August, I reckon?

2) Living in Offenbach or somewhere other not so close to the city. Can you compare it to Nordend, Bockenheim, Bornheim, Sachenhausen? Also, feel free to suggest me some other parts of the town that are nice for living (not ghetto :)) I am looking for a fully furnished flat, and I have in my mind not to pay over 850 for the place, I think more than that is a waste of money comparing that I will be at work from let's say 8:30 to 18h (with commute time) and probably for most of the working days I will be in the city centre after work hanging out or learning language. What do I seek in my potential flat ? Close to the shops, not so crowded environment, good U-Bahn connection, close to the gyms, and that it's not furnished in a way that entire furniture feels like it costs 5 euros :) I would go to 900 probably, if I really like the place, but I would also pay 750 for something a little distant if the place is OK, so the budget can be streched :)

​I managed to find a flat on Immoblienscout24 as a non-German speaker, but I was very detailed around my search and what I was looking for. It took me about a month with 3 alert emails going at once plus the mobile app! I ended up with a pretty decent <800€ warm unfurnished place on the Ostend/Bornheim border, so I'm happy.

If you're looking for a furnished place, might want to go the temp accommodation company route. I used Home Company, but City Residence covers the same territory as well. I ended up in Oberrad which was dead boring, but convenient for work. I thought it was invaluable to have 3 months to figure out which way was up and explore the different neighborhoods so I could then decide where I wanted to be. I have friends and coworkers living in Offenbach and I don't think it deserves the bad rap it gets, but you will get a lot of shade from people living there. I decided against it because the S-Bahn has been crap lately with all the strikes and the nightlife is lacking.

Thanks a lot for your response. I really cannot go for an unfurnished place, I don't know if I will be in Frankfurt after the initial 2 years, and if I decide to move, it will be a big hassle to sell the furniture. Also, I am coming alone, will have a lot to deal with on a new job, and really don't want to search for a place for 3 months, and then spend additional month or two to fill it with stuff and arrange everything.

Thanks for the link for Home Company / City Residence, will definitely use these services if I don't have luck with getting a place during the summer, before I arrive in August. Also, I've almost counted out Offenbach, since I see that the price difference of 100 euros really doesn't justify longer commute and more expensive ticket for S-Bahn. I value 20-40 minutes of shorter commute or being able to walk to work more than saving money, imho.

Guys, I really need your advice! I have a small jewellery workshop which I'll have to move to Frankfurt, since my whole family moves there. I have to idea what are the prerequisites for jewellery business in Germany, so where should I start looking for information? I'd like to know how to start my own company, rent a place for my workshop, get some third-party jewellery services like casting in precious metals..