Moving to Frankfurt and my situation is unique

157 posts in this topic

@the.frollein, @surfsunsand thank you both for the useful information.

@surfsunsand , could you please give more detail on the grade 4 situation for a child in public school system? I know that there is a selection made in grade 4 on what school path will the child follow in the next years.

About half way through Grade 4 a child will receive from his/her teacher a recommendation as to which school stream s/he would be most suited to, in the opinion of the teacher. In Hessen the parent has the last word and if you want to you can still send your child to for e.g. a gymnasium even if they do not have a gymnasium recommendation. If neither of you speak German and are not planning on learning then it will difficult for your child in the German school system. It just makes sense, that if you yourself can't read German or spell it then how are you going to help your child learn to read or spell in German, and that is just the start. Of course you might get a really good school with good support for foreign children and a great well organized teacher and then it will be a lot easier. Or you can opt for a private school. The German school system is not set up for foreigners, it can be very discriminatory and is not designed to include everyone. But is perfectly doable you might just have to put a bit more effort into making it work.

I'm headed to Germany next winter after retiring from my job in the US at the end of the year. I plan to spend March in Frankfurt getting a certificate in teaching english, and another month or two, before and after that moseying around Italy, France and Spain, checking out other options for long-term retirement abodes.

Friends in Germany have made contact with a technical university in Mainz and it appears they are frequently in need of native English speakers for independent contractor/freelance work as a teacher of business english. Apparently, my background in the US would qualify me even before I get the teachers' certificate.

Question is, would such a gig likely be sufficient to get me a work permit and residency visa for at least the duration of the contract? (2 months). I expect to have used up my 90-day tourist visa by the time I would start teaching the class. I won't need the income, just want something to do and a way to extend my stay for a while longer, while I mull whether the expat life is for me.

Thanks

The German school system is not set up for foreigners, it can be very discriminatory and is not designed to include everyone. But is perfectly doable you might just have to put a bit more effort into making it work.

And quite a bit more money for tutoring (forum member emkay recently mentioned that she had to pay 500 euros a month at one point for them).

Melissa- one short-term teaching gig would probably not be enough to get a freelance visa, which is what you will need, nor is it worth the hassle (e.g., don't forget you have to file a US tax return even if you are not resident in the US). You will also run into problems with health insurance.

I live in Bensheim right now but look to move to Frankfurt and get a job there ASAP. I am 21 years old, got a diploma from a private high school and went to college in Atlanta studying Neuroscience for two years. Therefore, I am both fluent in English and German and would love to work in the field tutoring/teaching English or translating documents for companies. I have tutored German offices in Business English before and have other work experiences.

Anyone has suggestions?

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

why would you want to go to the cost and stress of moving from bensheim to ffm in the first place? the db connection between them is excellent. if you really want to live in ffm I´d find the job first, then find the flat to go with it.

Agree with RedWingsRule. I have a colleague who commutes from Bensheim to Eschborn daily. If your search area is Ffm or Rhein-Main, then you are close enough where you are now.

On a pedantic note, the subhead should say "... and I am fluent in EN and DE". The abbreviation GE is for Georgia (Georgien). Of course, if you do speak Georgian, gisurvebt’ tsarmatebas megobars.

hi. i am from surat, gujarat, india. i am a chartered accountant working as a tax consultant with a private firm. i am moving to frankfurt in december. what job option do i have there. apart from learning germany what further courses do i need to pursue to find job in frankfurt. please help.

You don't say what your visa status will be. If you will be able to work in Germany for any employer, set up a XING profile and see how much interest you get. If not, well...it will be very tough.

Regarding specfic work as an accountant, it doesn't seem to me like you have provided enough information about your overall qualifications and experience for anyone to give you any concrete answers, e.g., did you work on international tax issues for a multinational company? Not speaking German or being familiar with German HGB or the business culture here really limits your options.

Thank you for your time. I provide auditing services and tax consultancy to my clients based in Surat. Majority of my clients are in textile and diamond sector. I have only pursued International tax course as of yet and do not really have any working experience. I have already started learning germany. If i learn HGB and SAP will it improve my chances of getting a job? I am moving to frankfurt as my husband is working here. So i have no other option than finding a job in frankfurt. Will my International Tax certificate help? Can i get a job with PWC, KPMG etc.

How long is your family planning to be in Germany?

You'd have to have a very good knowledge of German to be able to work with HGB. SAP is very useful, often required. By all means try speculative applications with the big international accounting firms, but especially given the recognition issues, I think it would be a very tough sell for you, especially without relevant experience (seems to me you'd be limited to audits of companies using IFRS). Make sure your CV mentions that you will have a work permit for Germany (IIRC, it's dependent on what your husband will have).

I'm not sure if it would make financial sense anyway, but can your current position be done remotely?

Is ACA ICAEW recognized in Germany? Since the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India has signed Memorandum with ICAEW, I just need to take 3 tests to get the membership of ICAEW. As per my Knowledge, ACA has good recognition throughout the Europeon Union. I will definately have to learn HGB Rules.

Hi sanjain, without discouraging you in any way, purely from language perspective,wont you require very specific german vocabulary to your field of work? And this would not be taught in a regular german classes even if you go upto C1 level.

So you need to look for some international companies who are open to audits in english.

Hi sanjain,

the good thing is to call these companies you have in mind and speak to the HR about the openings. You can do that once you move there. Alternatively you can send self initiated applications (Initiativ bewerbung) applying for suitable job positiions. In Germany, Such applications are encouraged provided that you are residing in Germany.

Cheers.

If you fly back to visit you Family and you want to park your car, take a look at http://www.parkplatzvergleich.de/flughafen_frankfurt.php. You can choose between valetparking oder shuttleparking at the Airport Frankfurt

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hello,

We will move to Frankfurt area this summer. School is located in Westend and work in Eschborn (but mostly work from home). Wonder which would be good locations for living (rent) where is city life (at least some) and activities for kids, within 15 minutes driving time to school. Also, are realtor/agents used or mostly online tools? Thanks for your help.

Why drive at all? Move to Westend and you will be able to go everywhere on foot or on a bike :)

Both Westend and Nordend are very nice neighbourhoods.

As far as real estate agents go I can recommend Mark Fiedler:

http://www.fiedler-immo.de/index.php?id=7

but you can also look online at immobilienscout24.de.

Personally, I would avoid Eschborn (also called Eschkatraz ;)) because there is nothing there but some office buildings and an S-Bahn station.

Good luck!