Moving to Frankfurt and my situation is unique

157 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm Greek and I'm interested in moving to Germany, but don't speak German. I have a retail experience.

Does anyone have any tips of where I could find a job? I know that is not easy without speaking german, but I have to try!

Thanks in advance!

Elias

Welcome to Toytown, elias24! Well, you speak English and Greek...that´s a start. I reckon you need to network with Greeks in Germany - maybe Greek restaurants, importers/exporters. You may find googling those areas a start.

It´s difficult otherwise without German qualifications. There´s many an expat here who´s qualified in this and that in their home country but their qualifications may not necessarily be accepted here.

Good luck to you!

Childcare options are less of a problem that you might think in Frankfurt at least you get help from the Stadtschulamt and pay €100 to €200 per month for up to 55 hours care a week. There are limitations - for instance it might be hard to convince them your 3 year old should be covered and there may not be a Tagesmutter with a space that fits yours but it is worth trying. Feel free to PM me!

Thank you john g. and chartreuse for your quick replies.Thank you for the ideas and information you gave me. I know that it won't be easy, but as I said, I have to try. I am willing to do anything. So if anything come up,ideas or something please let me know. it will be much appreciated. :-)

Have a good day!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi everyone,

I am so happy that I found this group! Thank you for allowing me to be a part of it.

Currently, I live in Denmark with my girlfriend. She has just been offered a job in Frankfurt starting 1st of May why we are a little stressed out now :) We would like to move to Frankfurt together, why we have to find an apartment and a job for me.

I hope there are some kind souls here who can help us find an apartment and a job - or at least help us to look in the right places :)

Apartment:

Price ca.1000e/month

Min. 70 m2

Job:

I work as a sales manager for a large insurance company as a sales manager with management responsibilities. Otherwise, I am educated in Marketing.

If desired I can forward my CV.

In advance thank you for your help and both my girlfriend and I are looking very much forward for our new adventure in Frankfurt :) !

Kind regards,

You migth want to read Advice on apartment rental in Berlin to understand how the rental market works (it is about Berlin, however, you'll face many of the same issues in Frankfurt). Can your girlfriend's new employer help you out? Are they providing relocation assistance?

I work as a sales manager for a large insurance company as a sales manager with management responsibilities. Otherwise, I am educated in Marketing.

How well do you speak German?

I looked at the thread but the different links regards more to Berlin than Frankfurt.

The CEO of my girlfriend's company has promised to help but we can not be depended on him entirely.

Welcome to TT, and congrats on the GF's new job! :)

If you haven't yet, please read this TT Wiki page on renting accommodation in Germany. It will give you a heads-up on what to watch out for, tips on where to look for accommodation adverts, and vocabulary help to understand German ads. Using the links to online sites will help give you a feel for the price range in that area. Then there's also a Frankfurt-specific thread on searching for a place to live: Finding an apartment in Frankfurt

Your best bet is to arrange temporary acccommodation for the short-term, and look for a permanent place once you get here. Most landlords will expect to meet you personally before deciding whether to rent to you, and you really shouldn't agree to rent something sight unseen, as there are all kinds of pitfalls involved in that. Your best bet is finding something here on TT or on wg-gesucht.de, otherwise, search for Wohnen auf Zeit (temporary accommodation) or Ferienwohnung (holiday let). Those will give you a short-term furnished rental, and give you time to find something more permanent.

Btw, beware of scammers operating on accommodation sites, who will offer you an amazing flat at an unbelievably cheap price - if it's too good to be true, then it usually is just that. See the threads Beware of accommodation scams and Apartment rental scam suspected for some hallmarks of scam accommodation adverts.

Also make sure the word is put out at your GF's prospective workplace, via the intranet, bulletin board or whatever, that you are searching for something. Many times it's "someone who knows someone who..." that will get you a flat. And do try the local newspapers as well - accommodation ads are usually in the print editions on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Some of these print ads will be in the online edition as well, but quite a few of the print ads - particularly those from private persons as opposed to agencies - are not online. Get the papers early, and start ringing from 8:00 am onward to arrange a viewing. Mailing people (if you find something online) generally doesn't produce much in terms of results, as it really is a seller's market and thus people often concentrate on the phone calls and responding to mails falls by the wayside.

Good luck!

In terms of a job, how well do you speak German? Frankfurt is very international, but you will still need German as communication with your colleagues will almost certainly be in German. Plus to cope with bureaucracy, your landlord, your neighbors, people at the grocery store etc., English generally won't cut it.

There are lots of online resources you can use even now - the more you learn before you get here, the better. There are some good tips on resources available in this thread: Learning German cheaply.

The usual German job sites are stepstone.de, monster.de etc. (there's a thread here somewhere on German job sites, search for it). Get yourself a (free) profile on Xing.com, which is the main professional networking site used in Germany, and start networking there as well.

Once you get here, you'll need to register, more info on that on this TT Wiki page: Residence registration

And one very important topic, which you need to be aware of: Health insurance. All German residents are required by law to have German (or BaFin-approved international) health insurance. This is not automatic, you need to apply (and pay for it).

Hi

I am new here in Toytown hence, first, i apologize in case i am over passing already posted info.

I already read some threads but i didn't get what i need.

The text is a bit long but i would like to explain in detail to get the proper advice.

I am moving to Frankfurt (work VISA is on the way) and i will work in Niederrad.

I will move with my family, wife, 5 years girl and 3 years boy.

I, must probably, will move in mid-march and my family in august.

We do speak English and basic German but my kids just speak Portuguese.

So far what we have learned language may not be an issue for them. The 5 years girl will have one year to get acquainted with the language and habits as school year starts on September, and for the 3 years old boy we believe it will be pretty much easier.

Having said that, the first choice we have to make is where to live, which city? The variables listed below should guide this decision.

We would like to live in a house with 3 or 4 bedrooms as we expect to receive frequent visitors. So rent cost is the first variable to consider.

Kindergarten close to home and when my kids become older school quality are also variables that we shall take into account.

Last but not least, public transportation and frequency of them is also a variable. I would like to have a ride of around 30 minutes to get to work office.

I really do thank you in advance for your help.

best regards

Gleudson

ffsaengerin, that sort of defeats the purpose of an open forum. Your information may be valuable for others in a similar situation, it is considered good netiquette to share it in public.

Hello,

My sublease is ending soon and I need to find a new apartment. Do you have suggestions for websites, like Craigslist, where apartments are listed?

I know of immowelt.de and immobilienscout24.de, as well as The Local listings linked to Toytown.

I am here on a rather short, extendable (also temp) work contract and so prefer something furnished, or an extended sublet. Some sites have filters for provision/commission, but because of my short stay I'm not willing to pay a provision or buy a kitchen.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Marta

sarabyrd,

my reply was specific to one of the poster's questions about Niederrad- which is where I live. I'd be happy to share again if I see any specific question related to living in this area.

Hello All,

I will be moving to Frankfurt with my Native German girlfriend, I speak little to no recognisable German and will not have a job... so, why not eh!

I will be jumping into an "Intensive" German course at the Goethe institute for about 4 weeks to get me started, then out into the wide world.

I would love and appreciate your top 3 or even just top 1 tip on taking first steps in Germany in any of the following:

Entrepreneurialism

Radio and Media

Settling in

Beers on the town

Football - both playing and watching

Professional meet ups for English business owners.

Look forward to hearing from you

Cheers!

Step number one, Nailz: how are you going to get health insured? No joke! Read about it on Toytown. NO NHS here - you pay..but how, where, what for? What are the options? You have to be active and get health insured...you have to sign forms.

Welcome to Toytown and hope it all works out for you!

Something that helps all of us on TT is knowing where the "search" button is - top right of your screen - you can enter just about anything into it and if it has come up on TT already, you will get a link.

Welcome to TT!

Edit: oh, sorry, that was only one tip, wasn't it?!

2 - learn German

3 - don't expect the beer here to taste like the crap you get back home!

Hello everybody,

I have just found out about this forum and I want to ask your oppinion about a job offer as a Software Developer that I received from a company in Frankfurt am Main.

First of all to give you some background on my current situation. We currently live in Romania, EU. I'm currently working as a software developer here in Romania. This year I started to look for a job in Germany. We have 2 children, one is 4 and the other one is 1. I will be the only one working in my family.

I have received a job offer from a company in Frankfurt am Main at EUR 55k gross salary per year. I have put this number on this net salary calculator http://www.parmentier.de/steuer/steuer.htm?lohnst.htm and choosing tax category III it gives me a EUR 3098 per month, net salary. I understood that the child benefits would be at EUR 184 per month per child.

Would this amounth of money enough to live decently in Frankfurt? When I say decently I don't mean something fancy, just to have enough money to pay rent and all expenses for a 3 room apartment in a decent area in the suburbs, for groceries at the supermarket, transportation, owning a cheap car (under EUR 10k as value, I already have a car which I could take to Germany), normal clothes, eating out perhaps 1 or 2 times a month, an annual vacation (nothing luxurios), etc. I plan to take my oldest child in a state kinderdarten and my wife will take care of my youngest child.

I have looked at rent prices on imobilienscout and a 3 room apartment would be around EUR 900 - 1000 per month, including all charges (Gesamtmiete) so I will have around EUR 2100 plus child benefits after paying rent.

With this salary would I be able to save some money each month to have a saftey buffer?

I have tried to ask for more money to the company to get at least 60k gross salary per year but they don't seem to be willing to pay me more than 55k.

Thanks in advance for your oppinions.

uliris: What constitutes a decent salary (or a decent lifestyle on a particular salary) is really highly subjective, but you've already done most of the maths and I can tell you from experience that it's certainly possible to get by on far less, and on EUR 2100 plus benefits, after rent, you should be able to pay easily enough for all the things you mention, though I doubt you'll have a huge amount left over to save.