Moving to Frankfurt and my situation is unique

157 posts in this topic

Can anyone help me estimate the basic costs of living in Frankfurt? I understand that it is different for everyone depending on your needs and wants, but I am hopeful there is some kind of range that can be given for different things. I already understand what we should net after taxes, pension, health. We don't need a fancy or very large apartment, but of course it does need to be safe, and good access to transportation and walking distance to groceries and parks is important too. In the city is preferred, but we are also open to options outside if they don't require a very long commute for my husband who would be working not far from central Frankfurt, and fulfill our walkability needs. 3 bedrooms would be lovely, but 2 bedrooms is fine with us. My children are small and would go to public school or stay home with me. Is there costs associated with this for a 3 and 6 year old? Can anyone help me with a range for rent on an apartment, utilities, groceries, recreation, culture, phone, internet, etc. to help us make a final decision on a job offer? Thank you.

I am not going to give any estimates on budget, etc. but a flag went up when you said your kids would either go to public schools or stay home with you. Home schooling is not allowed in Germany, unless you are here under SOFA.

Have you used the Search Function yet, to find some of those answers to your questions?

Thank you for your reply Moondancer. I have searched existing posts, but I didn't find answers that hit quite what I was seeking for a family in Frankfurt. Regarding homeschooling, I am aware of this restriction. I was just simplifying re my two kids. One is not quite 3, so I don't know yet if she'll go to kindergarten or stay at home. I don't believe school is required at her age.

Hi,

I am considering about immigrating to Germany Frankfurt and hope to gather some information about the life in Frankfurt.

Firstly, if my qualifications is a Diploma in a country in Asia, is it possible to get a decent job in Frankfurt?

Secondly, how is the unemployment rate and cost of living in Frankfurt?

Thirdly, how is the crime rate in Frankfurt

and Lastly, how is the education system like in Frankfurt?

Please advise and thanks in advance.

All these topics are much discussed around here: Diploma recognition (really depends on the kind of diploma you have and the kind of job you're looking for: more info would get you better answers); cost of living; crime; and, well, the education system in Frankfurt is much as it is everywhere in Germany (taken as a system). Again, being more specific about your needs will get you better answers; suffice it to say that pretty much every kind of school (including international ones) can be found in Frankfurt.

Good luck!

Try using the search function top right of the screen. Search for example : life in Frankfurt, Frankfurt jobs etc etc

How good is your German? That is the main factor that helps determine your employability. Perhaps you could contact some German companies in Singapore as it may be more practical to have a job to come to.

If you wanted a more detailed response, you would need to be more specific about your lifestyle and expectations ie married/kids etc

Good luck

Hi, sorry for being to vague.

I am trying to learn German right now as I have heard that I will have an advantage doing so as I will be able to communicate with the locals better. I have just been to Frankfurt recently in its transit in the airport and I was very impressed by the excellent service received at the Frankfurt de Frankfurt International Airport. I saw from other websites that the living conditions in Frankfurt is much better in terms of salary and cost of living. If my source is correct, the unemployment rate is below 1 percent with is much more better than my country. Thanks anyway :)

Your source is not correct. I realize ExpatFocus.com is pushing these figures, but you might want to do a bit more research.

Plus, as others have said, the more specific you are when you ask questions, the better the advice will be that you get.

I am trying to learn German right now as I have heard that I will have an advantage doing so as I will be able to communicate with the locals better.

What pearls of wisdom... wish I'd had smart friends like yours before I moved here, would have solved all kinds of problems...

Oh... So not knowing German indeed pose difficulties...

It seems that Germany is one of the best countries in Europe in terms of quality of life and economy, not affected by the eurozone debt crisis. Even Italy and Spain got hit... Except Germany :)

HI,

I wud assume you are from Singapore. Having spent nearly 2 years in Singapore, I would recommend you stay there, unless you are willing to expose yourself to a system, very unlike Singapore. Whereas in Singapore the government more or less tells you what to do and how to do it, Germany is not like that. The unemployment rate is higher here than in Singapore. English and Mandarin are standard in Singapore. Here you have to speak German. If you are seriously considering a move you should perhaps think about working for a Chinese company, if there is one here. More information need to help you more.

What pearls of wisdom... wish I'd had smart friends like yours before I moved here, would have solved all kinds of problems...

Not necessarily a stupid question from the OP's point of view. In Holland for example speaking Dutch makes no difference whatsoever (I am almost fluent in Dutch). Bear in mind the OP is in Asia, he/she might not necessarily know the difference between all European languages.

Not necessarily a stupid question from the OP's point of view. In Holland for example speaking Dutch makes no difference whatsoever (I am almost fluent in Dutch). Bear in mind the OP is in Asia, he/she might not necessarily know the difference between all European languages.

This is UNTRUE. Yes, you can do great in the Netherlands without speaking Dutch, but to say that it makes no difference whatsoever? Come on. You must be highly qualified. Otherwise, you'd know how much harder it is to find work as a non-Dutch speaker. Even to volunteer, they sometimes weed you out. I'd say the same goes for other countries where English is widespread, like Scandinavia.

This is in addition to the huge hole that is left in one's social life if one does not speak Dutch. The Hollanders might say that they're inclusive and welcoming, but oh do they love to revert to their little Dutch conversations about inane things that one really has difficulty in penetrating without knowing the language, and that too, really well.

Frankfurt is a good place to live to focus on your career, easily grow your savings, enjoy a high standard of living on average income, easily travel to mainland Europe, enjoy fun free community activities year round and do outdoor activities 10 minutes from the city center.

Frankfurt is a horrible place to live because it is WAY too serious, the weather is gray all the time, people are angry, car drivers WANT to kill you and I never had so much food poisoning and viruses in all my life.

In terms of career, I came here with no knowledge of German on a Youth Mobility visa from Canada, valid for one year. I quickly was hired by a recruitment agency and started working at the European Central Bank after 2 months of landing. To this day, I picked up some German but have managed fairly well without it - career wise. In terms of figuring 'stuff' out such as banking, city hall, medical, insurance, etc, I could not do it without my German partner.

I would recommend trying to be hired by a company here, and have them sort all the 'stuff' out for you if you don't speak German, rather than just come here and fight to get a job and fight to 'enter' the system.

I am trying to learn German right now as I have heard that I will have an advantage doing so as I will be able to communicate with the locals better.

Ah now we know who subscribed to The Local.

In terms of career, I came here with no knowledge of German on a Youth Mobility visa from Canada, valid for one year. I quickly was hired by a recruitment agency and started working at the European Central Bank after 2 months of landing. To this day, I picked up some German but have managed fairly well without it - career wise.

In what field are you? How did you manage to work at the ECB without an EU passport? I thought only EU citizens are allowed to work at EU institutions.