Weisswurst - Munich speciality sausage

51 posts in this topic

Aaaaaah, the weisswurst. Never has anyone better created a perfect excuse to drink beer at breakfast time than the clever chap who, as legend would have it, stumbled upon the recipe by pure chance.

The 'birthplace' of these tasty breakfast treats is apparently "Gasthaus zum ewigen Licht" on Marienplatz. The story goes that on a Rosemontag in 1857, some olden-day equivalent of a kitchen porter was sent off to get some veal intestines to make sausages. He came back with pig intestines, which are much thicker and tougher than veal, so the chef, Sepp Moser, decided to use them anyway, but instead of grilling them , he poached them off in hot water.

Nowadays, weisswurst are normally eaten as a pair, accompanied by sweet mustard, brezn, and of course lashings of wiessbier. Tradition decrees that you should not eat wiesswurst after the midday church bells, and I'm all for any tradition that encourages morning beer drinking.

Cooking 'em

Now lets face it, nobody is actually going to bother to make a batch of weisswurst up from scratch, so lets not bother going into it much. Basically, they are pig intestines that are filled with a mixture of veal and pork, and flavoured with stuff like parsley, mace, nutmeg, and lemon. Recipes differ alot, but the "Münchner Weißwurst" patent as a Herkunftsbezeichnung has been applied for. This is basically to ensure that only wiesswurst made in the Munich area can be called Münchener Weisswurst. Bit like the way champagne can only be called that if it comes from there, otherwise its just fizzy piss.

post-46-1141370900.jpg

You are never going to enjoy weisswurstfrühstück at home as much as you will in a biergarten or something, but they're nice sometimes. When you cook them, you REALLY don't want the skin to split, so I never boil them. I basically steep them . that is, I bring the water to the boil, then take it off the heat, throw in the suasages and leave them for 15 minutes or so.

If you do buy some, go to a decent butcher. Wiesswurst shouldn't have gone through the treatment of adding salts to the meat, something that is done to alot of sausages to act as a preservative, so you want 'em fresh.

You will probably also see wollwurst in the butchers. They look alot like weisswurst, but with a weird looking furry texture. The actual sausagemeat mix is pretty much the same for wollwurst, but the difference is that they have no casing, and the sausage mixture is piped directly into hot water to set it. To cook 'em, you can dip them in milk, then fry them up.

Don't forget the beer.

Eating 'em

The actual consumption of weisswurst actually has some bizzare etiquette attached to it. Because the skins are thick and only serve as a casing, they should not be eaten. Whilst it may seem reasonable to simply cut a long silt in the skin, and remove it, the Bavarians have a different idea, and even a word to bloody describe it - Zuzeln, which pleasantly means 'to suck'. Basically, one end of the sausage is opened, and the filling sucked out - but only half of it. Then the other end of the sausage is opened, and the second half is sucked out. When one bears in mind that a half sucked out weisswurst looks like a condom hanging out of your mouth, I'd personally simply use a bloody knife and fork, but there we are.

My personal suggestion for tradition would be that there is a 2 beer minimum with a wiesswurstfrühstück. It's certainly something I try and stick to

TT recommended Places for a weisswurstfrühstück

Google Earth file for above recommendations.

Weisswurst.kmz

And your Weißbier of choice to wash em down?

Mine's a Gutmann Hefeweizen Hell. The cloudiest and tastiest. Brewed in Titting near Ingolstadt so it's hard to find in Minga. Great for your skin also coz it's loaded with yeast. No need for any of those skin creams after knocking back a few of these...

post-4557-1141373099_thumb.jpg

I have been told that Weisswurst was origianlly made from cow brain. But since mad cows disease this is no longer the case.

Does anyone know anything about this??

Some Germans say this is correct (they weren,t joking but maybe they were referring to another sausage) but others say it isn,t.

I've never seen a woman zutzeln, and I've never seen a man under the age of 65 zutzeln either. Just for the record.

No, never any brain in a Weisswurst either. Urban legend.

That beer recomendation was spot on. That is probably one of the best weiss biers in bavaria! I am impressed somebody got out of minga :)

Anyone interested in the origin of Münchner Weisswurst Senf or Süsser Senf invented in 1854 in Munich by Johann Conrad Develey .

1854 erfand Johann Conrad Develey den süßen Senf, der in Verbindung mit Weißwürsten als original Münchner Spezialität kulinarischen Weltruhm erlangte.

Er mischte seinem Dijon Senf, einer besonders scharfen Senf Rezeptur nach traditioneller französischer Herstellung, karamellisierten Zucker und eine ganz spezielle Gewürzmischung bei, die für den unvergleichlichen Geschmack sorgten.

Without a doubt the best weißbier is...Gutmann's. If you haven't tried it, then you haven't tasted a true weißbier.

That beer recomendation was spot on. That is probably one of the best weiss biers in bavaria! I am impressed somebody got out of minga

And I have seen many women and men auszutzeln. Not pretty, but not rare either.

The recipe I had been told:

put the sausages in the pot with water

bring to a boil

keep boiling for 2 minutes (never go over 3)

take off heat and pour into a ceramic bowl and cover

and then let sit for 10 minutes

I geuss just letting them steep for 15 is simpler.

i always was told never to boil a weisswurst

if you boil them, then they split.

split weisswurst are spoiled weisswurt, ergo don't boil

Me too Tospy:

Boil large pan of water

Take off heat

Add your Weisswurst

Let sit with the lid on for 8 minutes.

ER, a qustion for you.

I only know Süsser Senf being used with Weisswurst but the Senf was invented in 1854 and the Weisswurst in 1857. Do you happen to know what they ate the Süsser Senf with for the 3 years preceeding the invention of the Weisswurst?

There's no rule that says you can only eat süsser senf with weisswurst. You can eat it with whatever you want. It's also popular with Leberkäs.

Personally I like to dip my pretzels in it.