Blitz marathon in Bayern, Hessen..... Wednesday 18 April 2018

73 posts in this topic

Looks like thus Thursday 10/10/13 is another speed trap marathon across Germany. Over 3000 speed cameras out across Germany.

So in the infinite wisdom of the Baden Würtemburg and Rheinland Pfalz governments, they have decided to announce in advance that on 10 October the police will conduct a Blitzer Marathon. So now all of you Toytowners know too so on the other 364 days you can still drive like idiots if you wish. You can read about it in German on the radar control day report on the SWR website. All fixed radar devices will be activated as well as 1,600 mobile radar control stations in BW and 450 in RP.

We will have it as well here in Berlin, I think it will be in the whole country.

Maybe it is a good idea to move this thread to a more general area.

I agree, this should be moved to Life in Germany..

If more folk actually stuck to the speed limmits, then there would be the need for this sort of activity

When folk realise that they dong get to there destination "that much sooner" by speeding... the less stress there will be on the roads..

What they need to do is condition/educate the highways agencies into doing more repairs to the roads at night, thus agravating the day time commuters much less!

Even if they do the repairs at night, won't all the cones and blockades still be there in the daytime? They don't take them away until they are finished.

Minding the speed limits seems to be the reasonable thing to do. Of course, everyone in such a bleeding hurry all the time here. We almost got tramped in Ikea last night when we didn't follow the arrows. Talk about trout swimming upstream.

Barrier Repairs... Short Stretch of Tarmacing, pot hole repairs, and cutting the growth in the central reservations are just 4 of the anoyances I greet every week!

It is confirm it is country wide. Here were exactly the controls will be in Berlin:

http://www.berlin.de/imperia/md/content/polizei/pressestelle/389954/kontrollorte_blitzermarathon.pdf?start&ts=1380866346&file=kontrollorte_blitzermarathon.pdf

P.S., About repairs, I think the problem is because they send like 2 or 3 workers to each construction site, no wonder why it takes weeks or months. They should send more workers per site and have less simultaneous repairs.

Good Tip. Seems like people should be aware of this.

http://www.fr-online.de/auto/-blitz-marathon-am-donnerstag-was-autofahrer-wissen-muessen,1472790,24554400.html

So in the infinite wisdom of the Baden Würtemburg and Rheinland Pfalz governments, they have decided to announce in advance that on 10 October the police will conduct a Blitzer Marathon. So now all of you Toytowners know too so on the other 364 days you can still drive like idiots if you wish. You can read about it in German on the radar control day report on the SWR website. All fixed radar devices will be activated as well as 1,600 mobile radar control stations in BW and 450 in RP.

that actually is quite common, idea is to remind people to drive slowly, many many years ago on a long drive back from Myrtle Beach I got caught speeding (coming over a hill off the highway) about 5 mins from home. When I got home and collected the papers on blasted across the front page of the KW Record was "Police announce Speeding crackdown" yeah no kidding.

that actually is quite common, idea is to remind people to drive slowly, many many years ago on a long drive back from Myrtle Beach I got caught speeding (coming over a hill off the highway) about 5 mins from home. When I got home and collected the papers on blasted across the front page of the KW Record was "Police announce Speeding crackdown" yeah no kidding.

To me speed cameras should only be used to prevent speeding not for towns etc to collect money.

Hidden cameras are only there to collect money as they do in no way prevent speeding whereas cameras in plain view do actually do what they are meant to do and prevent speeding.

You can bet on the 10th there will be a lot less speeding than normal now it has been announced.

My observations over the years show that speed limits in Germany are treated merely as recommendations & certainly do not apply to particular manufacturers / colours. This explains why German motorists squeel when they behave the same in other countries & get caught.

Similar goes for "no overtaking" areas, STOP signs & so on.

To me speed cameras should only be used to prevent speeding not for towns etc to collect money.

Hidden cameras are only there to collect money as they do in no way prevent speeding whereas cameras in plain view do actually do what they are meant to do and prevent speeding.

You can bet on the 10th there will be a lot less speeding than normal now it has been announced.

You don't think that getting 2 or 3 tickets in the mail might actually cause some people to slow down? The only other option would be to lose one's license.

Funny that some complain about apparently reckless driving in Germany but get their undies all wet when Germans stop on red pedestrian lights and wait for green while the TTer crosses on red "because I am a grown up and can make an intelligent decision". <_<

To lazy to find that thread now.

Haters gonna hate. Honestly Germany has probably the best behaved drivers in the world, but people still have to complain about something. And of course, there are idiots everywhere.

P.S., I think people are more or less well behaved here as a consequence of the "follow the rules" mentality.

You don't think that getting 2 or 3 tickets in the mail might actually cause some people to slow down? The only other option would be to lose one's license.

Not so long ago "new" stationary "Blitzer" were set up close to a nearby shopping center (in Schenefeld) on a 4-lane highway where 50 is the limit. One can just about see the Ortsausgangsschildt in the distance & many drivers have to ensure that they are not doing less than 100 when passing that sign.

Anyhow one car was reported to have been "blitzed" at that location FOUR times within a few days. So much for learn effect.

As for loosing the license - it seems that a certain number of people continue to drive anyway.

Anyhow one car was reported to have been "blitzed" at that location FOUR times within a few days. So much for learn effect.

Someone will have a big surprise in the mailbox soon.

I always believed in the old adage that prevention is better than cure but obviously not.

What if at one of these hidden cameras someone has or causes an accident that wouldn't have happened if they had known cameras were there and had slowed down?

The idea is that speeding is dangerous so why allow people to speed just so you can collect a financial reward?

What if at one of these hidden cameras someone has or causes an accident that wouldn't have happened if they had known cameras were there and had slowed down ?

How would a camera cause an accident? I don't understand.

I don't think he is saying that the camera causes the accident. The opposite actually, that knowing the camera was there would prevented the accident from happening.