Recommendation for international movers

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I will be permanently relocating to Nuernberg next year. We are coming from California and I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with an international moving company that they could recommend?

My husband is thinking he would prefer a German-based company to handle the move, but we're open either way.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if you have moved or made a moving company decision yet. If you are still looking for a mover, this information may help…..

We moved in April of 2012 from Wisconsin to Freiburg and we just moved on January 1st from Freiburg to Nürnberg.

We used Northamerican Van Lines for our international move. They partnered with DMS here in Germany. We were very happy with the service, professionalism and care they took with our possessions on both the US side and the German side. Their estimates on our containers arrival and delivery were totally accurate and we had our things 3 days ahead of the date they estimated. No damages, no problems.

For our move to Nürnberg we contacted DMS again and they coordinated our move with a local moving company in Freiburg (Diebold). Again, we received excellent service.

Here is our DMS representatives contact information. This company coordinates moves with your local movers. They are located in Berlin, but work with other moving companies around the world.

Best of luck on your move.

DMS Deutsche Möbelspedition GmbH & Co. KG

Rudower Chaussee 12, 12489 Berlin, Germany

T +49 (0)30 6779868 22 F +49 (0)30 6779868 23

ehser@dms-logistik.de, www.dms-logistik.de

I used Blue Horizon Shipping out of Miami. I can't remember where I found it but there's a government list of accredited shippers. You can probably go to the Blue Horizon website and find their number and do a search from there. Essentially, what I found out is they all subcontract the move. That is, the person that takes care of the paperwork (ie. Blue Horizon) subcontracts the person that comes to your door and moves the container to the docks, etc. My only problem with them and my move was unusual in that I brought a vintage car that I restored with me. The movers used two lousy ratchet straps and a couple of cardboard boxes to separate my household goods from my car. I made them go to Home Depot and buy wood to create a separation barrier. The tension between myself and Blue Horizon went downhill from there. I was also hit with a lot of Dock Fees (Demurage Fees) as they like to call them because nobody watched the calendar to see when it was time to pick my stuff up from the port in Germany. Other than all that, I would say they did a good job... my stuff got here in one piece and their sub-contracts were professional on both ends. I would recommend getting rid of whatever you don't absolutely need and start over over here. If not, don't bring a car with you. If you do, be prepared for a lot of stress and watch the movers like a hawk. Also be prepared for extra fees on top of what they charge you in the states. My bill was approximately $10k for a 40 foot container door to door. Luckily my wife's company paid for most of it. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips/recommendations for movers. We haven't moved yet (a few months to go) but we have narrowed down the bidders to 3, surveys have been done and we expect to get responses soon. We aren't bringing our cars so that will make it a bit easier. Things are ramping up - lots to do!

Hiya!

I'm curious to know how the move went and which company you finally chose? It would be helpful to know which companies you considered, as well. We're about to move things from CA to Germany and are trying to decide on a moving company. Thanks!

Hi,

We used Paul V. Maur in Germany and Crown Worldwide in San Leandro, CA for our move. It went perfectly - no damage, ontime, people on both sides very helpful and hard working. I told both companies to feel free to use us as references. They are partners and FIDI members. Since we were moving to Germany, Paul Maur was the lead company but I would feel equally comfortable with Crown taking the lead.