Cycle routes and cycling paths around Munich

34 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of any cycle route from Munich to Starnberg? The more scenic the better but not tough routes!

Or know of a web site where I can find one? I've been searching but not found anything yet :(

cheers!

I don't know the route exactly, but there are signs along the bikepaths from Westpark onwards, showing the way. It should be too difficult, once you get onto the Wurm, as you just follow that most of the way, if I remember correctly.

From: BIKING ARCHIVE - Mountain biking in the Bavarian Forest

The low mountains of the Bavarian Forest provide the ideal conditions for sports-minded cyclists. 18 way-marked circular routes - all identified with their different lengths and difficulties - lure you into the green heart of Europe. The whole area lies in the Bavarian Forest National Park. All routes are way marked with the numbers given in the route descriptions, as well as direction marked. For the most part the routes run on forest tracks, which apart from forestry vehicles, are not used by any traffic. Asphalted tracks alternate with well-built, metalled paths. Every route starts and ends at the railway station in Zwiesel. Cycles travel free on all trains throughout the region. The new brochure "Mountain biking in the Zwiesel area" contains 18 routes each with a precise description and a gradient profile. It is available for a nominal fee of 4 DM from the Spa and Tourist Information Centre in Zwiesel, Stadtplatz 27, 94227 Zwiesel, Tel. +49 (0) 9922/840523, Fax +49 (0) 9922/5655, e-mail: zwiesel.tourist@t-online.de.

Hi there,

I need ideally online maps.

My aim is to find a "geräumt" cycle route from Mangfallplatz to Oberhaching.

Last winter the long straight track Alte Oberbibergerstrasse (which I cycle every morning) (passes by Kugler Alm by the way) was not cleared and I fell off the bike several times when it was icy in the dark. No fun.

I am trying to find a link from Grunwald to Wörnbrunn Forsthaus pub. Anyone any ideas?

Jeremy.

Does anyone know where I can find information on planning bike rides in/around Munich.

Specifically this time to Erding from the city centre.

Any good websites that show bike trails etc?

Any info appreciated! Cheers.

Topics merged by admin

is there such thing as a route planner for biking in munich? or atleast websites with recommended routes? preferably around the perlacherforst/ Unterhaching area...

thanx

Topics merged by admin

Hi TT'ers,

I usually cycle rather than drive in Munich as I don't own a car.

Does anyone have any ideas / links as to where I can find an online cycle router finder for Munich?

Any help appreciated,

Sam Sung

Topics merged by admin

My husband uses a software product called Magic Maps- he bought the bayern version.

I think their website is magicmaps.de. The SW and website is all in german though.

Otherwise, he uses mapmyride.com

Good luck!

Thanks guys,

Radl Routing, I think looks like the best!

Another fast and helpful answer from the folk on TT.

Hi MysteryMan

I realise that it is several years since this post was written but I'm interested in the ADFC cycling maps. I looked at them on amazon.de and there seems to be 2 that service the Munich area, München, Alpenvorland and München, Mittlere Isar. Do you, or anyone else reading this, know the difference between them or where I can find them in a shop to take a look at? My husband wants a Munich bike map which needs to go up as far as Garching bei Munchen and I'm trying to find a good one for him.

Thanks

Immi

München Mittlere Isar covers the whole of Munich, with Wasserburg in the SE and Landshut in the NE, so will do the job just fine. Most bookshops sell these maps.

Bear in mind though that different map companies consider different routes to be "cycle routes", so no one map is a definitive guide. The main one to compare it to are the state topographical maps, which have the added advantage of being a larger scale (1:50,000 instead of 1:75,000).

If you want to cycle within Munich (i.e. to Garching etc) I prefer larger scale maps.

Münchner Radlspass shows good cycling routes but unfortunately not all streets - leading to disorientation.

So I always use it in combination with an accurate street map of the Munich Großraum, such as this one: ADAC map. (Although I find a map in book format the most handy for cycling.)