Now faster way (back) into public health insurance

313 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, jeba said:

That can happen even if you change your public insurance provider because each company is free to enter into a contract with the manufacturer who offers them the best deal. And that can vary.

That doesn't sound open to abuse at all... ;)

8 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I looked into it at some point when I had to spend a week in hospital and it was about 100 per day.  It's not important enough to me to pay that.  Besides, roomies can be fun sometimes.

😂

Roomies CAN be fun but my 80 year old friend Pete on Crete decided they wouldn't be when he ended up in hospital in a multi-bed room!

He was the first in when he went in and noticed the TV was close to his bed. So he took matters into his own hands and hid the remote control.

During the day, more and more men turned up. One wanted the telly on and asked one of the hospital staff where the remote control was. No body could find it!

So Pete spared himself- very loud talk shows, quiz shows, cookery shows. I mean LOUD. Greeks in general have a higher cultural tolerance for noise than the average German. 

What he couldn't avoid- the presence of the patients' wives for up to 16 hours a day, chatting non- stop about tomatoes and potatoes etc😂.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

7 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

That doesn't sound open to abuse at all... ;)

Public insurance companies are not-for-profit and management is voted in by those insured.

10 minutes ago, john g. said:

😂

Roomies CAN be fun but my 80 year old friend Pete on Crete decided they wouldn't be when he ended up in hospital in a multi-bed room!

He was the first in when he went in and noticed the TV was close to his bed. So he took matters into his own hands and hid the remote control.

During the day, more and more men turned up. One wanted the telly on and asked one of the hospital staff where the remote control was. No body could find it!

So Pete spared himself- very loud talk shows, quiz shows, cookery shows. I mean LOUD. Greeks in general have a higher cultural tolerance for noise than the average German. 

What he couldn't avoid- the presence of the patients' wives for up to 16 hours a day, chatting non- stop about tomatoes and potatoes etc😂.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

The first time a was in hospital for a kidney stone (following 6 weeks of keto-diet - so much for that) was when I was 16 years old. Then already I asked my dad to take out private top-up insurance for me, so I could avoid repeating that experience. I´m not a people´s person, I guess.

29 minutes ago, jeba said:

Not necessarily. E.g. anaesthesia you don´t really need, but want, and for which your doctor/dentist needs to call in an anaesthetist, will usually not be covered by public insurance.

Not true. My dentist called one in for me once when I had a tooth pulled. I never got a bill.

But then you did say "not usually". I guess I'm unusual. :)

Just now, fraufruit said:

Not true. My dentist called one in for me once when I had a tooth pulled. I never got a bill.

But then you did say "not usually". I guess I'm unusual. :)

My son had 4 withdom teeth pulled and he was refused cover for anaesthesia by TK. That was last year.

11 minutes ago, jeba said:

Public insurance companies are not-for-profit and management is voted in by those insured.

Hmmm...

Why does Germany need so many different not-for-profit public insurance companies?
Surely it would make more sense to have a single, centralised, government run insurance system?

6 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

Hmmm...

Why does Germany need so many different not-for-profit public insurance companies?
Surely it would make more sense to have a single, centralised, government run insurance system?

No, I would object to that. The different public insurance companies offer different frills beyond what is mandated and for different prizes.  E.g. some may pay for things others won´t or they will subsidize e.g. gym classes to incentivize their members to keep fit etc.etc.

10 minutes ago, jeba said:

e.g. gym classes to incentivize their members to keep fit etc.

Really? Who offers this? Just curious. It's actually quite nice to see pro-active health care, rather than simply reactive.

Worked with one company in Berlin who organized various onsite fitness like classes this for their employees.

I see many 'wellness', 'spa' and so on resorts, especially around the lakes and other places.

Do health insurance companies pay for such things? Public or Private? You presumably need to be recovering from something etc?

Just now, scook17 said:

Really? Who offers this? Just curious

E.g. TK had a contract with my gym subsidizing 2 gym classes per year with € 75 each. SDK would even have paid them in full. That was pre-covid though, so I'm not up-to date as I haven´t been at a German gym since. They also offered to pay for anti-allergic matress and pillow casings for my son who is allergic to mites.

5 minutes ago, scook17 said:

Also I see many 'wellness', 'spa' and so on resorts, especially around the lakes and other places.

Do health insurance companies pay for such things? Public or Private? You presumably need to be recovering from something etc?

Private only if your contract stipulates for it. Public yes, but only if you qualify for a "Kur" or "REHA". Sorry, I´m no longer up-to-date with the details. But my SIL visited a REHA together with her allergic child, who was suffering from neurodermatitis. It was paid for by public insurance (more than 10 years ago).

13 minutes ago, scook17 said:

Really? Who offers this? Just curious. It's actually quite nice to see pro-active health care, rather than simply reactive.

Worked with one company in Berlin who organized various onsite fitness like classes this for their employees.

I see many 'wellness', 'spa' and so on resorts, especially around the lakes and other places.

Check out the TK Bonus Plan. I've used it to fund help fund a gym membership and most recently to buy a Garmin watch.

28 minutes ago, jeba said:

No, I would object to that. The different public insurance companies offer different frills beyond what is mandated and for different prizes.  E.g. some may pay for things others won´t or they will subsidize e.g. gym classes to incentivize their members to keep fit etc.etc.

Those options could easily be integrated into a centralised system where there is a list of all the possible "frills", each costing a certain number of points. Everyone gets a pot of points to spend each year on whatever frills they want. You could even buy top-up points if you wanted to take advantage of more of the extras.
It could massively simplify the public insurance system. At the moment, it takes a huge amount of effort to compare the different options that the different companies offer.

44 minutes ago, john g. said:

Nice one :)

7 hours ago, jeba said:

Even cherry pickers who go private when young and healthy and who want to go public once old and frail?

These cherry pickers will vanish if you re-design the system properly. Israel has borrowed the German Krankenkasse system, but redesigned it much better:

1. Every resident is obliged to be a member of the Krankenkasse. Employee, unemployed, business owner, does not matter: everyone pays into National Insurance, then the money is redistributed between individual Krankenkassen. 

2. There is a waiting period of 6 months for former residents who moved abroad and returned. During these 6 months, you have to buy some kind of private package (also sold by Krankenkassen).

3. Krankenkassen sells some "gold" and "platinum" packages which include treatments not refunded by Ministry of Health, dental things etc. 

4. I don't know if this "private room for rich" bullshit exists, but probably yes because Israeli hospitals earn a lot of money from medical tourists. I personally would never want this: talking to the roommates made me feel much better in Bavarian hospitals. So, I guess you can buy this from private insurers. 

5. In addition, what is called "health insurance" is actually insurance against severe illness which affects your ability to work (cancer etc.). You get 100% disability from National Insurance, but it is about 1000 euro per month. This health insurance pays you much more, every month. Cost? I pay 25 euro per month.

You see, if you ban private insurers from securing basic healthcare, you will not lose all the perks. You will get them anyway, much cheaper.

6 hours ago, Namu said:

You can have this too with public insurance if you pay extra while in hospital. But do you really need private insurance for that?

I boycotted the private during my time in Germany. This is robbery what they do. 

52 minutes ago, Eric7 said:

Hmmm...

Oh, I dunno! It is easy these days!😂

Compare 1992 to now!!!!

https://www.sozialpolitik-aktuell.de/files/sozialpolitik-aktuell/_Politikfelder/Gesundheitswesen/Datensammlung/PDF-Dateien/abbVI21b.pdf

I think the reason is purely historical when many larger employers had their own KK. 

TK was originally for engineers only AFAIK. 

I'm sure there is room for improvement. But I'd object to a monolithic government-run system like the NHS. Competition is a good thing.

7 hours ago, Eric7 said:

Those options could easily be integrated into a centralised system where there is a list of all the possible "frills", each costing a certain number of points. Everyone gets a pot of points to spend each year on whatever frills they want. You could even buy top-up points if you wanted to take advantage of more of the extras.
It could massively simplify the public insurance system. At the moment, it takes a huge amount of effort to compare the different options that the different companies offer.

Your last sentence- no insurance broker I know can do that willingly, either. There is no commission on public insurance - those I know deal with 2-3 maximum. 
I help people get into public health insurance when it makes sense for them or they really need it. Nothing in it financially for me - a lot of karma, yes , and hope people come back for dessert for other stuff but the rules need changing. 

Last week, a rep came from a public insurance Kasse to the office. 

" My God, our Zusatzbeitrag is 0.2 % lower than X, Y, Z's "... bla bla.

" Your clients can benefit. They can switch NOW."

Ach ja?

What's the incentive?

And when I asked about foreigners moving to Germany and " wierdo scenarios " ( eg moving from the UK post-Brexit...)

" das muss ich mit meinem Chef klären."

Yeah, right...