Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Barilla CEO: Gays can eat someone else's pasta

39 posts in this topic

Looks like this Italian put his foot in his mouth. You should never discuss religion, politics and sexual orientation as a business owner.

He will also have issues with employees, who are gay. Now, granted the interview said that he will not feature gays in his ads, because he wants to "typical old school" woman/mother/wife to represent the brand. More of the "typical" family. He also said that gays may like the pasta and eat it, or they may not and not eat it. This is the problem, he knows nothing about gay families. Men cook for other men and women cook for other women. AND, guess what, sometimes they have children that they cook for.

I can see the PR coming out in force to correct this ignorant comment. The pasta is okay, but the CEO needs to get schooled!!

Godfather, mistress and wife! ;)

I can see the PR coming out in force to correct this ignorant comment. The pasta is okay, but the CEO needs to get schooled!!

There must be a few brands out there that don't use gays, non-whites, fat people, disabled people, the elderly, etc., in their ads, but no-one has really noticed and their PR people know not to say why.

Wonder if any gay families were buying this brand partly because they were also buying into the "happy family" image.

Barilla products are decent enough, but I prefer De Cecco. Just as well I don't know their opinions, or those of the owners and managers of any number of other products I enjoy. Probably wouldn't be pretty.

I like how the guy tried to backtrack afterwards, no doubt after an immense amount of pressure from PR and investors, and then does it in the most completely fake and insincere way as possible. Pathetic man.

The pasta is okay, but the CEO needs to get schooled!!

Barilla is privately owned so he doesn't have to bother about investors making a fuss.

The way Barilla voiced his opinion was certainly harsh but I'm not going to boycott their products just because some pressure group has no worse problems than to obsess about not being represented in TV ads paid for by someone else.

As it happens Rewe currently has special sales offers for Barilla products and I took advantage of that.

Even if there is a boycott, I am sure that it is not going to affect Barilla Corporation. Their brand is shipped internationally and many will support the CEO, as they have "traditional" family values. Most companies are not using "gay families" in their commercials or to portray their brands.

Hopefully the CEO has learned to keep his mouth shut on personal views and forward these type of questions to his PR department.

I don't always believe in boycotting a product, because it affects the employees first. They lose their job when sales are dropping, not the CEO.

One of the first times I shopped in a German supermarket, I made the mistake of buying a cheap German brand of pasta. The result was whitish semi-transparent glutinous guck. A quick lesson in buying Italian pasta!

How does this CEO know that they haven't already used gay actors in their commercials?

Chances are they have but not to play gay roles.

I bet that would make him squirm.

while on the one hand, there is no real practical reason to eat only Barilla noodles, I'm sure the people who do, think they do it because it is a superior product. And people who think paying a like 200% difference in price for some dried up wheat amalgam is really helping them achieve the quality of life they feel they deserve are probably not going to stop buying it, unless they are gay and deeply offended by the comments. Even I as a staunch Ally am pretty sure that if you told me one person who works for a company whose products I regard as worth paying a ridiculous mark-up for thought gays were yucky I would probably secretly (or not so secretly, but perhaps affectedly sheepishly, when my gay friends were around) keep buying it.

Luckily there is no product to which I am so loyal that were I to deeply, truly object to its producer's ethics I would find myself bound in a moral quandary.

On the other hand, it's probably smarter, if you want to make incendiary social commentary, to control at least a near-monopoly in your field. For example, if Qwest or Pacific Northwest Bell or the Democrats or whoever else said, we don't approve of unwed mothers, there wouldn't be much a lot of them could do, without foregoing telephone service or the illusion of political choice altogether. Not a terribly calculated move if one wants to get away with one's statements while suffering no repercussions whatsoever.

I will have to retract my boycott anyway because I don't think I can live without Barilla's arrabiata and gorgonzola sauces from the jar. I paid more than a euro more today for another brand but I doubt it is as good. As for noodles, I always buy the cheapest.

Most companies are not using "gay families" in their commercials or to portray their brands.

So, What would a Gay familly sucsessfully promote?

Crisco?...

Piz Buin Ski balm... stops you getting a Chap on your cheaks??

There must be a billion product placement opportunities on Modern Family if the producers were so inclined.