EXPATTAX - Thomas Zitzelsberger - English-speaking tax advice, available to clients Germany-wide

155 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Celia Thomas said:

Hello, 
I'd appreciate any advice on the following: 
I (67 years old, US citizen) moved to Germany in July 2018 to work in an academic institution. I am considering filing 2018's income tax (I am in Steuerklasse IV, so this is optional). Specifically, I am wondering if I need to report my US SS income (I have been drawing benefits for the past few years) to the German authorities. I asked two tax professionals: one thought I'd be eligible for a substantial refund, but another claimed that my social security benefits would thus need to be reported in Germany, and that I'd end up owing taxes. That seems bizarre to me, since I already filed and paid taxes in the US, reporting both my benefits and my German salary.

Any advice (or tips on who to contact or more generally) would be hugely appreciated

This here is the reference/comment section under a paid advertising of an excellent tax advisor for Expats. Please scroll down to the actual forum and post your question there...

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hi, I am a freelancer and I have to travel from time to time to my client. This client told me to give them all my bills to pay me back the same amount that I spend. I need to include those amounts in my monthly bill.

My question is how to handle a situation like this in my tax declaration:

• Do I declare that extra money as income and then I declare the same amount as a working expense?
  • Do I claim the VAT back for those travelling expenses or that is up to my client?

Thank you.

Looking for a tax service for mainly Spanish spieling friend and Expat. Any recommendations for a Steuerberater in Germany speaking Spanish?

thanks

On 1.3.2020, 21:11:32, Felix Gebert said:

Looking for a tax service for mainly Spanish spieling friend and Expat. Any recommendations for a Steuerberater in Germany speaking Spanish?

thanks

Hi Felix, 

does your friend speak any English or German at all? If he does, please pass on our details and let him contact us (all our details are on www.expattax.de ). I am sure we will find some way forward. Ok? Looking forward to hearing from your friend. 

Posted by EXPATTAX; Thomas Zitzelsberger - Toytown advertiser

Hello everyone, 

EXPATTAX has always provided all tax services to English speaking individuals remotely. So, now that many Expats are stuck in their home office, they can now conveniently and safely look after their taxes -  when they are done with all the board games, watched all of Neflix and have surfed to the last page of the internet. Give us a shout for a little change and get these long avoided taxes out of the way. It beats boredom, you may even get money back - and if none of this works for you, maybe we can just have a little laugh on the phone.

posted by

Thomas Zitzelsberger - founder of EXPATTAX.de

TT advertiser 

Hello,

Would like to ask a sincere question:

I've made my tax return declaration to my tax adviser) and they've estimated around 600 euros to get back.

After i've sent them also an invoice for a laptop (around 430 euros)

He calculated for me finally minus!! -15,06 or something like that

Can really tax category 3 and Elterngeld to turn the situation to minus?!

I've asked him why , and he answered :

"das Papier war eine vorläufige Berechnung. Zu dem Zeitpunkt waren uns noch nicht alle Informationen bekannt.

Ich habe Ihnen gestern die Berechnung geschickt. der Berechnung können Sie entnehmen, dass Sie leider nachzahlen müssen.
Sie haben die Steuerklasse 3 und Ihre Frau hat Elterngeld bekommen. Sie haben also zu wenig Einkommensteuer gezahlen. Deswegen müssen Sie leider dieses Mal nachzahlen. Und das ist das bestmögliche Ergebnis. Besser als das kann es leider nicht werden"

Thanks guys!

Gordansky

Dear Gordansky, 

the short answer to your question is: yes, this is possible. 

I suppose, this does not fully answer your question as you are probably much more interested in "why? " and "how can this be?".  The problem seems to be that your accountant gave you an estimate based on incomplete details. This is always dangerous and this is exactly the reason why it does not really make a lot of sense now to progress here, as I can obviously only speculate based on the few parameters I have, rather than give you tax advice. Feel free to send your full details and we can have a bit of a closer look. Please refer to this message to make sure that I look after this personally for you. ok? If you perfer not to go that route, let me tell you this: I have seen such situations many many time. In almost all cases, the final computation is the correct one. It is just unfortunate that your expectations were raised based on incomplete parameters. Hope this helps. 

Thomas Zitzelsberger, www.expattax.de

Toytown advertiser   

Hello hello,

I'm not sure if you can advise on this as it's quite a new issue - I've been wondering what the tax situation will look like in regards to the US coronavirus stimulus checks for US citizens living and filing taxes in Germany.

For its part, the IRS has declared that it does not view the economic impact payments as taxable income; recipients get to keep the full amount.

However, I don't know if the Finanzamt will respect that designation - I hear that the German stimulus payments some freelancers/self-employed people got here in DE, for instance, are regarded as fully taxable income.

It's also a question I'm hesitant to call the Finanzamt about in case they haven't thought about it, aha...

Thanks very much for any advice! 

Hello,

I am a full time employee in Germany. I've a YouTube channel and so far it has not made any money. But it is growing and at the current rate I should be able to earn money from my YouTube channel starting August 2020. I do not expect a lot of earning from YouTube channel - less than Euro 1000 surely. My question is what I need to do now regarding taxes and my situation?:

- Should I create a company for my youtube? Maybe Kleinunternehmen makes sense?

- Given the income will be small can I just add it in my overall income I get as an employee while doing tax return? This will be my preffered option if I will not be doing anything wrong

Thank you for your advise.

Regards,

Avikar

Anyone have a recommendation for an English speaking tax consultant? All the ones I've contacted on TT have not replied. 

Well I've been using Thomas's Office for the past 10 years and I can highly recommend him.

I never had an issue with communication, they answer everything very fast. Did you try directly from his site :

https://www.expattax.de/contact/

Hi Thomas - I've posted a question in the Finance forum here on TT about my liability (or otherwise) for Zweitwohnunssteuer on a property that I own, which is my only property in Germany.  I'm not registered as resident in Germany (and owing to Covid haven't actually been to Germany for over a year now).  

Previous advice I received is that as it's my only property in Germany, Zweitwohnungssteuer should not be due.  However the local town has now sent me an invoice.  

If you'd be able to add any clarity, that would be great.  

On 17.9.2021, 12:45:55, altbobbins said:

Hi Thomas - I've posted a question in the Finance forum here on TT about my liability (or otherwise) for Zweitwohnunssteuer on a property that I own, which is my only property in Germany.  I'm not registered as resident in Germany (and owing to Covid haven't actually been to Germany for over a year now).  

Previous advice I received is that as it's my only property in Germany, Zweitwohnungssteuer should not be due.  However the local town has now sent me an invoice.  

If you'd be able to add any clarity, that would be great.  

Hi Altbobbins, 

Zweitwohnungssteuer is a local tax and the rules can differ from town to town. So there is no general answer really to cover the whole of Germany. Having said that, in almost all cases you need to pay the tax, unless the property is your main private residence.

Hope this helps. 

Thomas Zitzelsberger, Stb

www.expattax.de 

29 minutes ago, Yanko said:

Hi Altbobbins, 

Zweitwohnungssteuer is a local tax and the rules can differ from town to town. So there is no general answer really to cover the whole of Germany. Having said that, in almost all cases you need to pay the tax, unless the property is your main private residence.

Hope this helps. 

Thomas Zitzelsberger, Stb

www.expattax.de 

What if one has a small 2nd property in the same city that's used as a commercial office?

For example, my accountant in Berlin wrote:

"Meines Erachtens fällt hierbei keine Zweitwohnungssteuer an, sofern Sie sich dort nicht mit Nebenwohnsitz anmelden und im Zweifelsfall nachweisen können, dass die Wohnung ausschließlich als Büro und unter keinen Umständen für private Wohnzwecke genutzt wird."