EXPATTAX - Thomas Zitzelsberger - English-speaking tax advice, available to clients Germany-wide

134 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Antonio Carpenter said:

All,

I'm a newcomer to the German tax business. I just retired from the Department of Defense in Oct 17 and was wondering how does the German Government notify one on how to submit German taxes? Will my local Rathaus notify me? the German Finance Ministry? who?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Tony

Hi Tony, 

please feel free to contact me and we can discuss: tz@expattax.de 

Thomas Zitzelsberger

Steuerberater 

2 minutes ago, Antonio Carpenter said:

Mr. Zitzelsberger,

I'd like to call you next week (Monday) to discuss your services. Please provide me your telephone number.

Cheers,

Tony

Try reading the first post in the thread

Very friendly and professional. Had a phone conversation with Thomas a few months back in regards my own tax situation. Very honest and polite. Was a good conversation. Would definitely get in touch again. Also his coworkers are prompt and professional. He seems busy at times, but will get back when he has the opportunity 

Year end 2018 is the deadline to file German tax returns for 2017 - in many cases

Year end can be the deadline for many tax matters in Germany - although there are so many exceptions it is hard to put this in a short general statement. To make sure you do not miss out on a refund claim, you should contact an accountant. But keep in mind that many accountants in this country are quite busy towards the end of the year. October is usually not too bad, but don't leave it much later to avoid last minute panic action. 

Posted by EXPATTAX; Thomas Zitzelsberger - Toytown advertiser

I received a rather aggressive email from the finanzamt in Leipzig (where I lived last year - now I live in Berlin) telling me that I must file my tax report by 16.10.2018 - are the deadlines different in Saxony or something? I was planning on contacting Thomas Zitzelsberger about being my stgeuerberater but at this late notice I think I will have to do them all myself :( which is a shame as I only earned 15.5K last year. 

25 minutes ago, terenceterence said:

I received a rather aggressive email from the finanzamt in Leipzig (where I lived last year - now I live in Berlin) telling me that I must file my tax report by 16.10.2018 - are the deadlines different in Saxony or something? I was planning on contacting Thomas Zitzelsberger about being my stgeuerberater but at this late notice I think I will have to do them all myself :( which is a shame as I only earned 15.5K last year. 

If am not mistaken , when you are doing them yourself you have to do it by 31 of May (or ask before that deadline) for an extension until September 30.

If a Steuerberater is already doing your taxes the deadline is by the end of the year.

And since you consider working with Thomas and his team, you can add me as one of the satisfied customers for the past 8 years.

Hi Terence, 

I will be in touch later today. This should not be a problem, don't worry. 

Thanks Alex - hope all is well! 

On 11/10/2018, 08:54:26, Zitzelsberger said:

Hi Terence, 

I will be in touch later today. This should not be a problem, don't worry. 

Thanks Alex - hope all is well! 

Hello all - I'd just like to say I spoke with Herr Zitzelberger on the phone, and while I won't be using his services this year as it's not necessary, I honestly haven't had such a wonderful and assuring conversation with someone on the phone in Germany since I've lived here. He was incredibly helpful and frank - and next year I will certainly be availing of his services. No doubt.

I was more than impressed after my conversation with Thomas.

I am a born and raised American and my wife is a born and raised German. We recently relocated from the states to her childhood home in Germany and were totally lost about taxes and our responsibilities. Between my Foreign Earned Income, tax treatys, kindergeld and German health system we were so confused.  Well after a lengthy conversation wth this true expert...I'll have to admit it was not all together good news concerning our new tax burdens. But my wife and I were both more than happy with his solid explanation and knowledge of both German and American taxes and even some very sound advice. Now we know what's going on and how to make sure we are doing things correctly.

Highest recommendation for this professional! Talk to him, he knows!!!

Deadline for filing your German 2018 income tax return - Good news and Bad news:

If you file your annual income tax return through an accountant, you used to have December 31st 2019 as the deadline. This year the deadline is extended for the first time until February 28th 2020 for your 2018 tax filing. So this is great - an extra 2 months (in future years you will always have the extra 2 months). Bad news: in the past the late filing penalties were at the discretion of the tax office (if you always filed late you were fined, or if you were really late, or if you owed a lot of tax). Now, the penalties kick in automatically and you have no comeback. And they are clocking up from month to month, no matter what. 

Practical aspect: Don't start with your 2018 taxes after Christmas 2019 in a panic - accountants tend to be very busy around that time and it can be very hard at that point to meet the deadline.  

On 9/11/2019, 10:23:14, Zitzelsberger said:

Hi,

Just sent you an email. Looking forward to hearing back from you. 

10 minutes ago, ghazif said:

Hi,

Just sent you an email. Looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Thank you, I will be in touch very shortly! 

Thomas Zitzelsberger